Archery Talk Forum banner

Sight falling out at bottom ?

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  FS560 
#1 ·
What causes your sight to get lower and lower in your sight window as your shot starts to deteriorate ? I believe it's call "dropping out". Could it be to much weight on my front stab or not enough weigh on my rear stab ? or maybe my peep is to high and needs to be lowered just a bit.

I shoot a "V" bar set up with a 25" front bar with (only) 1oz, my left side is 10" w/9oz and my right side is 10" w/9oz. The bow feels good to me but once I committee to the shot I notice my sight housing keeps getting lower and lower as I am aiming, this is causing me to break my concentration.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Many things..
1. too much tip weight.
2. DL a little too long
3. inconsistent hand position; raising wrist as shot deteriorates.
4. peep too low and you are dipping your chin.
5. raising the bow shoulder as you try to push off the shot.
6. d-loop too short.

Check those out..>ONE AT A TIME!

field14 (Tom D.)

#4 ·
Many things..
1. too much tip weight. I only have 1 oz but I did notice is was a little better with no weight
2. DL a little too long Possible - however I already put 4 twist in my string and built up my grip and went to 65% let off, I can't get it any shorter - the Pulse starts at 27 1/2"
3. inconsistent hand position; raising wrist as shot deteriorates. Not likely my grip is very solid
4. peep too low and you are dipping your chin. I did lower my peep a bit and I do lower my head so that my nose touches the string
5. raising the bow shoulder as you try to push o ff the shot. Possible, I will need to look at my videos
6. d-loop too short. I would say it's about normal - about 1/2"

Check those out..>ONE AT A TIME!

field14 (Tom D.)
Thanks for the great advice - I will start with the peep

#3 ·
I have been having the same issue for a week now. I have found that I am not keeping the same contact pressure between my nose and string. As the shot progresses, I begin to push into the string with my nose with just slightly more pressure, (probably dipping my chin as noted above). This has corresponded with a change in draw length. I was shooting a 27" draw and switched it to 26.5" jsut last weekend. The problem began immediately with the change. I ma having to really concentrate on keeping my contact between nose and string very light and consistent.

#5 ·
Lengthen the d-loop with that shorter DL...I know, people THINK that changing the loop length changes the DL...but it has NOTHING to do with the BOW's DL...but a lot to do with your anchor positioning of the release hand.

Sometimes, we tend to have too short of a d-loop and too tight of an anchor which puts too much face contact as you try to pull harder. You get the string too far on the SIDE of your face and then you not only increase face contact, but with the shorter d-loop you create neck pressure, and your chin drops because you are actually anchored too tight and literally push the string around your face and away from you to boot. Sounds crazy...but this all works together.

I was struggling with the low sight thing...and it took me MONTHS to figure it out. I went to the Longer DL with the shorter d-loop and couldn't hold steady. I went to the shorter DL with the shorter d-loop, and while it was better, I struggled with choppy site movement...and STILL out the bottom with the site picture. A friend noticed that under both situations, the string was bent around my face and my chin was dropping ever so slightly.

That set me to thinking, so I went with the SHORTER DL setting on my module and a LONGER d-loop...and voila...problem went away and my site picture is more steady than it has been in a year! In addition, my chin stays up, I'm getting easier control of back tension and elbow alignment, and I'm much more comfortable.

Hope this might help you guys out!

field14 (Tom D.)

#7 ·
Bingo on that Tom..well said...I'm always teaching to fit the DL to your front half form and face references, and use the D-loop to make the link between your anchor and the string...seems that concept is being missed as most just throw on a stock d-loop and never touch it again after that...once I get my DL set I do everything else with adjusting the D-loop length...it's all about the fit...Cheers and thanks for helping this guy...beat me to it...Ryan

#11 ·
EXACTLY
I always set the front DL (bow to nose) first, then play with the rear DL (string to tip of elbow) to get my body geometry and face fit right.

A resultant slight tweak of the front DL may be necessary, and then a slight tweak of the rear, and back and forth with very slight tweaks until just right. However, this is not a quick process and may take a good long time to make sure, especially when front DL changes are less than 3 turns of the string and you have to remove and reinstall the peep or when you change the DW, which always changes the front DL slightly.

And some people think that compound bows are not complicated machines and just let a store set up their bow with a generic D-loop and the DL set on an even module setting.

And then if you change to a bow with a different string angle, you have to do it all over again, but you do have a really good starting point.

#13 ·
Good advice.

I already made a few adjustments and my problems seem to be getting a little better, time will tell. I set my release (Insideout) so I don't torque (twist) the d-loop so much and I made the d-loop 1/8" longer. But please keep the comments coming this is some interesting stuff.

#14 ·
I have an old rope spike trigger that I bent the spike so that it cannot shoot and use this for test drawing bows. I can simply hook the spike onto the D-loop and adjust the projection of the spike to get everything feeling right.

HOWEVER, there is a major problem. This does not allow me to simulate the execution of the realese, so this whole issue is moot and I have to untie and retie D-loops until the length is just right.

Even 1/32 inch of D-loop distance from the string will feel different and cause different execution of the shot. Just like getting a clicker set right with fingers.

I sure wish that click adjustable Cavalier clicker had been available long ago when I shot fingers and recurve. We did rip the blade out of HOYT clickers and screw them to the window with a single screw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.