a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need to hear and see more from SA!

shadetree-I noticed form your pictures you were hunting with African Arrow Safaris. I have hunted with Harry he is a great PH.
    Mathews Solocam Z7 Xtreme, Monster 7.0, Conquest Triumph, MR6, Creed, 2 MR5'S, Drenalin, Gold Tip, B-Stinger, Axion, Truball
    Hough's Archery-Pro Staff
    Bohning Staff Shooter
    Truball Staff Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by HoughsArchery View Post
    shadetree-I noticed form your pictures you were hunting with African Arrow Safaris. I have hunted with Harry he is a great PH.
    Yes sir, and he and his family are just good folks. Never been treated any better in my life.
    I want to go back and hunt a nyala and a bushbuck-just got to save up and go.

Quote Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
    Yes sir, and he and his family are just good folks. Never been treated any better in my life.
    I want to go back and hunt a nyala and a bushbuck-just got to save up and go.
    Ya they are good people. Africa is just an amazing place.

Mathews Solocam Z7 Xtreme, Monster 7.0, Conquest Triumph, MR6, Creed, 2 MR5'S, Drenalin, Gold Tip, B-Stinger, Axion, Truball
    Hough's Archery-Pro Staff
    Bohning Staff Shooter
    Truball Staff Shooter

Some nice one's there chaps. living here may be a different story than when people visit (same everywhere I suppose) but I have to say that the bushveld is glorious. no matter how many times a year I go, I never get tired of it. Doing my first bow hunt in August (newbie to the bow world) so will post that little lot in here. Any questions on SA in general though I'll be happy to answer

Yes this is a bautiful Place and there some mayne defrent animal in one area u can belive it love South Africa

Ok ......I know it is not SA but I was in Namibia in Sept 2011 ........I got with my bow an African Wildcat , 2 X Gemsbok , Blackwidebeest , Warthog and Kudu ! FUN WOW ! As has been mentioned in previous post the only animal giving me difficulty was my 1st Gemsbok . I had a pass through high on the shoulder and nicked the top of both lungs the animal went 3 days and 10 miles before she was finished with a rifle . My PH was surprised when she and another cow walked into an other water hole we were set up on . After watching her at 60 yards through the binos he threw up the rifle and shot , when I asked why he said "THAT'S YOUR GEMSBOK , I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE YOUR ARROW WENT THREW ! " I have yet to get it right as to how to post pictures (If I could get someones E-mail I would love to see them get posted here ! )
    Glen

Quote Originally Posted by G Skinner View Post
    Ok ......I know it is not SA but I was in Namibia in Sept 2011 ........I got with my bow an African Wildcat , 2 X Gemsbok , Blackwidebeest , Warthog and Kudu ! FUN WOW ! As has been mentioned in previous post the only animal giving me difficulty was my 1st Gemsbok . I had a pass through high on the shoulder and nicked the top of both lungs the animal went 3 days and 10 miles before she was finished with a rifle . My PH was surprised when she and another cow walked into an other water hole we were set up on . After watching her at 60 yards through the binos he threw up the rifle and shot , when I asked why he said "THAT'S YOUR GEMSBOK , I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE YOUR ARROW WENT THREW ! " I have yet to get it right as to how to post pictures (If I could get someones E-mail I would love to see them get posted here ! )
    Glen

I'd love to help you get the pictures posted, but I don't even know how to post my own. Read how to do it one time --- just seems too much for one as challenged as I.

Hopefully somone will help you get them up so we can all enjoy them.

Do forum rules allow us to provide a link to another hunting forum website? I have posted long stories with photos and video of my two South African trips on another forum, a local state forum, and it would be a lot easier to just link it for those that would like to read them than to post it all here again. I'm also planning to go on my third trip later this summer (U.S. summer/RSA winter).

Quote Originally Posted by StickFlicker AZ View Post
    Do forum rules allow us to provide a link to another hunting forum website? I have posted long stories with photos and video of my two South African trips on another forum, a local state forum, and it would be a lot easier to just link it for those that would like to read them than to post it all here again. I'm also planning to go on my third trip later this summer (U.S. summer/RSA winter).
    I'm no expert, but I've seen it done before. I'd love to see the photos.

Where, and with who did you go before? Where, and with who this year? What did you get before and what are you after this time?

I have hunted on three "concessions" in two different provinces (Limpopo and Mpumalanga). I haven't hunted with any of the large well known companies, but with small outfits that don't really do it for a "living". These are guys that own/run large companies in Jburg during the week, but have been buying up properties for their own investment and enjoyment, I suppose. Sometimes it's on land that a friend owns, but there really isn't a hunting concession. They are PHs, but they do not hunt their properties for a living. Therefore, they normally only have a few small groups each year to keep the surplus animals down without having to have a capture. While they do each have a safari company, for business purposes, I'd rather not say the names as we've got kind of a sweet deal going! If they start getting too much demand for the few slots they open, I'm afraid the cost will increase or we won't be able to go when we'd like.... We don't tend to have to pay nearly what the big concessions would charge, and it has been getting less expensive for us as we have become "regular customers". This will be my third trip over in the past 5 years (2008 and 2010). They do run cattle on the farms, which provides income, but they do have a fairly good sized properties with plenty of game, and some very nice ones. I need to run. I'll write more later.

Quote Originally Posted by StickFlicker AZ View Post
    I have hunted on three "concessions" in two different provinces (Limpopo and Mpumalanga). I haven't hunted with any of the large well known companies, but with small outfits that don't really do it for a "living". These are guys that own/run large companies in Jburg during the week, but have been buying up properties for their own investment and enjoyment, I suppose. Sometimes it's on land that a friend owns, but there really isn't a hunting concession. They are PHs, but they do not hunt their properties for a living. Therefore, they normally only have a few small groups each year to keep the surplus animals down without having to have a capture. While they do each have a safari company, for business purposes, I'd rather not say the names as we've got kind of a sweet deal going! If they start getting too much demand for the few slots they open, I'm afraid the cost will increase or we won't be able to go when we'd like.... We don't tend to have to pay nearly what the big concessions would charge, and it has been getting less expensive for us as we have become "regular customers". This will be my third trip over in the past 5 years (2008 and 2010). They do run cattle on the farms, which provides income, but they do have a fairly good sized properties with plenty of game, and some very nice ones. I need to run. I'll write more later.
    Sounds like too sweet of a deal to mess up. We've made two trips ('09 & '11) one with a smaller outfitter and one with a larger --- both in the Limpopo. I'm recently retired, so my options are limited, but I can see one more trip in my future.

Thankss for the reply.

http://www.thearizonahunter.com/foru...pic.php?t=2425

Hopefully it's alright with AT to post this link. It's to the thread I made on a small (not for profit) Arizona forum, so it doesn't really compete with them at all. This is my 2008 hunt. I originally posted it in spring of 2009, when I thought I was returning that summer, but I was unable to find a hunting partner that year (and airfare was sooo cheap!).... I did finally return in 2010. I'll post a link to that thread after you guys have time to read this one, and if I don't get in trouble from the AT gods! If you have any questions or comments, feel free to just post on this thread rather than have to become members of the other forum. Let me know what you think!

I'm really glad you posted that link 'cause I surely enjoyed the reading. A good story well told. Very well told!

Several times during the reading I got little chill bumps, it remminded me so very much of my experiences on our first ('09) trip. On that trip (7 days) we hunted with what, by their standards, was a rather small family run operation. Nicest people I've ever met and took care of our every need. An overly wet spring and a couple of frontal passages took its toll and I wound up getting only a very old and worn out Warthog and a very nice Impala. I figured that would be my one and only trip and I nearly cried when it was time to go. Not because I hadn't shot a mound of animals, but because I had enjoyed it so much.

As you alluded to, due to the economy, we were able to book an '11 trip with '09 pricing. This time we booked with a significantly larger outfitter that controlled, or had access to, a lot more land, and only about 30 straightline miles from the '09 property. Booked 15 days this time. I could never have imagined seeing so much game. Shootable game at that. I had on my list Kudu, Gemsbok, Waterbuck, and perhaps a larger Warthog than '09.

By sundown of the second day I had the first three on the ground and was at somewhat of a loss as to what to do for the next nearly two weeks. What a problem to have, huh?

The time was easily filled looking for the perfect Warthog (in short supply at that time and location), nearly wearing out my camera, and picking up a nice Blesbok along the way. Then, on the next to last day, a decent Warthog made a fatal mistake.

Those two trips were so very much different and both so very much fun. First trip we hunted hard and didn't kill much -- second trip I loafed around a lot and got 5 animals I wanted. That second trip was, at times, like hunting a feedlot, but usually not the species you wanted. I had early on scratched a bunch of critters off my list simpy because they just didn't really appeal to me.

Like you, the first time I heard an Impala roar I couldn't believe it. I truly though my PH was pulling my leg.

Thanks again for a very good story well told.

Thanks for the kind words on my first story. I too am still in search of the "perfect warthog"! I've had my chances at a few very nice ones, and one giant, but keep managing to screw it up.... Towards the end of my 2010 hunt story (link below) I have posted a couple of links to short videos I have made. I believe one of them has a shot at the giant warthog, which I'm not proud to say I hit in the teeth. Kind of like paying too much attention to antlers or horns when you shoot, I guess. The shot was fairly long, considering warthogs act like they've been busy chugging Red Bull while smoking crack, and it was getting dark, but still it was a poor shot. They are awfully quick when they hear the bow shoot.

This was my second trip following my 2008 trip I outlined previously. The videos inserted in this story are short "movie trailer" type films I made for fun. I aslo make full hour long or longer videos of all of my hunts, but there is no way to post a movie that large to any hosting website. Anyway, here's the link to my 2010 hunt (something for you to do over the weekend!):

http://www.thearizonahunter.com/foru...hp?f=74&t=6319

Aother great read. Thanks for taking the time.

Looking forward to reading about this years trip.

I'll post up a few pic's of my trip last summer. When I go back I want to stay for 2 weeks because even the 10 days there were not enough! I can't wait to return.

ATTACH=CONFIG]1389033[/ATTACH]Attachment 1389034Attachment 1389035Attachment 1389036

STICK and 8 Great threads keep em coming !
    Glen

Shot my first gemsbok 3 weeks ago with my bow. Shot him through the hart and it still went for about 300 yards. Gemsbok is one of the toughest animals to hunt even with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Joachim View Post
    Shot my first gemsbok 3 weeks ago with my bow. Shot him through the hart and it still went for about 300 yards. Gemsbok is one of the toughest animals to hunt even with a gun.
    Dam right ! I wanna see a picture !
    Glen

Gemsbok

My first Gemsbok with a bow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

yes Africa's the best hunting destination. I'm forunate to live here and hunt when I have time or the urge to draw blood. I have a Archery Store In Johannesburg so its the best of both worlds for me.
    resized-IMG_1152.jpg

Have shot almost all the plainsgame. Got my Giraffe. Now planning a Buffalo.
    Its all about shotplacement......

Ben Pearson Advantage (Target)
    I don't know yet (Hunting)
    Whalens Hooker Release , AXCEL Sight, Trophy Taker S/S.

Great pics and stories guys.My next trip back will be with my bow.

blackimpala.jpg

Sign me up for a black impala!! Soon I will be headed back for my third bowhunting trip to RSA!

Namibia Hunt

Namibia Hunt by G Skinner
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Hans for posting my pictures up ! Hard to believe that it was a year ago (Sept 2011) that I was in Namibia . I hunted with Onduri Safaris out of Outjo . I took with my bow an African Wildcat , 2 X Gemsbok (Oryx) , Blackwildebeest(Gnu) , Warthog and Kudu . Helmuth my PH was most excited about the cat ,as it was the first that he had ever heard of being taken by bow . Namibia has only been open to hunters for 9 or 10 years . I believe this was Onduri's 6 year in operation. The 2 Gemsbok are cows , but are both considered decent animals , the Blackwidebeest was considered to be an old bull whom I was assured would make Rolland and Martin minimuns if I cared to register it . The warthog was average and the Kudu was the biggest we seen even though we had seen 90 animals just in 1 days sit .We seen plenty of Blesbok , Impala , Hartabeest ,but nothing that would offer decent shooting for my limited ability .I also was allowed to Guinee fowl and Franklin when they were present . I also did a stalk and hit a White rabbit which we did not recover . Thank you once again to Hans for getting these pictures up for me .
    Glen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12