Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CNC trad or not ???

I don't shoot traditional gear I shoot recurves.

I have for over 30 years. Some are made of wood by one man some are made of aluminum etc. and made in a shop with multiple employees

I could care less what is considered trad

This is like a bamboo fly rod fisherman saying to the graphite fly rod fisherman he is not a traditional fly fisherman. Kinda silly

Bear was making metal riser recurves along time ago

is this a repeat of the instinctive thread... is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable... lol lol lol lol lol ...kinda like jparanees scenario take on it with the fly rods....

well one things for certain..between this thread and the other one? LOL!

I dont give a dang who calls what what.

Before all this discussion?..i had my own personal perception of what "I would call Traditional"..based on my 50+ years of personal life experiences and memories..and i would imagine they vary from slightly too greatly for everyone..but due to this discussion?..and the sharing of thoughts and experiences of others?..my perception has been changed....a tad..
    GOD is my "Aiming System"...and I'm just one of his many arrows!
    BLACK WIDOW PSA II TD RECURVE 62"/43# @28"
    1975 HERTERS PERFECTION MAGNUM RECURVE 60"/44# @ 28"
    BUSHMEN "AMERICAN NATIVE" R/D LONGBOW 64"/37# @ 28"

Quote Originally Posted by Curve1 View Post
    When laminated fiberglass bows were introduced on the market in the late 40's early 50's, I wonder if they had these discussions?
    When manufactured arrow nocks were introduced? Manufactured strings? Feathers? Not shooting off your hand but shooting off a shelf?
    When Microflite arrows hit the market, since they were made of material other than wood, were they not traditional???
    I guess when you say traditional, it depends on how far back in the history of archery you want to go.
    I started in archery as a kid in 1955 but didn't start bowhunting and shooting field archery until the mid 60s and my experiences were different than MAC's. Most of us didn't care at all what the others were shooting. We welcomed aluminum and fiberglass arrows with open arms. As far as bows were concerned we had the need for speed and that took up most of our conversations about bows then. I bet if ILF and superfast premium limbs was invented then we'd all have been shooting them.

"CNC trad or not ???" Sure is...goes back to the origins of the CNC machine. Rick.
    The best book I ever read on human behavior was about training dogs

Quote Originally Posted by rickstix View Post
    "CNC trad or not ???" Sure is...goes back to the origins of the CNC machine. Rick.
    LOL! NOW THERE'S A CONCEPT I CAN CLING ONTO!

as rickstix is correct...i've been an aerospace machinst for over 25years of my adult life..manuals lathes, mills, then cnc lathes, mills and even drawing, creating surfaces from B/P and models and programming my own 3D milling paths..well..like i said...rickstix is correct...much like cnc's made manuals "Traditional"?..my boss/owner just bought one of these for well over a cool million $'s...and it's quickly making CNC's... "Traditional"

It's called a "DLMS" machine..(Direct Laser Metal Sintering)...a plotter arm sweeps a table that lowers .002" per sweep and lays down the powdered alloy in the shape of the part...then the laser beam sinters/melts it..the table drops .002 and here comes the next layer of powder to be sintered/melted to the first..it has an accuracy level of .002" and can do things cnc's can't..like make a bolt with a nut on it with a ball on the end of the bolt so that the nut can't be removed..it's opening up a whole new world for aerospace design engineering..and making CNC's "TRAD"

check it out..cool but..glad i'm less than a decade away from retiring as a machinist.

But i guess that makes me.."A Trad Machinist"

Funny story for you guys - I was at a local 3d shoot over in Idaho last weekend (3 hours is local out here) I was shooting in a mixed group of recurve shooters - myself , stringwalking a Oly bow, a gap shooter shooting a metal riser that he had weighted himself, a gap shooter with a wood riser, and a guy with a leather back quiver shooting site picture (instinctive). We were all shooting well mostly 8s and 10s and no looking for arrows - and no yapping about what and how people were shooting or aiming.

At one target we stopped to shoot the compound stakes before walking up to the traditional stakes and as we did a 3 guys walked up behind us with full blow open class compound rigs - I knew 2 of them the older of the 2 is a top top flight shooter wins the Washington state 3d shoots most of the time and has come over to MT and won our state shoot as well and we hate sending metal back to Washington.

The guy walked up to one of the other guys in my group (who he knew) and casually asked if he could take a shot - recurve guys said "no sweat" and handed over the bow - at this point I could tell the other recurve guys were all expecting him to fail miserably. Compound guy picks up the bow asks the gap and drills a ten. I was standing slightly behind him when he shot and it was a sight to behold - grip was soft - bow arm was rock solid - as he expanded you could see the shoulder blade shift and the elbow come around - release broke crisp - and the hand flew back to his touch point - bow arm stayed like a rock until the arrow impacted - a text book example of how to shoot a bow with proper back tension.

He handed the bow back and said "I never said I couldn't shoot one of these I just chose to shoot these (holding up his compound).

My long winded point is archery is archery and it don't matter what you shoot.

I am an Archer who happens to stringwalk a recurve.

Matt

To me, it doesn't matter what its made of as long as it doesn't have wheels......I do Native American Art, thats my love and forte. I'm not an Indian tho I have some in my blood. I do renditions of native American art, not actual Indian art so I can get away with it. I think the metal risers are like that. They aren't the traditional wood stick and string but they are replicas that are basically the same in form and structure........
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

jinkster now I get it being a machinist if I have labeled it right ,,,is like a carpenter who doesn`t trim out his house and a tinker who has holes in his shoes and the last thing you want to shoot with is a machined riser.. my apology now I know where your coming from and good for you some day we will shoot together at some happening.. and you are competitive as the rest of us ...from your posts and obsession to be a better shooter its a given.. glad to know ya ...good shooting....

Quote Originally Posted by JINKSTER View Post
    Hey! Wait a double fudge minute here! Aren't you the same OP who started this entire thread with an initial posting of..

"What the hell let's fight it out, it's done better here than anywhere else."

and now you take a "Can't we all just get along" demeanor on page 2 of a thread YOU STARTED not 6 hours ago?

Who are you?..Rodney Kings legal rep?

okay..i mean i guess i can force myself to believe this crap till dec. 21 2012 but...if we're still here dec. 22nd?..it's on!

Jink,

Sorry I'm not a Legal rep for Mr. King and I can tell you that at one time I did consider myself a traditional archery elitist. Yes I used to be someone who thought if you aren't shooting a Hill bow with wood arrows and a back quiver, you still had a way to go. But I will admit the error of my ways and I am thankful for it. Because you see I was trying to fit into a mold and what took me a while to learn was I didn't like being a stereotype. I found that I loved to shoot everything and anything related to archery. I am proud of the fact that I can shoot a Self bow, Recurve, Metal Riser ILF Recurve, R/D Longbow, Straight Limb Longbow, and yes the dreaded Compound, and I love them all because it brings me great pleasure to shoot them.
    Lately it has impressed upon me on how many want to limit themselves, if it's truly want they want to achieve so be it, but if anyone ifs "toughing" it out to impress anyone else, forget it, life is way to short.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASSICHUNTER View Post
    jinkster now I get it being a machinist if I have labeled it right ,,,is like a carpenter who doesn`t trim out his house and a tinker who has holes in his shoes and the last thing you want to shoot with is a machined riser.. my apology now I know where your coming from and good for you some day we will shoot together at some happening.. and you are competitive as the rest of us ...from your posts and obsession to be a better shooter its a given.. glad to know ya ...good shooting....
    Thank you sir..and no apology necessary..it's a breath of fresh that you exhibited such a fine upstanding level of "understanding".

Quote Originally Posted by LongStick64 View Post
    Jink,

Sorry I'm not a Legal rep for Mr. King and I can tell you that at one time I did consider myself a traditional archery elitist. Yes I used to be someone who thought if you aren't shooting a Hill bow with wood arrows and a back quiver, you still had a way to go. But I will admit the error of my ways and I am thankful for it. Because you see I was trying to fit into a mold and what took me a while to learn was I didn't like being a stereotype. I found that I loved to shoot everything and anything related to archery. I am proud of the fact that I can shoot a Self bow, Recurve, Metal Riser ILF Recurve, R/D Longbow, Straight Limb Longbow, and yes the dreaded Compound, and I love them all because it brings me great pleasure to shoot them.
    Lately it has impressed upon me on how many want to limit themselves, if it's truly want they want to achieve so be it, but if anyone ifs "toughing" it out to impress anyone else, forget it, life is way to short.
    Hey...fine by me..i aint the one that jumped out there with an opening line of..

i just participated.

Are we not comparing in-line muzzle loaders to flint locks, and asking which one is a TRUE muzzle loader? This is all about a label that did not exist a generation ago. If we changed the labels to mechanically aided (read as compound, as in compounded leverage.) and non mechanically aided (read single string, single leveraged) would the be any thing argue about ? Before Gorden Composites, all bows were wood, there was no fiberglass.Before computers, we had cast risers.Now we have molded carbon fiber. So Primitive (wood , horn, bone, sinew ect.) , classical (fiberglass laminated limbs) , modern (cast, forged, milled or molded), all fall into the same category, at the level of mechanically aided leverage, verses non mechanical leverage (ALL bows are a lever that provide a mechanical advantage , or else it is just a skinny little spear.). Are we mistakenly using the label, "traditional", when we mean "historical"? It is ALL archery, in it not? No matter were you start this discussion, you can create a subcategory. "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet".(Shakespeare). Peace be with you, and happy Easter! Remember to focus on what is really important in life (God , the ones you love, and the others around you.). Every breath is a gift.

Life is sure enough a gift from the Lord and I just saw where Thomas Kinkaid died at 54. Way too young to die of natural causes.......
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

Quote Originally Posted by JINKSTER View Post
    Hey...fine by me..i aint the one that jumped out there with an opening line of..

i just participated.
    And I don't think I was very wrong about that right !

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Potter View Post
    Compound guy picks up the bow asks the gap and drills a ten.
    Lol!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123