Thread: Perfect day to fish in Ohio

Perfect day to fish in Ohio

My kids are off on spring break so I decided to take them steelhead fishing on Conneaut Creek. Now I was the only one who hooked and landed any fish but the kids loved it anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Geauga Bow Staff Shooter, Black Eagle Arrows Staff Shooter, Athens Staff Shooter
    Athens Testament,QAD Rest,Doinker 12"Dish,Viper Sight,Target setup,Midas2 rest,27" front and 12"side Bstinger

The river was cristal clear, it was a perfect day. My 12 & 6 year old daughter had a blast and my 3 year old son just ate chips just enjoying seeing the fish go up and down the river.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Geauga Bow Staff Shooter, Black Eagle Arrows Staff Shooter, Athens Staff Shooter
    Athens Testament,QAD Rest,Doinker 12"Dish,Viper Sight,Target setup,Midas2 rest,27" front and 12"side Bstinger

Excellent! Great to see kids, and families, enjoying the outdoor pursuits.
    ....................Sent via Overland Pony Express.............

"We've upped our standards. Up yours"

What are they biting on? Flys or "garden" tackle (worms)? Have you ever used Thill floats?

Nice fish. Nice kids.

I tye my own flys though not pretty they work. I used a White sucker spawn with a dropper of a #10 black stone fly, That male stealhead took the black stone fly. I have never used Thill floats, do you like them? This day the water was really clear so I had no strike indacator on, the fish were super spooky.

Thill floats (aka pencil floats) are untra sensitive "bobbers" and easy to cast into the wind. Just balance the float by placing several small (BB) size lead shot on your line until only the red/yellow paint is visible above the water. Any movement, up, down, left, right indicates that something has taken the bait.

They also look like just another stick floating down the river. You can rig them as a slip bobber to fish 30' down or use the silicone tubes to fix your line to the top and bottom shaft for depths from 1' up to the length of your rod. There's no need to untie/tie any knots if you want to change float size. Just slip the tubes off and use a smaller, larger, different style float.

I've compared Thill River Masters, Stealth, and Shy Bites to the smallest round bobbers (about the size of dime) in lakes invested with little, bait-stealing, bluegills. The bluegills were able to strip worms from a hook suspended under the round bobber without moving the bobber. The Thill floats rose up when the bluegills nibbled at the worm. Very sensitive if balanced properly.

I've never used them with a fly line but they work very well with light spinning reel rigs. Casting reels need more weight to get any casting distance.

Thill floats are now owned by Lindy. There are several books by Mick Thill that describe which float to use and how best to use it. A quick scan didn't find any rigging pictures.

http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/ca...oldmedalfloats