Thread: Draw feels longer the more I shoot

Draw feels longer the more I shoot

I'm already shooting a short draw length for my size (25 7/8" and I'm 5'9"). A year ago I started with a 27.5" dl. Shot it for a while but the more I shot the longer it seemed. So little by little I'm shortened it until now. I really can't go any shorter, and don't know if I should. I'm wondering if it's something in my form that's making me feel like this. When I first shortened it to where it is now, it felt wayyyyy too short, but when I got used to it, it was perfect. Now it seems long. I believe that I could take a 20" draw length and after a few weeks it would feel too long. I also notice that my first few shots of the day feel the best. The draw feels nice and tight, but after a little while of shooting, it seems like the dl gets longer and longer. What's the deal???

omg it could be alot of things from string stretching, cam out of time, anchor point changing, release set to long or slipping on you hand....if it happens in a couple shots i would take to the shop and have them watch me shoot a few times maybe they can find the problem.........just my .02

I am new to shooting so I am no expert by any stretch but I noticed the same thing on my brand new bow. I set the length to 27 by the marks on my bow and about a week and 250 shots later I noticed it seemed longer. So I dropped it down another hash mark on my cam and all seems good so far. I believe mine was string stretch on a new bow. I would like to take it somewhere and have it measured to see if it is still 27 inches after the. EQ adjustment. Not sure if it helps but at least you know you are not alone in this issue.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jl3t2q

Thanks guys... But I have eliminated string stretch, cam timing, release too long.. And even anchor point. I like to consider myself an experienced shooter and I have worked out all of those problems already. I can usually figure this stuff out, but not this one. I'm thinking it may have something to do with a weak bow arm. I may be collapsing on the shot after I get tired. Which would make the draw feel longer and throw everything off. I cant tell that I'm doing it, so that may not be it, but it's an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot087 View Post
    Thanks guys... But I have eliminated string stretch, cam timing, release too long.. And even anchor point. I like to consider myself an experienced shooter and I have worked out all of those problems already. I can usually figure this stuff out, but not this one. I'm thinking it may have something to do with a weak bow arm. I may be collapsing on the shot after I get tired. Which would make the draw feel longer and throw everything off. I cant tell that I'm doing it, so that may not be it, but it's an idea.
    In the absence of a coach you can try using a full length mirror to check your form.

TAO
    USA Archery Level 3-NTS Coach

maybe you could drop you draw weight and see if it happens again............

you are 5' 9" how long are your arms , your draw seems really short for your height .
    how much bend is in your bowhand and are you rotating at full draw .
    We the unwilling , led by the unknowing
    are doing the impossible , for the ungrateful
    we have done so much with so little for so long
    that we are qualified to do anything with nothing..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNHxTWOKvgM

A picture at full draw might be worth a thousand words...

send me a pic ill check your form out make it close, clear and shooting a level target.

As you shoot and begin to fatigue, check your bow shoulder.

Most of us start out with it strong & firmly down, but as fatigue sets in, it tends to rise a bit. It's one of the things that I have to constantly monitor or I go back to old bad habits with a high shoulder. With the high shoulder, I don't hold as steady or execute as smoothly.

Also check to see if your stance changes. If you tend to open up your stance or your shoulder a little as you shoot, it will also give you this symptom. If you subscribe to Archery Focus magazine, there is an excellent article by Tom Dorigatti (field14) that discusses the relationship between DL and stance.

Hope this helps,

Allen

I suggest to go to a shop and have them watch you shoot especially when you feel the draw is too long.
    Oak Ridge Archery, Dead Center Archery Products, Gold Tip, Vapor Trail

My guess is that you're hunching over as you get tired.

There seem to be a couple factors at work here but for your height your draw length should be around 28". I'm 5'-7" and my DL is 27". Hope this helps.