Thread: Summit Viper for Bowhunting

Summit Viper for Bowhunting

I've seen some "I'm new, what stand should I get" posts on here in the past where many, if not most, of the folks were recommending a Summit climber. I'm not new to hunting or bowhunting, and I actually owned a Viper years ago but I never tried to bowhunt out of it.

Now, though, I'm trying to be a little more mobile in my approach, I know I love the comfort of a climber in general and after using several brands/models of climbers owned by others, I know there is definitely something about the way a Summit goes up the tree that I appreciate.

So my question is for all of you folks out there using a Summit, specifically a Viper or similar sit & climb. What are your thoughts on the ease of bowhunting out of a Viper? To add a little color...I looked at a new one in the store the other day and it seemed clear that it was not possible to adjust the seat up high enough to be level with the frame, so I'll definitely be sitting down inside of it no matter how much I adjust it. I've hunted out of a convertible API where you could adjust the seat way up and it felt like my movements were mostly easy and unobstructed. I don't care for the weight, attachment method or the way an API climbs, though.

I have bow-hunted out of my vipers for several years & have zero complaints. The viper is the best climber on the market hands down. You will love bowhunting out of the viper. Buy the viper & thank me later.😉

Sent from "dumb redneck" using "smartphone"
    }--------->@<---------{

Sitting below the bar is fine with me. I actually will prop me knees against it to get really comfortable. If you don't like the idea of the bar look at the open shot model.It is very similar except there isn't a bar.

Mathews Creed 29.5/70 blacked out. Black eagle Rampage arrows.

I love hunting out of my viper.

I have a "open shot"if you wanna call it that, I bought my Summit way back when, Im more into my sticks now, as for complaints...I have zero, that stand today, still dosent creep, creek, or make a sound at all. As for the weight, well thats another story. If I was buying another climber...I would look at the Summits, and the ol mans. My buddy has a ol man and it is nice, light, compact. I will stick with the ladders sticks. Buy a Summit, you wont go wrong, but in the end...your the one backing it.

Own a Viper Classic and made an 8” plywood seat that sits on the top section bar, never liked the seat that came with it.

Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Ive hunted out of the open shot, viper, and I just got a Razor and I really like them all. The open shot is super light but has no rail around you however you sit way up and its easy to shoot from. The Viper you do have to stand up but I really like the comfort. However the new Razor is the best one. It folds flat with just 2 small bolts that pop out and lock it together. The rail is low in the front to shoot over, the seat adjusts nicely and I have no complaints. Its just not as fast as the others since it does require putting 2 bolts in each morning of the hunt but no big deal. Leave 5 minutes earlier

Thanks for the feedback and reassurance, guys. I've been giving the Razor some serious consideration as well, so it's good to hear feedback on that one. I've read some folks complaining about losing the bolts but it seems like there ought to be some way of attaching them so you can't lose them.

I use the larger "goliath" just raise your seat adjustment and hunt. Never had a problem.

Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 8Crow View Post
    Thanks for the feedback and reassurance, guys. I've been giving the Razor some serious consideration as well, so it's good to hear feedback on that one. I've read some folks complaining about losing the bolts but it seems like there ought to be some way of attaching them so you can't lose them.
    They are attached so I dont know how you can loose them. They have a washer on the backside so it cant pull out completly

Don't know how, but i lost one on my switch blade, called Summit, they sent me a new one pretty fast, It;s a spring clip that goes in groove on the Threaded bolt to hold it from coming back out. If it breaks, or comes off , you can lose the thumb wheel,

Look at a "hazmore net seat" if you are wanting to sit up higher in your viper. It is also lighter than stock and pushes back out of the way to give you more room when you stand to shoot, just not quite as comfy. I had a razor about 4 years ago, bought new and it didn't have a pin or screw you had to pull. it had an arm that slid up and over a stud to connect the front bar. Have they changed them since then?
    ~ GOD, Family, Country ~
    Hoyt CRX32

Quote Originally Posted by catfishmafia76 View Post
    Look at a "hazmore net seat" if you are wanting to sit up higher in your viper. It is also lighter than stock and pushes back out of the way to give you more room when you stand to shoot, just not quite as comfy. I had a razor about 4 years ago, bought new and it didn't have a pin or screw you had to pull. it had an arm that slid up and over a stud to connect the front bar. Have they changed them since then?

I will check that out, thanks. I believe I got my models mixed up...what I meant to say was "blade", not "razor". I really think I'm going to skip the blade too, though and get one of the new viper elite's when they come out next month. A super-light sit & climb is exactly what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by 8Crow View Post
    I will check that out, thanks. I believe I got my models mixed up...what I meant to say was "blade", not "razor". I really think I'm going to skip the blade too, though and get one of the new viper elite's when they come out next month. A super-light sit & climb is exactly what I'm looking for.
    Does the new elite fold flat?

I just bought the Viper and have been praticing a lot with it. So far I really like it with my bow. This is my first climber, so I dont have anything to compare it to, but I dont have any complaints either.
    Andy - SW MO
    2013 BowTech Experience
    2012 BowTech Assassin
    2011 Bowtech Invasion
    2012 Diamond Atomic (Son's Bow)

cant go wrong with summit. they make good stuff and i have owned one for 20+ years. mine is the old steel one but when its on the tree its sturdy. of all the stands today id still take my API grandslam bowhunter. its just not as bulky as the summit, you might want to try one of those, but you cant be wrong with a summit either.
    Mathews FX, 28.5'' @ 60 lbs GT ProHunters = 268 FPS
    Wasp 85 grain SST Hammers

you're right, you can't sit even with the bar, but you don't need to. You can adjust the seat enough, that when you stand up, the bar is low enough for your bow to clear easily. Then, if you're a gun hunter, you can adjust the seat enough the other way to use the bar as a rest.