Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Christian Group Takes Issue with Anti-Bullying Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Huntin4Elk View Post
    Where is the compassion????
    From wht I'm reading in the article, focus on the family is against the bill because part of the "antibullying" is schools teaching kids at a young age that homosexuality is ok and normal..(in a nut shell) and they don't believe the schools shld be indoctrinating kids like tht. Thts focus on the families issue...from wht I gather. Which is different from bullying (being physically abusive). Like I said....id like to hear more from both sides of the story because both sides are going to try to slant it their way. When u first read the title it makes one think..."hmmmm focus on the family is against this antibullying campaign against gay kids, they must want these gay kids bullied and beat up and picked on by other kids at school"....but wht it seems like to me is that that's not the ce which is also what I think some of you guys are trying to make it out to be....but I cld be wrong and may have mkssed something. I don't think focus on the family wants A"Y kid to actually be bullied but they don't want schools teaching young children that homosexuality is ok and normal either. Big differe

Ps spelling is bad, iapologize I'm on my phone.
    Kravguy said I could have my mancard back.

Got this link in my FoF email this morning:
    http://www.dayofdialogue.com/
    In contrast to the whole idea of silence, this is a day that encourages open dialogue.

Through the Day of Dialogue, Focus hopes to encourage peaceful, student-initiated conversations and ensure there is a safe space for different perspectives and viewpoints, including faith-based ones.
    And these four:
    https://www.truetolerance.org/

http://fota.cdnetworks.net/truetoler...ngpolicies.pdf

http://fota.cdnetworks.net/truetoler...pen_letter.pdf
    Couldn't copy the text but jump down to the 4th paragraph from the end.

http://fota.cdnetworks.net/truetoler...tibullying.pdf

Interesting thing about the "safe schools" czar, Kevin Jennings(who's agency allocated $410 million in 2011) , he's the founder of GLSEN.
    James Dobson has more authority on the raising of healthy children & healthy families than any one of the people listed in all the literature, I bet he wouldn't be considered for the position of Safe School Czar.....
    Walk Your Talk

Wonder how much anti-bullying laws will infringe on free speech
    Not as smart or as good looking as punch master but I charge 1/4 of what he does & I take coupons

What is normal???????

So being gay or believe your in the wrong body are abnormal compared to those who (we will call them normal for the sake of argument) normal and aren't gay/transgender like, but how about the kid in the movie he was just a socially inept kid, same with autistic kids......so let me ask you this how many of you have friends or even your self have an autistic kid? is it right to tell that kid hey your gonna die at age 42 cause your all autistic like?

Just cause your holy book says it's bad thing doesn't mean you have a right to treat people like crap. Autisim has it's own agenda....too but I don;t see you guys getting all up in a roar, when moms/dad complain about inoculations shots being the reason kids are autistic, the whole Oh my they have an agenda is crap...... everybody has an agenda everybody wants things to be their way.....we too freaking bad.

What you do not have a right to is harassing another being. PERIOD!

anti-bullying laws IMO are a waste, we have laws already on the books for harassing, threatening ect. Use them and include underage kids in those laws and it a done deal. And what should be the main things schools teach is that picking on weaker subject ( such as autistic children or social inept kids) does not make you a better person it makes you a sad sad being
    Fair and Balanced with a splash of Sarcasm, and pinch of Reason

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKSTER View Post
    What is normal???????

So being gay or believe your in the wrong body are abnormal compared to those who (we will call them normal for the sake of argument) normal and aren't gay/transgender like, but how about the kid in the movie he was just a socially inept kid, same with autistic kids......so let me ask you this how many of you have friends or even your self have an autistic kid? is it right to tell that kid hey your gonna die at age 42 cause your all autistic like?

Just cause your holy book says it's bad thing doesn't mean you have a right to treat people like crap. Autisim has it's own agenda....too but I don;t see you guys getting all up in a roar, when moms/dad complain about inoculations shots being the reason kids are autistic, the whole Oh my they have an agenda is crap...... everybody has an agenda everybody wants things to be their way.....we too freaking bad.

anti-bullying laws IMO are a waste, we have laws already on the books for harassing, threatening ect. Use them and include underage kids in those laws and it a done deal. And what should be the main things schools teach is that picking on weaker subject ( such as autistic children or social inept kids) does not make you a better person it makes you a sad sad being

Which is exactly what scripture says & what the purpose is of FOF's Day of Dialogue.

& BTW, many people get all up in a roar when moms/dad complain about inoculations. That topic simply isn't usually discussed here, sometimes MNc brings it up though.

& the very idea that the article used some quote from a band doesn't bode well for the veracity of the article. I don't see everybody getting upset when pop music promotes underage/irresponsible sex, abuse of drugs & alcohol & bad behavior in general.
    Walk Your Talk

Quote Originally Posted by cobowhntr View Post
    Which is exactly what scripture says & what the purpose is of FOF's Day of Dialogue.

& BTW, many people get all up in a roar when moms/dad complain about inoculations. That topic simply isn't usually discussed here, sometimes MNc brings it up though.

& the very idea that the article used some quote from a band doesn't bode well for the veracity of the article. I don't see everybody getting upset when pop music promotes underage/irresponsible sex, abuse of drugs & alcohol & bad behavior in general.
    LOL.....well dear I guess you slept through the 80's and the Parents Music resource center.....( all that did was drive up the sales for those on the list )

I figure the scripture should be kept in the church...when you get them all to go by the scripture then come talk to us heathens.....

I'm against bullying but why sexualize it when it doesn't need to be?

Why force kids to take a stand on their sexual identity before they are equipped to explore it?

Quote Originally Posted by ZenBubba View Post
    I'm against bullying but why sexualize it when it doesn't need to be?

Why force kids to take a stand on their sexual identity before they are equipped to explore it?
    I agree. It's not something 10 year olds are prepared to even deal with yet. Or most 16 year olds these days. Kids today seem immature to me.

As for a gay kid being bullied and wanting to commit suicide, why wouldn't one expect the cause of the gay kid's disconnect with the "norm" and lack of self esteem be the basis for wanting to kill themselves and not the bullying or teasing?
    Sent via my 1918 Bell hand crank phone

What is normal???????

Is this directed at my last post or just to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster of Xs View Post
    I agree. It's not something 10 year olds are prepared to even deal with yet. Or most 16 year olds these days. Kids today seem immature to me.

As for a gay kid being bullied and wanting to commit suicide, why wouldn't one expect the cause of the gay kid's disconnect with the "norm" and lack of self esteem be the basis for wanting to kill themselves and not the bullying or teasing?
    and what do you think fuels that feeling of disconnect? I've never heard of anyone that feels bad because they are gay. the only thing that is hard is finding a good companion for a meaningful relationship and for some dealing with parent's expectations.
    If you are willing to doubt the theory of gravity because it is "just a theory" then I suggest you jump out of a 10 story building to test your hypothesis.- Richard Dawkins
    anything that is not related to an elephant is irrelephant

Quote Originally Posted by savedbygrace View Post
    Is this directed at my last post or just to anyone?
    you and any one else.......

LOL.....well dear I guess you slept through the 80's and the Parents Music resource center.....( all that did was drive up the sales for those on the list )

I figure the scripture should be kept in the church...when you get them all to go by the scripture then come talk to us heathens.....
    Actually I remember the PMRC, the inconvenient truth is that it was Al's wife Tipper that was the leading force behind that movement(Ironic no?). What's also interesting is that the core argument of the group is actually quite valid, basically garbage in garbage out. Their push was to stop the "surprise factor" for parents that didn't quite understand the lyrical content & "message" the songs were getting across.
    Kinda like it's ok to bully fat girls cause they aren't included in the anti bullying message that is being mandated in schools.

Scripture isn't the issue with the Day of Dialogue nor the "Issues with anti-bullying laws" claimed by the OP. It's the fact that GLSEN & the "safe schools" initiative is attempting to elevate gay issues to a pedestal under the guise of anti bullying legislation. The founder of GLSEN, who is now the safe schools czar, made that very statement when founding GLSEN.
    Walk Your Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhooder3 View Post
    and what do you think fuels that feeling of disconnect? I've never heard of anyone that feels bad because they are gay. the only thing that is hard is finding a good companion for a meaningful relationship and for some dealing with parent's expectations.
    interesting that I've heard many accounts of people that struggled with feeling bad over their ssa. & I don't particularly follow the ssa "issue".
    Walk Your Talk

you and any one else.......
    Hmmm. Ok then. Allow me to clarify my point although I'm not sure what I said that got your drawers in a wad.

What is normal???????
    "Normal" was my wording and probably not what I should have used. My whole point was that what focus on the family seemed to have a problem with was the anti-bullying laws seemed to be a mask for teachers teaching kids about gay marriage, in which they feel it's the parents job to do that.

From the article...

"The school introduced anti-bullying lessons, but really they're teaching elementary school kids about gay marriage," Candi Cushman, education analyst for Focus on the Family, told ABC. "We think parents should have the right to teach kids about it in their own way."

That's why I said I would have liked to hear both sides point of view a little more in detail.

N/A as to my point.

Just cause your holy book says it's bad thing doesn't mean you have a right to treat people like crap.
    Agreed. But who is treating who like crap? Is that the meaning you are getting from the article? That focus on the family is advocating treating homosexual kids like "crap"?

Oh my they have an agenda is crap...... everybody has an agenda everybody wants things to be their way.....we too freaking bad.
    So if you agree that everyone has an agenda why is it "crap"?

Agreed. Even if you don't agree with something that someone believes you, you should never bully them or treat them like "crap" because of it. That type of mentality starts at home imo.

I still don't see how kids who haven't even had sex can actually be gay? I doubt they'd identify themselves in that way if the media didn't push it so hard and paint it as a positive thing.

Hmmm. Ok then. Allow me to clarify my point although I'm not sure what I said that got your drawers in a wad.

"Normal" was my wording and probably not what I should have used. My whole point was that what focus on the family seemed to have a problem with was the anti-bullying laws seemed to be a mask for teachers teaching kids about gay marriage, in which they feel it's the parents job to do that.

From the article...

"The school introduced anti-bullying lessons, but really they're teaching elementary school kids about gay marriage," Candi Cushman, education analyst for Focus on the Family, told ABC. "We think parents should have the right to teach kids about it in their own way."

That's why I said I would have liked to hear both sides point of view a little more in detail.

N/A as to my point.

Agreed. But who is treating who like crap? Is that the meaning you are getting from the article? That focus on the family is advocating treating homosexual kids like "crap"?

So if you agree that everyone has an agenda why is it "crap"?

Agreed. Even if you don't agree with something that someone believes you, you should never bully them or treat them like "crap" because of it. That type of mentality starts at home imo.
    First off, my drawers aren't in a wad, and second it must be yours cause you took this all personal as it was a general statement. Seriously dude it's not about you.

Third, as a general statement goes I am stating that everybody has an agenda .....and so what.....that does not negate nor take away from the fact that children and adults are picking on others because they are perceived as weaker or abnormal.

And fourth.....this is this ladies opinion only since we don't have the proof what is taught in class.
    "The school introduced anti-bullying lessons, but really they're teaching elementary school kids about gay marriage," Candi Cushman, education analyst for Focus on the Family,
    told ABC
    . "We think parents should have the right to teach kids about it in their own way."

and lastly......as I said before no one has the right to harass another person for any reason.

Actually I remember the PMRC, the inconvenient truth is that it was Al's wife Tipper that was the leading force behind that movement(Ironic no?). What's also interesting is that the core argument of the group is actually quite valid, basically garbage in garbage out. Their push was to stop the "surprise factor" for parents that didn't quite understand the lyrical content & "message" the songs were getting across.
    Kinda like it's ok to bully fat girls cause they aren't included in the anti bullying message that is being mandated in schools.

Scripture isn't the issue with the Day of Dialogue nor the "Issues with anti-bullying laws" claimed by the OP. It's the fact that GLSEN & the "safe schools" initiative is attempting to elevate gay issues to a pedestal under the guise of anti bullying legislation. The founder of GLSEN, who is now the safe schools czar, made that very statement when founding GLSEN.
    ya and how'd that work out for them, and Tipper was only one of several ladies much of whom were republicans.....but any how how'd that work.....did that stop kids from listening to it...why better yet did it stop you from listening or having premarital sex, or self loving yourself( rhetorical)

Like I said before schools and adult groups including church need to get the message out that harassing some one is not proper and is very wrong, even if done in the name of a deity. Anti-bully laws are a waste we have laws already just adjust them to include children.

First off, my drawers aren't in a wad, and second it must be yours cause you took this all personal as it was a general statement. Seriously dude it's not about you.
    lol Oh no dear I promise you an internet forum will be the last thing on earth that will get my drawers in a wad. Under armour heat gear boxer briefs to be exact. I asked if you referred to me because I just wanted to make sure I was being clear and I didn't understand where some of your points were coming from. It's just an OCD thing with me...pay me no attention. And from your typing, it just seemed maybe you were agitated. Hard to read someone's emotions by typed words. I apologize.

Third, as a general statement goes I am stating that everybody has an agenda .....and so what.....that does not negate nor take away from the fact that children and adults are picking on others because they are perceived as weaker or abnormal.
    Ok. But what were you referring to being as "crap" when it came to the agenda comment?

