Thread: Spin Testing Broadheads...

Spin Testing Broadheads...

How important is it to have a broadhead spin perfect on a shaft? Assuming the bow is "perfectly" tuned. I've got lots of old BH's but they wont quite spin perfectly. Any input helps. (BTW I really dont care if im a whole 2 inches off )
    2013 Hoyt Spyder 34 and Slick Tricks

Anybody?

I will not shoot a broadhead that does not spin perfectly. You might get away with it once in a while , but there is a good chance of your arrow taking off ( planing ) in the in the wrong direction. You might try mixing and matching broadheads and shafts to see if they will spin correctly. Be sure your arrows are cut square . I have had good success by holding the arrow at the end of the shaft , just below the broadhead and applying downward pressure on the head against a flat surface. If this does not help , or it gets worse, turn the arrow 1/3 or 1/2 turn and try again. It may take a fair amount of pressure to get it right. I have also used rubber O rings between the head and the arrow.By tightening the head a little at a time and spin checking every 1/4 to 1/2 turn you may be able to get it perfect. Good luck

If they're fixed heads they need to spin straight. I've shot mechanicals that had a little wobble but I've never had any consistency from fixed heads that weren't mounted straight. You might need to square your arrows or inserts with an ASD.
    What kind of broadheads are you playing with?

I make sure all of mine spin true.

Thanks for the help guys. The broadheads I'm using right now for turkeys are NAP spitfires. Also, shuttle t's for deer. What is an ASD?

very important if you'd like to shoot well
    PSE EXRCIST
    grave digger trocar tip broadhead,
    .300 grain Vap traveling at warp speed
    Proud member of team overkill

ASD = Arrow squaring device. Cabelas - Bass pro.

G5 has one

and Burt Coyote sells the F.A.S.T. you can do the nock end with fletching.
    A Redneck lost in a yuppie town

Buy the G5 ASD. It can square the carbon end and the insert. Very helpful considering the lumenok one only does the nock end. The G5 runs about 35 bucks
    Mathews Heli-M Tactical~#65+28in.=275 fps(415grn Goldtip 7595)
    Mathews Monster 7~#60+28in.=280 fps(415grn Goldtip 7595)
    QAD/ Trijicon Accupin/B-Stinger/TGB Nocks/ STAN/Goldtip/Slick Tricks
    Trijicon Staff Shooter & Bleed It Outdooors Staff - CHECK US OUT!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYcKFXu9UVs

Very important because the broadhead steers the arrow from the front. The longer the shot, the more time the broadhead has to lead the arrow astray. Since most sets of arrows hunters shoot are not well aligned and that mis-alignment is inconsistent, broadhead groups are much larger than fieldpoint groups for most of us, even when properly spined shafts.
    Blessed be the Lord, who daily loads us with benefits...the God of our salvation. Psalms 68:19 KJV Hunt 06 Darton Tempest. Beman Field 340s w' NAP QuickSpins & KillZone, Muzzy rest, TruGlo TFO Competition 06 Darton Tempest; Victory X-Ringer HV. TrophyTaker rest, Tox' sights. Backup 96 Darton Wrangler w' Revolution Archery cams Muzzy rest, TruGlo TFO All bows Anchor Sight optical "No Peep" T.R.U.Ball Sabretooth 4 finger release.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterManiac7 View Post
    Buy the G5 ASD. It can square the carbon end and the insert. Very helpful considering the lumenok one only does the nock end. The G5 runs about 35 bucks
    Amen

Blessed be the Lord, who daily loads us with benefits...the God of our salvation. Psalms 68:19 KJV Hunt 06 Darton Tempest. Beman Field 340s w' NAP QuickSpins & KillZone, Muzzy rest, TruGlo TFO Competition 06 Darton Tempest; Victory X-Ringer HV. TrophyTaker rest, Tox' sights. Backup 96 Darton Wrangler w' Revolution Archery cams Muzzy rest, TruGlo TFO All bows Anchor Sight optical "No Peep" T.R.U.Ball Sabretooth 4 finger release.