Thread: Is their any American out there who prefers the metric system.

Is their any American out there who prefers the metric system.

I have been wondering this for a while, I live in Australia and we use the metric system which I'm my opinion is a much more accurate and easier scale to use, is their anyone who uses the imperial measurement system and would like to use the metric system which measures everything in groups of 1000.

I use the metric system all the time for work. For measuring distance, or volume it is great. For weight it isn't my favorite to say the least lol.

By the time your five years old, you have an idea of yards, feet and gallons. I really don't think I would want metric and I am a guy who does the conversions in his head.

So... Not me.

Thanks!

Rob from San Diego

Hey rob, I just left San Diego... Do you shoot 3d?

I do like it better however in the conus thats what we grew up on and that is the standard. Its no more or less accurate just does not use the base of 10. . I use both

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Elite Energy 32-280 fps
    Carbon express mayhem hunter-463 gr
    10 in bee stinger prohunter maxx
    grim reapers and DRT Dirt nap

The metic system is better, but were just not used to it. They tried to convert us about 35 yrs. ago. I remember them teaching it to us in school as a replacement to the english measurement, you can see how well that worked out.
    2010 Elite Z28 70# AP Realtree Camo
    Tru Fire Edge Extreme 360 Foldback

How wide is a meter stick? (most rulers are 1")

How does one divide things into thirds, sixths and twelfths in metric w/o repeating fractions like 33.333333cm or resorting to a specialized ruler? (12 inches per foot make this easy, to go finer there are 72 points in an inch if 64ths of an inch isn't working out)

If decimals are so important, why can't you readily find a compass marked in grads? (most use 360 degrees in a circle)

Metric is so far divorced from human experience that the Japanese were obliged to create a special unit for measuring type, ``kyu'' (.25 mm)

In archery, thousandths of an inch make for nice, sensible numbers to describe arrow diameters and aluminum shaft wall thickness (please work up an elegant metric alternative)

A solid advantage metric has is enlarging / reducing B-series plans on a copier --- quite elegant w/ no wasted paper, but that doesn't make up for the solid grounding Imperial has in human experience /scale.

Better ? BS - You all can keep your metric system one set of wrenches, scales, tape measure and calipers is enought for me and they work just fine.
    Rigginuts

"Take away a mans dreams and you will take away his soul" me

Quote Originally Posted by bawls View Post
    Hey rob, I just left San Diego... Do you shoot 3d?
    Not yet. Interested in it though.

Thanks!

Rob from San Diego

I think Imperial is kind of an American pride thing. It's like, it's my system, you can keep yours. At the same time, I like being able to cut things in half over and over again, and have an easy number to deal with. What's .0125 anyway?
    Corner Archery Staff, T.R.U. Ball Staff, Hoyt Staff, Winner's Choice, Doinker Staff
    2011 Hoyt Contender Elite, GTX Cam, 58 lbs, 27 draw, LH
    Sureloc Supreme Sight, Extreme Scope
    Trophy Taker Blade Rest, Doinker Platinum, TruBall HT/ Absolute 360
    Indoor: Easton 2315 Outdoor: Easton Protour

I much prefer it... Seeing as all science is metric
    Jacob Hemstock
    '11 VE+ '14 PCE XL
    I shoot for: GT, Axcel/Truball, Viscosity strings, FV
    "put your dot in the middle and shoot your shot, they'll tell you if you won later"

I use standard all the time when I'm drawing in autocad just because that's what I've grown up with, that's what machinist (in the usa of course) would prefer, and I have all the fractions down to 1/64th memorized so why switch.

At the same time, what was the person who came up with the american standard system thinking? I mean come on...why make all the numbers so odd and not divisible by each other? Also, everything in the metric system is corresponding, like for example, there's 1000cm^3 in a liter...I never use the metric system and I can tell you that, but I can't tell you how many cubic inches there are in a gallon (actually, I just looked it up and it says there's 231in^3, wth?).
    Bowtech SentinelGoldtip Ultralights...Axcel Armortech HD...B-Stinger Premiere Plus

And he said to them, "Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness,
    for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."
    Luke 12:15

the only kind of metric I use is in wrenches since about 90% of the nuts and bolts on my truck are metric, but other than that I use inches, sometimes centimeters and yards for any sort of work or archery.
    Elite Z28 Snow 65#: Easton Bowfire, Muzzy, Qad, Black Gold, X-factor
    Elite Energy 35:Elite Ultra rest, black gold, easton injexion, x-factor
    Elite Answer *ninja*: QAD, Black Gold, Injexion, Muzzy
    Elite Energy 32 80#

But thou, ten-thou all that is more precise than the standard imperial system... The standard metric system...

all I know I physics is all metric or you gotta convert. Metric is based on a 10scale and work pretty well
    Jacob Hemstock
    '11 VE+ '14 PCE XL
    I shoot for: GT, Axcel/Truball, Viscosity strings, FV
    "put your dot in the middle and shoot your shot, they'll tell you if you won later"

Metric is based on 1000. There's 1000 millimeters in a meter, there's 1000 meters in a kilometer, decimals are a lot easier to use then fractions and tenfold more accurate for science and really everyday use, for weight there is 1 gram which is 1/1000th of a kilogram a kilogram is 1/1000th of a tonne, a tonne is 1/1000th of a mega tonne. Its pretty simple and effective also in fairly sure that 60miles/h is the same as 100km per hour.

I use metric whenever I can.

So much easier to remember, unit - wise.
    Archers patronizing and bashing fellow Archers with the purest distillate of ignorance, arrogance, and condescension.

nope. except when traveling, even then i mentally convert to standard for reference
    Shooting Hoyt now, dabbling with Bowtech...

if your are a tool and die maker or a machinest because everything is in whole numbers easier and quicker to add!

PSE, GoldTip Arrows, CBE, Scott Releases, Bohning Archery, Feather Vision
    Toxic Twist Bow Stings
    Deer Crossing Archery