Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to hear and see more from SA!

Need to hear and see more from SA!

Would love to hear some tall tales and good stories from the Republic of SA, pics too!
    I luv hunting like fat kids luv cake!

06 Parker Buck Hunter --> 08 Bear DoneDeal --> 2010 Elite GT-500

I think the lack of post here is due to a vast conspiracy! If more people understood how great the hunting is there the prices would go up and the locals would suffer greatly.

I check this forum a couple of times each day even though I know there will not be any new post.

Seriously, I'm surprised that more of the outfitters don't post up to generate more interest. Are you listening, Hanes? Where are you, Flippy? Guess they're all too busy!

Guinness, have you been? If so, where?

I have not been, but like most its always been a dream. I like when other AT'ers post their stories and pics from recent trips, gets my blood going. I've hunted (and fished) over most of N. America and love doing it, but a trip to south africa IS my bucket list. Got any pics or good stories BBJ?

bbjavelina, we would love to hear about your hunt.

Guinness and Shadetree,

Me and the BIL made a trip in '09 and '11. Unlike anything you can imagine! Naturally, I've got hundreds of pics and a ton of advice from someone who's not qualified to speak on the subject. I made a short writeup after each trip, but it's too long to post here. Gladly share with anyone who post or PM's me an email adress. After the first trip I was an expert --- after the second trip I felt like a Hemingway or a Rourk! Now I feel like a washed up has-been --- it really sucks knowing you'll probably never go back.

The most fun the wife and I have now is trying to figure out where we will hang the heads that should be ready in less than 12 months. Did you know a Kudu shoulder mount is about 5' tall and sticks out from the wall about 3"? Add a Waterbuck and a Gemsbok and a few smaller heads and life gets a little complcated. The amazing thing is that it can all be done for about the price of a quality Moose, Elk, or bear hunt and you get 1/2 dozen heads instead of one!

Don't wait until your too old and you can only think about the things you wish you had done!!! Get your butt in gear and do it.
    Last edited by bbjavelina; April 2nd, 2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: spelling

PICS PICS PICS! Stories are good too.

Shadetree,

I'm curious about your Gemsbok. My borhter-in-law and I both had trouble with them this year. On mine, I got a shot into it somewhat back in the rib cage and he went over 800 yards before I could get the second shot into him. Both arrows broke and no exit wound. BIL only got a single shot, but again no exit wound. His travelled well over a mile and was finished with a rifle as he was still on his feet. We were both shooting +/- 60 lbs. and using 415/425 grain arrows with fixed blade broadheads. I'm assuming they've got some pretty tough ribs, but I don't know.

How did you fare?

Great trophies!

You right it is too quiet. So here goes...

Warthog video

Will post some hunting pics and some photographs later

Quote Originally Posted by bbjavelina View Post
    Shadetree,

I'm curious about your Gemsbok. My borhter-in-law and I both had trouble with them this year. On mine, I got a shot into it somewhat back in the rib cage and he went over 800 yards before I could get the second shot into him. Both arrows broke and no exit wound. BIL only got a single shot, but again no exit wound. His travelled well over a mile and was finished with a rifle as he was still on his feet. We were both shooting +/- 60 lbs. and using 415/425 grain arrows with fixed blade broadheads. I'm assuming they've got some pretty tough ribs, but I don't know.

How did you fare?
    Well, to be totally honest, I shot mine about 4 inches too far back. I wish I could show you the video but i am a bit challenged when it comes to technology. I was shooting 62#'s and a 464 grain arrow and a Ramcat 100 gr. I was fortunate to get a pass-thru and the Gemsbok ran about 30 yards acting like he didn't know what happened and stood there a little while, walked about 40 yards and went down just out of sight behind some brush. I will post a picture of my Eland.

Quote Originally Posted by GuinnessGood View Post
    Great trophies!
    Thanks, GuinnessGood,
    I had the time of my life.

Africa A 063 (Small).jpg
    I asked my PH if anyone ever can get a pass-thru on a big Eland and he told me no, not at my draw weight. I also have this one on video. He was slightly quartering away and I managed to get it in the crease behind the right shoulder and the arrow exited center of the left shoulder. I was watching the video a week or so ago and timed it from the shot until he went down. It was 30 seconds. Same arrow weight, broadhead, and draw weight as the Gemsbok. My PH was amazed that it went all the way thru. So was I.

Africa A 008 (Small).jpg
    I was lucky enough to get pass-thru's on everything I shot and didn't have to track any of them except the zebra, but we rushed out of the blind and pushed him a little. This was the first time I have ever been out of the US, first ever guided hunt, first animal in Africa. Man, what a rush. I don't claim to be a good shot by no means. I think there is something about knowing that if you cripple and don't find it, it all costs the same. It made me really focus on the shot more than I realized at the time.
    This hunt was number 1 on my bucket list. Now it is number 2. I want to go back in 2013 if I can figure out how to pay for it.

BBJavelina, your information you PM'ed me before I went on the hunt was very helpful. Thank you.

Those are some beautiful animals shadetree! Love the eland, and a beautiful wildebeest as well, looks like a nice old bull.
    Congrats

Some photos as promised:

Nice blesbuck taken out of a tree stand
    DSC03606.jpg

Bushbuck ram
    DSC049632-1.jpg

Impala rams
    DSC04968-1-1.jpg
    DSC05018-1-1.jpg

Warthog boar
    DSC04938-1-1.jpg

Some photos
    IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg

Man, those kudu's have a special place in my heart. Thats the one animal (if i could only have one) I'd have above the fireplace. Also, DAMN! that eland looks big, congrats on the wall-hangers! You'all are some lucky guys.

There should be a sticky thread at the top of this forum for research/help/suggestions/etc for SA trips.

Shadetree,

To get a passthru on an Eland has to be special, especially at the draw weights you and I shoot. Those things must be 3' rib to rib! It's the only animal my PH said I could shoot in a herd. He wasn't worried at all about a passthru. Good work.

I found a place to put a tree stand while I was there. This is such a neat picture I thought I would post it.
    This thing had to be 25 feet in diameter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thats an awesome pic shadetree!
    Many of us dream of being able to see those trees out in the bush. Lucky you totally awesome sight

Quote Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
    I found a place to put a tree stand while I was there. This is such a neat picture I thought I would post it.
    This thing had to be 25 feet in diameter.
    That looks like something from the Lord of the Rings movies...awesome pic.

Any more stories, pics, reviews, "suggestions"? anyone?

What do you guys think of the colour variations?
    They are all natural colour variations that are now just being conserved by game ranchers by isolating these animals, it is a recessive gene. They are busy doing study on it whether it is simple recessive or multi gene.

If money was no problem would you be interested in shooting golden wildebeest, black impala, white, black and copper springbuck etc etc etc...
    Any thoughts guys?

That wildebeest is really a neat color! A black impala would be very nice to have.

Is it true that Botswana is going to stop all hunting?

I got an email saying that was going to happen, but I don't believe everything I read. Anyone else heard that?

The email did surface. But as far as I know it was put to rest quite quickly.

Its easy to see how hunting plays an important role in the development of communities as well as the conservation of game. Just look at Kenya vs Tanzania, they are neighbours, one's game numbers are healthy, the other not. One hunts, the other doesnt.
    And Botswana I believe realised this quite quickly.

Heres to happy hunting in Africa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast