Thread: Muzzy mx series

Muzzy mx series

Which is better, the original muzzys, the muzzy mx3, or the muzzy mx4? I've never used muzzy's and my bow shoots 300fps not sure how fast with arrow and broadhead added and I use aluminum arrows the Easton camo hunters 2216's pulling 70lbs so will these heads also work with bows that aren't blazing fast? Are they durable and accurate?

I shoot Muzzy's myself and I have for several years. For your faster bows, You definitely would like to shoot the MX series. I have shot most of them and they all shoot great. My preference is the MX-3. Not particular reason, just like it. They are accurate, I shoot great groups at long yardages with them. They're like anything else though, they would shoot out of a poorly tuned bow. They are durable and crush bone. With todays prices, it is good to be able to change the blades instead of buying a new broadhead after you shoot an animal. My setup has been and MR-7 29.5 inch draw 70lbs and have great luck with them. Hope that helps out some.
    A bad day of hunting is always better than a good day at work!!!

Tater

My preference is the MX-4. No particular reason, just like it. I have shot Muzzy since Muzzy came on the market and the MX-4 is my favorite.
    I shoot bows. All kinds of bows.

My opinions are MY OPINIONS. Take them for what they are worth.

How well do the penetrate and pass threw on bad shots?

I prefer the MX-3's. The MX's have a shorter ferrule than regular Muzzy's making them easier to tune. The Mx-3's have 1.25" cut which is plenty for me. The bigger the cut the less the potential penetration. The MX-3 is enough for me. As for bad shots. It really depends on the hit. If you hit back towards the guts you'll want the biggest head made for a massive wound. If you hit towards the front shoulder you want a smaller size head to get as deep as you can and/or to put a hole on the far side. Angling toward you shots that aren't preferred is best done with fixed smaller heads and not monster mechanical heads. Angling hard away I'd still want the head to come out the far side.

If you have enough giddy-up either the MX-3 or the MX-4 will get the jjob done.
    "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table."
    Supra ME,[/COLOR] DNA SP
    Stan ShootOff and JustX releases for hunting, foam and paper!

How much off will they be from field tips? I been using G5 montecs and they're really accurate

I would also recommend the MX-3. I haven't had the best luck getting the MX-4's to fly as well as the MX-3, although their terminal performance would certainly be great. If your bow shoots the Montecs like field tips, I would expect the MX-3 to be right there as well.

arrow2.jpg

arrow.jpg

heres some groups i got with my field tips 100gr but i use the bohning shrink fletch on my aluminum arrows now as seen in one of the pics.

I've nothing but phenominal results with MX3's! I've shot them up to 320 fps and with great accuracy at that speed! The will punish any bone in their way!

You should be fine with your setup to use any of the Muzzy heads.

I dont like muzzy just because the durability is lacking. The aluminum ferrule tends to get bent or even break going through animals. Muzzy followed slick trick's design when they built the MX4. Slick tricks have an all steel ferrule. Much sharper then Muzzys too.
    2013 Hoyt Spyder 34 and Slick Tricks

I couldn't get the MX 3 to fly well at all. I had heard good things about them. I bought 2 packs. I tried all three in one of the packs. None flew well. I took both packages back and traded them in. I did shoot some MX 4's and they seemed pretty good.

Bowtech Tribute 62.8# DW, 29" DL

i've got MX3 and the MX4 the MX3 fly really good but i had problems out of the MX4 so i went to slicktrick magnums with the same cutting dia. the MX4 likes to plane but it could have had some tuning with my bow but the the other broad heads didn't plane
    Mathews monster MR6 60/28.5
    HHA 5519
    11.5" Doinker field
    Carbon Express Maxima Red 250
    Slick Trick Grizztrick 2

I haven't had a chance to test the flight of the mx's but the original 3 blades fly good out of my rig going 304fps.

Quote Originally Posted by whack n' stack View Post
    I've nothing but phenominal results with MX3's! I've shot them up to 320 fps and with great accuracy at that speed! The will punish any bone in their way!
    I'm now shooting regular Muzzy's and MX3's at 330 fps. Same exact poi as my field tips!!

Quote Originally Posted by xcr 1.5 View Post
    I dont like muzzy just because the durability is lacking. The aluminum ferrule tends to get bent or even break going through animals. Muzzy followed slick trick's design when they built the MX4. Slick tricks have an all steel ferrule. Much sharper then Muzzys too.
    THIS IS BULL! Yes a steel ferrule is stronger than aluminum BUT Muzzy's do NOT tend to bend or break going through animals,simply not true. However,hitting hard objects like rocks at 300fps WILL do damage. A Muzzy broadhead is a proven design at an affordable price & the only ''improvement'' I've ever thought was needed was thicker blades (MX-series solved that). Fanboys bug me,oh by the way ;Slick Tricks are among the best broadheads available & a well tuned bow/arrow setup will shoot either very well.

Quote Originally Posted by CHERRY99 View Post
    THIS IS BULL! Yes a steel ferrule is stronger than aluminum BUT Muzzy's do NOT tend to bend or break going through animals,simply not true. However,hitting hard objects like rocks at 300fps WILL do damage. A Muzzy broadhead is a proven design at an affordable price & the only ''improvement'' I've ever thought was needed was thicker blades (MX-series solved that). Fanboys bug me,oh by the way ;Slick Tricks are among the best broadheads available & a well tuned bow/arrow setup will shoot either very well.
    Exactly my thoughts! Muzzys are very durable.
    2015 PSE Decree (on order soon) HHA Optimizer, Gold Tip Hunters, Grim Reaper Fatal Steel, Axion Stab, Axion Pulse rest , Ridgerunner Sling

Broadheads don't get any better than Muzzy!!
    Shooting tomorrow's trophies today