Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An "ugly" period in equipment design...

An "ugly" period in equipment design...

http://www.centenaryarchers.gil.com....chery_gear.htm

Came across this website of "state of the art" gear from about 7-8 years ago. Man, what were they thinking?!? Had to be the ugliest period in target archery design since the 60's! ha, ha.

I vote for the W&W Xpert as the winner of the ugliest riser ever. But the Spig. Revolution is certainly a close second, don't you think?

Life is too short to shoot an ugly bow...

John
    Renegade Archer

I have too many riser already, BUT, if I was going to get one for cool value, I would not mind having a red, white and green, Spigarelli Revolution. It is beautiful in its ugliness.
    Barebow Recurve

I've seen a couple of those W&W Xpet risers on Ebay and always wondered why you would bid on one when there are so many other nice designs out there. Guess it was like leisure suits in the 70's YIKES!!!

I personally like the way the Spig looks. I recall a young girl shooting one last year at indoor nationals.

She special ordered it, saved up for it, and shot it.

She now shoots a Hoyt.

-Steve
    My Bows-Two '09 Hoyt Ultra Elite/'10 Athens eXceed 300
    Wife - 2006 Hoyt UltraTec
    Son - 2009 Hoyt UltraElite GTX/2013 Hoyt ProComp Elite GTX/2014 Hoyt ProComp Elite GTX
    USA Archery Judge/ Level 3 Coach

i laughed out loud at the "Variable" riser. very creative. and the magnetic levitation rest sounds interesting....
    Alan

I had a Spigarelli Dal Monte riser in the late 90's that had a similiar geometry to the Xpert riser. It looked like a stealth fighter.

http://www.arcoefreccia.it/Archivio/...20-%201993.pdf

The had a built in magnetic rest and the front riser mount had angled down for clearance. It was actually a very good riser but I got a lot of strange looks.

The is the only pic I could find of someone shooting it...
    http://gallery.fitarcoitalia.org/gal...a/LO0L4405.JPG

Have to agree with you Limb Walker but the variable is up there. To me the revoution looks too much like a DIY riser

The variable was quite interesting...
    Some of those are quite interesting to look at.

I don't think the Spig Revolution looks that bad...

The Expert riser from W&W has been the stiffest and stable riser ever made without increasing the weight. The concept of increasing stiffness and torsional stability by adding a front carbon bridge to a light alumnum forged riser was perfect, just the fancy color combinations and design graphics added to it made it not wel accepted to teh western market. colors combinations had to be changed and design had to stay in the market longer to be better accepted. Unfortunately, W& w discontinued it after just one year, cutting the front bridge and making the more commercially succesfull (but quite weak) Expert NX from it. My son has shot some of his best scores with the Expert riser, includind the double 1343 that is still Italian record for the Double FITA round.
    may be soon or later some others will come out with a similar design in new technology and again people will talk about "innovation".

Spigarelli revolution riser was a succesfull tentive to make a cheap ILF riser skipping the milling process from a solid block. Stilll in production, but now days forged risers from China are unbeatable price wise

Sirius Green Horn riser is the most succesfull existing design in bare Bow risers, still on top of the category today.

Ellipse limbs have been defined the fastest in the world at that time, but their stellar price have limited a lot their sales and diffusion.

Copper John ANT sight has been IMHO the best sight ever made. Like many best items, it has been discontinued because too expensive to make.

The Infinite riser from W&W was the first mixed aluminum-carbon riser. Intersting development based on the wrong assumption that closer the button to the pivot point, better the riser will shoot. It was immediately evident that the concept was wrong.

Can't comment about the Variable, as I have never seen one but on the internet.
    ______________________________ _______________
    Do or don't do. Not to try. Yoda

Xpert is pretty nifty riser, I had one for couple of years. If I had to compare the feel, Axis is one that comes closest to it in all risers I've had.

I own one of those bladetech bows... picked it up as a curiosity...
    2011 PSE Moneymaker(s) and 2012 Supra, Fivecs stabs
    Gail Martin Signature (Hunter) 45#
    Powered by

The Air-Rest from DoubleTake Archery

Interesting concept, but I suspect not a lot of takers.
    Compound: Mathews Drenalin LD - BLACK on BLACK
    Recurve: Hoyt Helix and Nexus; G3 Limbs
    USA Archery Level 2 Instructor in Northwest Chicago burbs
    Windy City Bow Strings - custom built to your spec - PM me for details!

