Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smoking while hunting

Quote Originally Posted by s_mann7 View Post
    My brother in law smokes while in the stand and takes big deer every year. I like to smoke cigars during hunting season but I have never done it while hunting for obvious reasons. Does anyone else light up in the woods?
    When i was a smoker and slug hunter, I killed two deer with heaters hanging out of my lips. The second one came in straight downwind. I would think the unburnt sweet smell of tobacco would actually attract deer.

Ford 8n Pro Staff
    =============
    Vegetarians...What fun is it to hunt a vegetable! Anyone can sneek up on a carrot!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
    So, are you better off smoking or not smoking? That is the answer to the question.
    Smoking duh!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ford 8n Pro Staff
    =============
    Vegetarians...What fun is it to hunt a vegetable! Anyone can sneek up on a carrot!

Quote Originally Posted by CamoCop View Post
    i've been hunting about 30 years and have no booners because my state has never produced one (in the books anyway). wish i could hunt where the deer get big! also when did i attack him??? i did attack the theory of cigarette smoke not effecting deer movement but that is what this topic is about. i use to smoke when hunting, for about 10 years. i have been smoke free for the last 5 hunting seasons (years) so i like to think i can make a pretty fair comparison between seeing deer in the stand when smoking and not smoking. if you are a smoker, even if you don't smoke in the stand, the smell is still on you and will work against you when hunting. if you are knocking down good bucks while smoking, good for you! just think how much better of a hunter you could be by illiminating an odor that works against you. just don't come on here in an attempt to make people believe cigarette smoke magically attracts deer. c'mon now <shaking head>
    One of the things that makes a good hunter is ones ability to find good hunting spots. You can't possibly kill a wall hanger if you can't find a place to hunt that has a wall hanger. But if one finds a place to hunt with a wall hanger and is able to kill it with a cigarette in his mouth would that make him a better hunter? I would say it does, and would not knock his success.

You did attack him personally when you accused him of patting himself on the back for doing something you are unable to do by your own omission.

that wasn't an accusation. to that point he had made 2 post, in which he repeated his success or trophy taking abilities in each post...and it wasn't an attack once again it was simply an observation made by his repetitive comments. i was simply giving advice that may improve his hunting even more as mine has improved from experience. like i said, no matter how good you are of a hunter, you can't kill them if they're not there (which is my problem being in Florida. in Florida a 100" buck has the same trophy quality as say a 150" buck in the mid west.). why do you feel the need to defend him? there is no reason too, because i am not attacking him.
    2014 Bear Agenda 7
    - Spot Hogg Hogg-It Wrapped 5 Pin Sight
    - Trophy Ridge Revolution 2.0 Rest
    - Trophy Ridge 9" Static Stab /w Doinker QD
    - Trophy Ridge Arrow Cage Quiver

My brother inlaw killed a 170" buck. He had just lit up when it came under his stand. I think it works as a great cover scent! Smokem if ya got em!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
    2013 PSE BOWMADNESS 3G, TRUBALL BOSS X thumb release
    QAD HDX ULTRA REST, NAP APACHE STAB
    72# DW 29" DL, TROPHY RIDGE REACT ONE SIGHT
    28" EASTON DA TORCH 330 arrows
    100 grain broadheads, total arrow weight 370 gr

antismoker cop: As I stated I don smoke never have and don't like it. I also don't like anti anything. The thread was asking does anyone smoke on stand. We all know smoking kills. Happy Easter.

can you count the one's you have lost that you never seen due to the smoke?
    Nope....cant prove a negative.

I have seen more friends (who dont smoke) get busted when a deer comes from down wind so my thinking is that I dont expect anything from down wind. I have had deer come into a cigarette via curiosity from the down wind side, so maybe I wouldn't have seen those deer had I not been masking my own smell with a smoke.

Don't ask me!....all I am saying is that I get all the deer I hunt for because I dont hunt them with the wind at my back. So if the winds in my face and the deer is in front of me, I dont see how a smoke could cost anyone a deer.

good job, resort to name calling. are you 5?

Salbo1 if you felt in any way that i was personally "attacking" you, i wasn't trying to. i just get a little passionate about hunting and want to help anyone that wants help. alot of people give advice on here about things they have heard from someone else with no first hand knowledge. this is one issue i have plenty of first hand knowledge on. the wind is the most important factor when it comes to scent control. if a deer is approaching from up wind you could smoke, wear perfume, fart, etc. all at once and they won't spook so as long as you aren't seen. it's the deer that approach from down wind that are going to bust you on scent control. you may see the same amount of deer upwind of you while you smoke or not but there is no way you will see the same amount of deer approaching from down wind. maybe ya'll hunt area's where deer can't approach from down wind, i don't know. here in the swamps of Florida, deer will come in from all different directions and most of the terrain is thick. so the wind isn't real bad. which means your scent stays around longer in your immediate hunting area. also the deer are alot more nervous and spookier down here than most places. i'm not here to make enemies, so if i have ticked off anyone...i'm sorry. i'll hunt with anyone, so as long as you don't smoke in your stand...LOL
    2014 Bear Agenda 7

Deer are curious animals... I think it would be the same effect as using vanilla as a cover scent. Jmo.
    100% certified Beak Freak...

vanilla is a scent not associated with humans. i have always heard good things about using vanilla as a cover scent so i tried it a couple times this year with no success. not saying it doesn't work by no means. just saying it didn't seem to work for me on the handful of times i tried it. i find the most effective way for me to hunt is what i call low impact hunting. i try not to leave any odor. 99% of the time i don't use any attractant scent or cover scent. i wash before hunting with scent free soap and shampoo. i wash my hunting clothes in scent free laundry detergent and lastly use scent eliminator spray. think about it, we pattern deer all spring, summer and fall by watching for their natural undisturbed movement. then we set up at possible ambush points to maximize our chances of getting deer close. if deer walk these places day in and day out smelling nothing but the natural forest and one day they are walking in and smell something they have never smelled before in that spot. they may not spook off but they will sense something is not right and be on alert. my goal is to try and keep that from happening. if you are successful hunting your own way, keep it up. however, i strive to be better each year and learn from my mistakes. i don't like to settle when it comes to hunting.
    2014 Bear Agenda 7

Nothing worse than a reformed smoker or a reformed drinker.
    USUALLY THE HUNTERS THAT WERE NEVER ANY GOOD AT HUNTING WILL SHOOT A SPIKE.they just dont know any better and never will amount to anything .......sproulman
    I think meat hunters is another name for "Bad Hunter" or "Low Patience Hunter"....grfox
    Meat hunter=Don't have time/and or patience to hold out for mature buck.....173BC

My opinion... if you smoke, considering what is known about the risk's...your ignorant....if you smoke in a stand your ignorant.... my opinion ...... smoking suck's ....Period...
    Liberalism is a mental disorder

I had an aunt that smoked camel non filters her whole life, she lived to be 98. Some people can handle it, some cant! Always glad to see the surgeon general pop in! Lol

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
    2013 PSE BOWMADNESS 3G, TRUBALL BOSS X thumb release
    QAD HDX ULTRA REST, NAP APACHE STAB
    72# DW 29" DL, TROPHY RIDGE REACT ONE SIGHT
    28" EASTON DA TORCH 330 arrows
    100 grain broadheads, total arrow weight 370 gr

If your smoking and want to quit or try a better alternative try going to electronic cigs. The smoke is just vapor. Like seeing your breath when its cold. They have come a long way in 4 years that I have been using them and off cigarettes from day one!! I VAPE all day long and never hack anymore and have had zero problems. Plus it is so easy when hunting. No lighting and very convenient. Right now as I'm writing this I'm smoking strawberry Just go to the ecig forums to find out the best set up!

since it never fails when you light up you see deer, maybe you should sell some of your magical cigarettes as deer attractors. since it's not a coincidence and it never fails, you could make a good living selling your new deer attractor.
    I dont know about the "Magical cigarettes" you speak of, but I get mine down at the local gas station.... they'll even sell you some if your over 18, they're called Pall-Mall ultra lights.
    55#/28.5"/Blacked out D340/Blk Octane hunter/LD Pro/Blk Tight Spot/Axcel Pro 5pin/ Axis 340s/Steelhead 125s = Deadly
    "Why we hunt is more important than when, where, or how" - Gene Wensel
    2014-15 AT deer contest Team Tall Tines

Quote Originally Posted by ILLbucknut View Post
    The 5 deer on my wall (4 P&Y) did'nt seem to mind my smoke, set my smoke in the Y of the tree, shot the buck, finished my smoke with 2 of the P&Ys.

I hunt for the enjoyment, I enjoy a smoke now and then. I have been using electric smokes later this year when hunting and had the worst hunting seasons in the last 5 yrs.

Have I ran deer off without ever seeing them.... maybe...the only ones that know are the deer, not non-smokers on here swearing the deer run from it. Seems kinda wierdthat if I'm not seeing anything all I have to do is light up and sure enough here come a few deer, never fails. I would be willing to bet I have spooked more deer from movement while smoking more than the smell.
    While you were smoking and killing those 5 deer you are also slowing killing yourself. Smoking is equal to shooting a deer in the guts. While, in your opinion, those deer did not mind, I gaurantee those whom you smoke around sure do.

If I remember correctly I believe that three pages ago this thread was about whether or not smoking in the stand affects your chances or harvesting a deer. Now it has turned into a lecture about how smoking is bad for you. Do people really think that people who smoke are not aware of the potential health hazards involved? Of course they are and they are also grown adults who do not need to hear about how they need to quit or risk the consequences. Let's stick to the topic as it was stated. As a smoker this was my experience. This year I decided to stop smoking in the stand. I am a scent freak and it always seemed some what ironic that I would go through the inconvenient steps i do only to smoke afterwards. I saw more deer than ever. Three quarters of the way through the season I fell off the wagon and started lighting up. My deer sightings decreased noticeably. Long story short next year I will not be smoking in the stand and am currently working on quitting all together. Now this is my experience and I do play the wind aswell as practice scent control. I have my stands set for very specific wind situations and only hunt them on the best possible days. I believe using the wind is the number one tactic you can use but everything else you can do to control you scent footprint on a area can only do more good than harm.
    Lethal Injection Archery

My dad does and the deer never care
    LOADING...PLEASE WAIT...

I think alot has to do with the deer population in the area that you hunt. My father in law and his brother have always smoked while hunted, always get bucks, very rarely anything bigger than a fork. The only deer I shot, I had a smoke in my mouth. It was a yearling. Deer in my area are pretty scarce these days. I'm sure their survival instincts tell them to stay away from any threats, including humans. The biggest factor IMO, is what a hunter's purpose in the woods is. If they are out because they enjoy being out there, smoking is not going to take away from the experience; especially if they enjoy smoking. I did. If they're a meat hunter, it may limit them to less deer. It may limit them to more deer. Until we locate that deer whisperer who interviews the deer to tell us they can see UV, smell cigarettes, are turned on by doe in estruous, or fooled by camo and scent blocker, we will never know how it affects them. One thing can be probable. A hunter will severely limit his/her chances at a trophy buck if they smoke; especially in an area with low deer populations and/or light human activity.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Camocop, It's time to get off that high horse. From one former smoker to another, you need to light one up and be done with it. Quitting has clearly made you withdrawn and irratable. We all know smoking is horrible for health. Please let them kill themselves in peace. It's their choice. Please stop with the preaching. Please do not quote me and continue to hack the thread. If you or anyone else wants an intelligent debate, either PM me, or start another thread.

Orange County, People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    Quote Originally Posted by s_mann7 View Post
    My brother in law smokes while in the stand and takes big deer every year. I like to smoke cigars during hunting season but I have never done it while hunting for obvious reasons. Does anyone else light up in the woods?
    I only smoke in the field when I'm hunting with a muzzleloader.
    ’11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8” Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver
    The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Smoking is Disgusting,But each to there own,I am a Non Smoker and dont like when someone lights up a Cigarette and stands near me.I Dont want 2nd Hand Smoke.If you want to Kill yourself so be it.And if anybody blew smoke in my face,They would be Swallowing there Chiclets pretty Quick.
    "I met him fifteen years ago. I was told there was nothing left. No reason,no,uh,conscience,no understanding and even the most rudimentary sense of life or death,of good or evil,right or wrong. I met this six year old child with this blank,pale,emotionless face,and the blackest eyes,the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach him and then another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized that what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply evil"...

I am pretty sure if they can smell the smoke they can smell you. I am also pretty sure that they bust out because of you not the smoke. I really doubt they would smell you and not leave if you werent smoking. Seems pretty obvious to me. I wouldnt blame it on the smoke but your scent that spooks them.

Deer like the smell of herb burning......so I am told!!!!
    Proudly KILLING whitetail deer...trail camera free, without scent containment clothing and with the use of mechanical broad heads since 1993!!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/buckchasers?ref=hl
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    I'm going to Africa this year, and I want to kill one. Just because I can, and I get off on killing things.

i don't smoke, I vape! E-cigs are where its at.

Quote Originally Posted by QS34Reaper View Post
    Deer like the smell of herb burning......so I am told!!!!
    this is true
    100% certified Beak Freak...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast