a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Trail Camera on public land?

Trail Camera on public land?

So with gas prices rising scouting trips are probably going to get cut down a bit. How many of you use trail cameras on public land? ANy problems with theft? Suggestions regarding cameras. Thanks

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!

Right now it is illegal in WI. to leave trail cameras out overnight on public land. they are looking at changing it. If so I still won't due to theft.

anyone?
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!

I left mine on public land. Got a Bushnell, and a security box, along with a chain lock and a an on guard Kevlar guard. It was fine

Just something you might want to check in to also is to check with the DNR or WCO or whatever they're called there. Even though the state may say one thing (say it's okay) different personel in different areas interpret them the way they feel it reads (so keep the state answer with you in writing). Getting a state reply will answer if you can do it or not. Here in PA State Game Lands and National Forests have 2 seperate regulations. I know one guy who uses his cams right at the border of the 2 and has been harassed by one or the other as they couldn't even tell where the boundary actually was.
    Now on that note I make homebrews and have pipethrough's in them and use Python cable locks. All this does is keep the honest people from taking it. Any thief can get it if they want it. Best thing is to make sure it's off the beaten path and hidden/camo'd someway. Some say to put it up high facing downward and this helps alot.
    Good luck.

I run mine with a lock box, big lag bolts, the thickest cable and padlock I could fit on it. So far ive had no problems....I don't put them in places easy to find and they are always on a tree big enough that you ain't cutting it down without coming back with a chainsaw. It's kind of a pain moving it from area to area, but it's better then inviting someone to just walk up grab it and go. Despite all my effort if they want it bad enough they CAN AND WILL get it.
    Elite Answer

thanks guys, good info
    what are you guys using for cameras. what do you like not like?
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!

You will always have problems with theft. Heck, I've had a lot of trail cams stolen on private land.

I have used the LTL ACORN camera. It is very small and easy to hide. Its small enough to fit in a front shirt pocket when used with just 4 batteries.
    www.ltlacorn.com
    Authorized Dealer for:Xpedition Archery:Strother Archery, Darton Archery, Predator Camo, Vapor Trail, Stokerized Stabilizers, Black Gold Sights, Lakewood Products (Bow Cases), Tru-Fire Releases, Spyderweb targets,First-Lite, LTL ACORN CAMERAS,Spot-Hogg, Reconyx,VORTEX Optics, Tightspot Quivers,Tenzing Packs,Sitka Clothing,

Had mine chained to a tree last year on public land. Two weeks after I hung it, it was gone. I was PISSED!
    Bear Lights Out
    QAD Ultra Rest
    Victory 350 Arrows
    Rage Broadheads

thanks guys
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!

I've left mine out all season for 3 seasons on public. Where I am though I'm not too worried. Most places I would not, or of I did it would be super locked
    Don't be a hater. Be a congratulater.

2012 Z7 Magnum 27.5/70# "Leggo my Eggo"
    2006 Bowtech Old Glory 28/60# "Keith Stone"

Never knew it was illegal to put them on public in Wis. There are some laws so foolish I , well never mind. Never had a problem though.