And fourth.....this is this ladies opinion only since we don't have the proof what is taught in class.
    Exactly. Which is why I said I would have liked to hear more details from both sides on the issue.

and lastly......as I said before no one has the right to harass another person for any reason.
    Agreed.

And you didn't answer this question for me. You said...

"Just cause your holy book says it's bad thing doesn't mean you have a right to treat people like crap."

Who is treating who like crap? Is that the meaning you are getting from the article? That focus on the family is advocating treating homosexual kids like "crap"?

I still don't see how kids who haven't even had sex can actually be gay? I doubt they'd identify themselves in that way if the media didn't push it so hard and paint it as a positive thing.
    you are confusing homosexual behavior with being gay
    Walk Your Talk

you are confusing homosexual behavior with being gay

lol Oh no dear I promise you an internet forum will be the last thing on earth that will get my drawers in a wad. Under armour heat gear boxer briefs to be exact. I asked if you referred to me because I just wanted to make sure I was being clear and I didn't understand where some of your points were coming from. It's just an OCD thing with me...pay me no attention. And from your typing, it just seemed maybe you were agitated. Hard to read someone's emotions by typed words. I apologize.

Ok. But what were you referring to being as "crap" when it came to the agenda comment?

Exactly. Which is why I said I would have liked to hear more details from both sides on the issue.

Agreed.

And you didn't answer this question for me. You said...

"Just cause your holy book says it's bad thing doesn't mean you have a right to treat people like crap."

Who is treating who like crap? Is that the meaning you are getting from the article? That focus on the family is advocating treating homosexual kids like "crap"?

Crap was in reference to a poster who said they have an agenda......blah blah that is why I said crap everybody has an agenda.....

those who use the bible to treat people like crap cause they are gay or transsexual, and try to make laws so that folks can't be who they are those are the people I speak of, either the states need ot get out of the marriage business or strike out the whole part about man being equal...... cause if we are equal then any one should be allowed to marry any other consenting adult.

ya and how'd that work out for them, and Tipper was only one of several ladies much of whom were republicans.....but any how how'd that work.....did that stop kids from listening to it...why better yet did it stop you from listening or having premarital sex, or self loving yourself( rhetorical)
    It wasn't about stopping kids it was about alerting parents to what they kids were & are being exposed to so that they could make better informed decisions. Some stores, wally world, won't carry PA labeled offerings- but I don't believe that was the genuine intent rather marketing genius(a parent would feel "safe" allowing their child to pick anything off the shelf- kinda like the agri-biz re-writting the "organic" label). What's interesting about that whole deal is how it's actually caused a bit of a shift in musical lyrics. Often songs don't get the PA label because they don't use "explicit" language however the message is usually just as controversial. I kissed a girl is a typical example.
    I don't believe for a second that industry song writers don't look to subvert parents in an effort to mold future purchasers(todays kids)
    Walk Your Talk

It wasn't about stopping kids it was about alerting parents to what they kids were & are being exposed to so that they could make better informed decisions. Some stores, wally world, won't carry PA labeled offerings- but I don't believe that was the genuine intent rather marketing genius(a parent would feel "safe" allowing their child to pick anything off the shelf- kinda like the agri-biz re-writting the "organic" label). What's interesting about that whole deal is how it's actually caused a bit of a shift in musical lyrics. Often songs don't get the PA label because they don't use "explicit" language however the message is usually just as controversial. I kissed a girl is a typical example.
    I don't believe for a second that industry song writers don't look to subvert parents in an effort to mold future purchasers(todays kids)
    All that did was to get kids to buy the dirty records and hide them from parents, or like you said it spurned a whole industry of innuendos.........so ya what a great thing they all did for us......

those who use the bible to treat people like crap cause they are gay or transsexual, and try to make laws so that folks can't be who they are those are the people I speak of, either the states need ot get out of the marriage business or strike out the whole part about man being equal...... cause if we are equal then any one should be allowed to marry any other consenting adult.
    Ok. I was just wondering why the article or topic brought that specific thought process to your mind.

WOW...I'm actually agreeing with Cobow. You are confusing homosexual behavior with being gay. A person doesn't have to engage in sexual activity to know they are gay. Do you know any homosexuals???
    Tree Huggin Hippie who hunts elk with a bow and appreciates a good dark beer. An enigma walking.
    Oh, and I'm not a dude. A

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast