a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This one's for all the Instinctive Shooters

This one's for all the Instinctive Shooters

I'm a new instinctive Trad Shooter. I gave up the compound bow because I stunk at it. I just couldn't get comfortable with it and swiched to hunting with a crossbow for sheer accuracy. But the Crossbow is boring. So... I went Trad for some fun! (ANd having a blast!!)

Anyway, along the way I discovered that all the fancy hi-tech stuff on the compound bows just screwed me up. Peep sites mess me up, and worrying about my site, rest, grip, release etc... just messed me up mentally. Shooting instinctively, right off the shelf, and focusing on just my form and consistency makes me a more relaxed and better shooter. I focus on the target, draw my bow, and fire away, usually with decent accuracy out to 20 yds.

So, do the rest of you instinctive shooters relate to my hi-tech compound bow phobia??? I know a compound should be more accurate but all the doo-dads just make me lose my focus. But Instinctive shooting is like throwing a baseball, once you learn how to do it, you can throw strikes (or shoot nice goups) all day long.

Shooting a compound with all the gadgetry is very similar to shooting a stick bow....you still must have good form,release,and good mental focus...whether you are shooting instinkive or a designated gap you've still got to be very disciplined.

Dewayne
    SKY TR7 Gold XCCB TR7 Limbs 42# White
    SKY TR7 Silver XCCB TR7 Limbs 38# Black
    Carbon Express CXL 250
    carbon Express X Buster

Welcome to the forum, but are you really more accurate shooting your recurve or longbow than you were a compound? There's lots of reasons to choose a stickbow over a compound (or vise-versa) but you are the first I've seen that claimed accuracy as one. Good for you though, sounds like you are a natural at what many of us work our butt off to get competent at.

I also left the wheelie bows behind and went to trad for the fun it provides. Welcome and enjoy the new journey!
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanDeerSlayer View Post
    I'm a new instinctive Trad Shooter. I gave up the compound bow because I stunk at it. I just couldn't get comfortable with it and swiched to hunting with a crossbow for sheer accuracy. But the Crossbow is boring. So... I went Trad for some fun! (ANd having a blast!!)

Anyway, along the way I discovered that all the fancy hi-tech stuff on the compound bows just screwed me up. Peep sites mess me up, and worrying about my site, rest, grip, release etc... just messed me up mentally. Shooting instinctively, right off the shelf, and focusing on just my form and consistency makes me a more relaxed and better shooter. I focus on the target, draw my bow, and fire away, usually with decent accuracy out to 20 yds.

So, do the rest of you instinctive shooters relate to my hi-tech compound bow phobia??? I know a compound should be more accurate but all the doo-dads just make me lose my focus. But Instinctive shooting is like throwing a baseball, once you learn how to do it, you can throw strikes (or shoot nice goups) all day long.
    Yep....i can relate...compounds is a whole lotta "Thinking About It"...while holding 10#s..some for minutes on end...and it really cracks me up when they stay in their head so long stressing about this and that that they hold for like 3 minutes then completely stess themselves out of the shot and "Let Down"..followed with a huge sigh of anxioty like they just side-stepped inevitable death.

How do i know?..BTDT myself and got several T-shirts.

My best compound days were back when i had practiced the mental check list so much and so many times that it was all second nature and a long hold time for me was about 8 seconds..and the more successful i got?..the less i practiced..the longer my hold times became...and the more i go stressed out?..the less i liked it and the less i practiced..snowball effect and all downhill until it flat out just wasn't an enjoyable experience anymore..the problem?..me..i started taking myself way to seriously...i don't..well?..i TRY not to do that anymore..and the trad bows keep me way to humble to get there even if i wanted! So?..I love it...again.

I don't have that problem with my trad bows..
    "A person voicing their opinion on the net is often times an admission of character."
    BLACK WIDOW PSA II TD RECURVE 62"/43# @28"
    1975 HERTERS PERFECTION MAGNUM RECURVE 60"/44# @ 28"
    BUSHMEN "AMERICAN NATIVE" R/D LONGBOW 64"/37# @ 28"

a stick a string A tradition thing... get it....lol lol lol

So, do the rest of you instinctive shooters relate to my hi-tech compound bow phobia???
    Naw....the only thing that I have close to a phobia with is snakes

But Instinctive shooting is like throwing a baseball, once you learn how to do it, you can throw strikes (or shoot nice goups) all day long.
    Most of us that have been aiming Instinctively over the years will know there will be good days and bad days....where our concentration or hand and eye coordination isn't what we want it to be.

It also can be very mentally exhausting for some Instinctive shooters to try and have they same level of concentration required to shoot accurate arrows on after another all day long.

Most barebow archers who use a more conscious aiming technique can usually pull through those kind of days because they are consciously aware of their gaps and aiming references.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by JINKSTER View Post
    Yep....i can relate...compounds is a whole lotta "Thinking About It"...while holding 10#s..some for minutes on end...and it really cracks me up when they stay in their head so long stressing about this and that that they hold for like 3 minutes then completely stess themselves out of the shot and "Let Down"..followed with a huge sigh of anxioty like they just side-stepped inevitable death.
    I always get a kick out of that too!

Ray

You can shoot instinctive with a compound also.
    I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.

-- Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Curve1 View Post

Ray

do the rest of you instinctive shooters relate to my hi-tech compound bow phobia???
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WOLF View Post
    Naw....the only thing that I have close to a phobia with is snakes
    Same here, I hate 'em big time.

Yep. Thought about doing that recently.

Hope this doesn't go in the direction of the last one. I can't see how it's anything like throwing a baseball. You have a mechanicial advantage in your hand.