I too find the revolution appealing, its got that black sheep factor to it. Those eclipse limbs are pretty wild, they look like the wave that black swan is making with the double curve. http://www.blackswanarchery.com/home.html
    Destroyer 350

Hoyt Excel 21"
    Samick Universal Shorts

I had a set of limbs that looked like the "Ceramic Carbon Ellipse Bow Limbs from Greenhorn", I found them at the bottom of my trunk after a long hot summer under about 600 lbs of damp scuba gear. Funny, I don't remember them looking like that when I bought 'em.

I agree with Beastmaster, I like the way the Spig looks. Old World genes I suppose.

TAO
    USA Archery Level 3-NTS Coach

The spig painted right has the potential to look like a modern/futuristic design.

My Dad tried to buy a variable riser many years ago. The email conversation basically went

My Dad: "I would like to buy one of your Variable risers"
    Variable Guy: "There is someone shooting one in Australia, perhaps he can let you have a shot"
    MD: "No, I would like to buy one, he lives 1000kms away"
    VG: "I have looked on the internet, you shoot compound"
    MD: "Yes, I also shoot recurve and want to buy your bow"
    VG: "No"

***????

Back on topic
    I did not mind the Xpert riser, but the Infinite was TERRIBLE. I know quite a few who had them and hated them.
    Beiter Nocks
    Urban Archery

"The Variable Guy" chooses extremely carefully to whom he solds his kit There's one I know of in Finland (and even he is a former olympian), even though the designer's from Sweden. It's not really a commercial riser, just a technical showcase.

Quote Originally Posted by limbwalker View Post
    http://www.centenaryarchers.gil.com....chery_gear.htm

Came across this website of "state of the art" gear from about 7-8 years ago. Man, what were they thinking?!? Had to be the ugliest period in target archery design since the 60's! ha, ha.

I vote for the W&W Xpert as the winner of the ugliest riser ever. But the Spig. Revolution is certainly a close second, don't you think?

Life is too short to shoot an ugly bow...

John
    Jim Ploen still shoots the Variable. And he looks good when shooting! That bow looks pretty in his hands. Sorry to say John, but PSE might have a horse in the ugly bow contest. But again, any bow looks pretty when you shoot it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank D Thoreau View Post
    I have too many riser already, BUT, if I was going to get one for cool value, I would not mind having a red, white and green, Spigarelli Revolution. It is beautiful in its ugliness.
    I need to dig up the photos of the red/white/blue Spig that this young girl shot in 2011. The bow was quite pretty.
    My Bows-Two '09 Hoyt Ultra Elite/'10 Athens eXceed 300
    Wife - 2006 Hoyt UltraTec
    Son - 2009 Hoyt UltraElite GTX/2013 Hoyt ProComp Elite GTX/2014 Hoyt ProComp Elite GTX
    USA Archery Judge/ Level 3 Coach

Friend of mine here in MA has a Surius riser. He's modified it by moving the plunger rearward to align with the yoke of the grip. Actually shooting it barebow. Seems very well balanced for that style.

Regards,

Tom

Greenhorn Sirius is on my list of bows to own someday.
    " You know, I think this recurve thing just might catch on"

Quote Originally Posted by midwayarcherywi View Post
    Sorry to say John, but PSE might have a horse in the ugly bow contest.
    If you're referring to the x-Appeal, I'd have to agree.

I was intrigued with the curves of those Greenhorn Ceramic Carbon Ellipse limbs. Couldn't seen to get a response from Greenhorn at the time, so they may have very well saved me some bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by zal View Post
    There's one I know of in Finland (and even he is a former olympian),
    That's what got us, my Dad's an ex-Olympian. :/ Probably the best enquiry they would have had out of AUS and he knocked it back.
    Beiter Nocks
    Urban Archery

Marcus, your dad is a FORMER Olympian. You're never an "ex" - Olympian. It's like a Marine. No such thing as an Ex-Marine

Hunter, I've already weighed in on my opinion of the X-appeal's "curves" but at least now I can say that it is indeed a very good shooting riser!

John
    Renegade Archer

haha good point
    Beiter Nocks
    Urban Archery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast