Thread: Towing Option necessary?

Towing Option necessary?

Me and the lady just recently picked up a used RV (travel trailer) that's in incredible shape. It's a 1987 Shasta Revere 22' long. I won't bore you with the details. My question is: how important is it to use the trailer option on my truck (the button on the end of the shift handle)?

I have a full size 2004 Silverado, the camper is only 3500 lbs, so very well below max towing capacity. The trailer option on the shifter holds gears longer and shifts smoother to put less strain on the transmission - or something like that, I'm not a mechanic by any means but I read manuals from cover to cover.

Is this really necessary? I would have no problem doing it, but it sucks gas a heck of a lot faster than not using it and now is not the time to find reasons to use MORE gas.

Your advice is appreciated, brothers!

JG

Yes it is to your & your truck's benefit to use trailer option.I have talked to severial different people that have had to replace there transmission due to not useing.
    Also it will give drag when you let off of the gas pedal,reducing need for some breaking thus keeping brake pads cooler.
    Have fun with your new toy,it's great to go camping.
    I pull a 40 ft. toy hauler with F250,never had a problem
    Your friend Ray

Thanks, Ray! I figured it was best to use it vs. not using it. I didn't think about the drag too, that of course helps. F250 is the big daddy! Well, F350 is the monster of the line, I guess, but the 250s are considered what, 3/4 ton? I have a 1500 which is considered 1/2 ton I believe. Big enough for everything I need. It's a crew cab as well, which is nice.

Thanks for the advice, brother!

You are welcome,hope you & yours have a wonderful time camping.We don't use our travel trailer hardly any as we do all our traveling on our goldwing motortrike and haul our tent in an escalade trailer.We are making a trip from Tx. to the east coast in May to see Georgia,north & south Carolina, Your friend Ray & Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by JGMichHntr View Post
    Me and the lady just recently picked up a used RV (travel trailer) that's in incredible shape. It's a 1987 Shasta Revere 22' long. I won't bore you with the details. My question is: how important is it to use the trailer option on my truck (the button on the end of the shift handle)?

I have a full size 2004 Silverado, the camper is only 3500 lbs, so very well below max towing capacity. The trailer option on the shifter holds gears longer and shifts smoother to put less strain on the transmission - or something like that, I'm not a mechanic by any means but I read manuals from cover to cover.

Is this really necessary? I would have no problem doing it, but it sucks gas a heck of a lot faster than not using it and now is not the time to find reasons to use MORE gas.

Your advice is appreciated, brothers!

JG
    I take it your refereing to the over drive button.Never pull any thing in over drive...dis-engauge (push button in) when pulling a load if you want your tranny to last.gl

With a 3500# trailer you'll probably wanna use the tow feature. It's not actually towing in overdrive that's hard on the transmission, it's the constant shifting up/down with a load on that's bad.
    Invasion CPX LH 29.5"/62#

My backup bow is chambered in .308 WIN

I agree with posters above. Use the tow/haul feature. When using that feature, my F250 diesel, and most trucks, will still shift into overdrive, but at much higher shift points. All the shift points (engine rpm) are changed actually, when going up or down the range. This helps save the tranny from overheating and slipping and destroying itself. Yep, it uses a bit more fuel!
    ....................Sent via Overland Pony Express.............

"We've upped our standards. Up yours"

I think you'll also find out that when pulling your trailer the tow/haul mode wont really cost much mileage either. Have fun with the new camper.

00 StarMaster, 06 Justice, 08 Black Ice , 09 Z28.