Bowmania

It is just like throwing a ball....if the target or the deer field's the catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowmania View Post
    Hope this doesn't go in the direction of the last one. I can't see how it's anything like throwing a baseball. You have a mechanicial advantage in your hand.

Bowmania
    The key word is 'like'....not 'exactly like' or 'just like'.

The way they are so similar is because true Instinctive Aiming involves more hand and eye coordination, proprioception and muscle/motor memory than the other aiming techniques and is LIKE throwing a baseball based on that...even if there is a mechanical advantage in the hand.

Ray

I don't claim to be a superior instinctive shooter. I can group 3 nice shots then come back later and blast one in the dirt.

The difference is, for me, that instinctive shooting allows me to focus on each shot, good or bad, and make immediate corrections to my technique. I get immediate feedback and can tell immediately that a poor shot was due to dropping my bow hand, aiming too high, pulled to the left, plucked too hard, etc... With the compound, I could never tell if it was me or if something need adjusted on the bow.

Instinctive also allows me to focus purely on my skills instead of all the doo-dads on the compound bow. I'm relaxed and calm and the whole experience is much more enjoyable and less frustrating.

Back to the baseball analogy... I throw the ball and I shoot the arrow, both are done instinctively. With a compound bow fully decked out with all the gadgets, am I shooting the arrow or am I just the operator of an elaborate arrow shooting device?

I'm not bashing compound bows, and i hunt with a crossbow which is the ultimate arrow shooting device. However, instinctive barebow shooting allows you to be much more in tune with the shot which i find very gratifying.

No...not really...I shoot with out the gadgets..because I prefer not using them....to much can go wrong..cost way more than it should...to heavy..too much noise..and not as nice feeling in the hand..not to mention...I like the look & feel of my bows grips over any compound I ever owned..I could shoot itty bitty groups all day long..and to me...it got boring as hell..so...not really any phobia about them..I just prefer what I have to them..

Mac
    Earl Hoyt Hunter Supreme 64" recurve. . 66lbs. Soon to have Centaur Hunter Supreme long bow...

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanDeerSlayer;10638396 52
    I'm not bashing compound bows, and i hunt with a crossbow which is the ultimate arrow shooting device.
    I wouldn't say 'ultimate arrow shooting device' It really depends upon the person's goals. I know I couldn't shoot as fast as this guy in the video with a crossbow...and I'm pretty sure no one else could either

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanDeerSlayer;10638396 52
    However, instinctive barebow shooting allows you to be much more in tune with the shot which i find very gratifying.
    I can DEFINITELY relate to that. That was probably the biggest draw to me to Instinctive aiming.

Ray

I dont know if I could even get a shot off on horse back.
    Is he pluckin his string????
    I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.

-- Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by MAC 11700 View Post
    No...not really...I shoot with out the gadgets..because I prefer not using them....to much can go wrong..cost way more than it should...to heavy..too much noise..and not as nice feeling in the hand..not to mention...I like the look & feel of my bows grips over any compound I ever owned..I could shoot itty bitty groups all day long..and to me...it got boring as hell..so...not really any phobia about them..I just prefer what I have to them..

I took my CRX 35 for a shot last week, after a warm up I was hitting a 1" dot (homemade target) easily at 20 yards. I haven't shot it for over a month but I still had good form. Too easy, too complicated, to much maintenance and since the appearance of the 'past parallel' limbs its harder to service them your self.

Trad gear & instinctive shooting has a lot going for it.

I dont know if I could even get a shot off on horse back.
    Ya definitely need a good horse for that.

Did you watch the 2 min. mark in the vid where he's shooting aerial targets? That's what I was specifically addressing.

Is he pluckin his string????
    I don't think so. He's using a thumb ring and his release happens as he's pulling with his back muscles...so all in all...I would say...no to plucking the string as compared to someone not using good back tension.

He is snap shooting though at least in regards to the effective term and technique of snap shooting.

Ray

That's awsome to watch. I was jokin about the pluckin...his style is obviously workin for him,...wait a minute ,did you say thumb ring??
    Is that traditional?
    Sorry, I couldn't resist.

-- Winston Churchill

wait a minute ,did you say thumb ring??
    Is that traditional?
    Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    I guess that depends on who you ask

Ray

Kassai doesn't use a thumb ring as part of his thumb is missing.

UrbanDeerSlayer it's great you found something that fits you and you have a new enthusiasum for shooting.

It always concerns me when I see people on these forums believing 'their way' is the only way to shoot, some people just aren't suited to sights/Gap or Instinct, a good coach has to see the potential within and help that Archer find the best/easiest path, if you dont have a coach finding the right path can be a lot of trial and error, it's no problem, it just takes longer and you do gain experience along the way.

You should keep us informed of your progress, you will have some downs along the way and this is normal for everybody, what you have to watch is you're not changing everything everytime you have a shooting low, you just end up chasing your tail.

Quote Originally Posted by steve morley View Post
    UrbanDeerSlayer it's great you found something that fits you and you have a new enthusiasum for shooting.
    You should keep us informed of your progress, you will have some downs along the way and this is normal for everybody, what you have to watch is you're not changing everything everytime you have a shooting low, you just end up chasing your tail.
    That is exactly what I was doing with the compound, changing things when I was shooting poorly and never getting comfortable. If anything, with instinctive shooting, I am simplifying as I improve. The technique begins to become second nature, and I find that simply focusing on my target and letting "my instinct" take over allows me to shoot much better. Its when i begin to over think the shot that i inevitably make subtle changes that result in a poor shot. That is why i like the baseball analogy. Once you learn to throw a ball you don't really think about it anymore, you just do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast