a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Should I get a peep sight?

Should I get a peep sight?

Hello,

I took up archery roughly 5 months ago and have become really fond of it and am serious about getting better. I am a recurve shooter and am using a Hoyt Horizon for now. I try to read and practice as much as I can without damaging my relationship and a full-time job . I'm at a point where I my groups are within a 4 inch wide circle at 18M (not pretending that its great...just to give you guys an idea of my 'level').

Now, I'm wondering if I should install a peep sight on my bow to help achiever more consistency and better groups. Some questions/concerns that come to mind are:

1. Will a peep sight make me more consistent or will I just end up becoming more dependent on it?
    2. Are peep sights allowed in competitions? When I remove it, will there be a big readjustment phase?
    3. Will a peep severely limit my experimentation with draw lengths/anchor positions and stance?
    4. Should I wait to install a peep until I'm a 110% sure about my choice of stance/anchor and DL? Or are they easy to adjust if I change my anchor a little?
    5. Most peeps I've seen installed are smack in the middle of the string; however, when I shoot normally, the string is just tad bit off to one side of the pupil because otherwise the string blur reduces sight/target clarity. Now, when I remove the peep I will have been trained to shoot with the string in the center of my pupil. Will this be a problem?
    6. Will stringing/unstringing my bow become a problem/more cumbersome because of the sight?

Advice is much appreciated!
    Thanks
    Vin

I've never seen a peep sight used on a recurve. It's not permitted in any organized competition. Even in competition where a front sight is permitted on a recurve, a peep is not.

You've pointed out a couple of problems with a peep & recurve. Additionally, peeps are not practical for shooting without a release. To be useful, the peep has to be square to your eye and it's difficult to keep it square when the string is rolling on your fingers.

A peep is like the rear sight on a rifle. It works well on compound bows shot with a release. For recurves, the rear sight is your hand anchored to a specific spot on your face. The more consistently you can hit the same spot, the more accurate you will be.

Hope this helps,
    Allen

Thanks for the advice Allen! You're right, it might actually be more trouble than its worth, might as well focus on making my anchor position stronger.

I suppose one thing the peep would have helped a lot in is reducing some guess work for what aspects of my shooting need improvement...but not a huge deal.

Vin

another great post here from allen.................