Thread: Setting up stabs

Setting up stabs

Hello all,

I'm coming from a Trad background and getting a BB compound set-up right now.
    My question is related to stabs:
    How do you work out how much weight and where? Do you guys shoot a single side-rod or some sort of V-bar arrangement?
    From what I've heard you want more weight on the back, but this makes my bow really tip-up after the shot. Is that because the usual weight ratios are for more parallel limbs with a sight? This is all going on my Protec LX.

Thanks,
    Grant

Grant,

You're probably going to get a different opinion from everyone who answers this thread. It's really personal. I personally like a bow to sit still after the shot. If it tips a little to the target after the shot OK but I hate it to fall back on me. The engineering behind stabs in general is the farther away from the bow you place the weight the more it will resist the movement of the bow. That's why dot shooters shoot long stabs. V bars are just another way of getting more weight farther away from the bow. Just play around until you find what you like.

This seems to be what I've been finding with a search. Right now I've let it rotate like a recurve and that makes it hold way too low, probably because the holding weight is too low.
    There seems to be a relation between holding weight and balance. For now I'm going to try moving some weights further to the rear so the bow balances level after the shot. Right now its bouncing which I've heard is due to too much front weight.

-Grant