Catch and Release

Or

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333838290.765327.jpg

Dinner Guests.

Here's my first of the season,
    17" Brownie Hen.
    My other bow is a Marlin 1895G 45-70 Gov't open sights
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiobooners View Post
    In all seriousness I do hope ppl understand that a deer is not worth losing your dignity over.

Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Cool deal, Its still opening week in Pa and ive done pretty good. Nailed a nice 20" Pali opening day and put him back. I usually dont keep many I just like the catching

Quote Originally Posted by pabuckslayer08 View Post
    Cool deal, Its still opening week in Pa and ive done pretty good. Nailed a nice 20" Pali opening day and put him back. I usually dont keep many I just like the catching
    ?Pali? Pics?

I do catch n' release mostly, but a few times a year I go for blood.
    In all seriousness I do hope ppl understand that a deer is not worth losing your dignity over.

Nice trout... I eat them .. catch and release into my belly..
    Staff shooter for: http://www.60xcustomstrings.com/
    2012 Hoyt Vector 32, 2013 Elite Answer, 2007 Bowtech Allegiance
    Black Eagle Arrows Field Staff & T.R.U. Ball release Field Staff

Quote Originally Posted by shooter6687 View Post
    Nice trout... I eat them .. catch and release into my belly..
    Thanx, he uh I mean she was tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortyneck View Post
    ?Pali? Pics?

I do catch n' release mostly, but a few times a year I go for blood.
    I snapped a crappy cell pic but my phones so ancient it doesnt do the whole interent thing. I really think im going to start carrying my digital camera though to get some good pics while out fishing. This isnt the pali but ill share her anyway 018.jpg

I snapped a crappy cell pic but my phones so ancient it doesnt do the whole interent thing. I really think im going to start carrying my digital camera though to get some good pics while out fishing. This isnt the pali but ill share her anyway 018.jpg
    That a fat one, very nice, nice shoulders.

But what I'm trying to figure out is what a Pali is.

Golden Trout or Palimeno (sp)

This is one from about 3 years ago that I have on my computer. I kept this one cause it was my first big one and I actually got a replica mount of it. Just shy of 19 inch008.jpg

This is one from about 3 years ago that I have on my computer. I kept this one cause it was my first big one and I actually got a replica mount of it. Just shy of 19 inch
    Aha! Just did a little research on the palomino "golden" rainbow trout, I've never caught one, never even really heard about them. Which is surprising considering the amount of time and gas I've spent chasing trout, then again I never fished PA.

Do they stock the "tiger" trout hybrids by you too? Never caught one of those either.

They stock very few but yes they do stock a few. Ive never caught one but I was voluntering at a Sr Citizens fishing derby and the old man I was helping out caught a 18" Tiger trout. Didnt get any pics of it but was a beautiful fish. Next on my list is going after the cutthroats. Maybe someday I can take a several week trip and hit the west for cuttroat, west coast for steelhead, and maybe Alaska for some giant browns and salmon

They stock very few but yes they do stock a few. Ive never caught one but I was voluntering at a Sr Citizens fishing derby and the old man I was helping out caught a 18" Tiger trout. Didnt get any pics of it but was a beautiful fish. Next on my list is going after the cutthroats. Maybe someday I can take a several week trip and hit the west for cuttroat, west coast for steelhead, and maybe Alaska for some giant browns and salmon
    Montana is a good place too.

"Zero Limit; Catch and Release" Here's one that measured up to 18 inches, caught him 2(?) weeks ago. Not mountable quality, but hoping to play with him again next month

Quote Originally Posted by Turokman123 View Post

Very nice. I like your lure choice, looks like a black on yellow Panther Martin with brass blade. Perfect baby brown imitation.

Here's one a buddy sent me tonight of his first trout of the season, nice bow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334203170.977197.jpg

I took my 6 year old little brother out today and he caught a 3 pound rainbow. The best part is that this lake is not known for fish like that. Most fish in the lake are half pound planters. It was awesome watching him reel it in. We kept it because I don't think that there was any way I could convince him to let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinFoolUtah View Post
    I took my 6 year old little brother out today and he caught a 3 pound rainbow. The best part is that this lake is not known for fish like that. Most fish in the lake are half pound planters. It was awesome watching him reel it in. We kept it because I don't think that there was any way I could convince him to let it go.
    That is awesome. Any pics?

Ohio in the fall/ PA the rest of the year
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortyneck View Post
    Very nice. I like your lure choice, looks like a black on yellow Panther Martin with brass blade. Perfect baby brown imitation.

I could be wrong but I think its a Rooster tail

And if I might add, probably one of, if not the best color combo for trout in streams. Every year I buy three rooster tails in the 1/8th oz size, either the black and yellow spot (or the bumble bee, the bumble bee seems to edge out the spotted one slightly), white with gray spots, and the black with rainbow metallic flakes. White or black/yellow when its sunny, black for early morning, dusk or an overcast day.

@ pabuckslayer08

Thats one hell of a bow brotha! I bet that was one epic battle if hooked in a stream.
    And congrats on the pali! They are fairly frequent in my local waters, but they are known as the uncatch-able trout around here. They are always stockfish and nearly impossible to catch, wont take live bait, powerbait, spinners, or any plug lures. Ive literally dropped every thing you could think of in front of them before and never even had one look twice at anything.

If you get the chance I would deff make a stop in Montana, the cutthroats may not be very big, may not fight like the bows or especially browns you're used to here on the east coast, But you will never ever lay eyes on a more beautiful trout/salmon. (unless you happen to catch a natural male brook) Truely a work of art!
    And Alaska is a must
    You will either fill the boat with fish, or get tired of fishing long before they stop biting if you time it perfect with their runs. Silvers and kings will wear your arm out real fast! And if your lucky you might even hook a grayling or two. They are another one of natures beauties, and another great sportfish to check off the list.
    WARNING:
    1.- I am not associated with any company, product or personality.
    2.- I am not sponsored; nor a fanboy.
    3.- I do not harvest, I kill tasty animals and I eat them on a regular basis.

Nice fish guys, our season opens in about 6 hours.

Ohio in the fall/ PA the rest of the year
    Quote Originally Posted by rhodeislandhntr View Post
    Best of luck when you get to hit the water! I wont be able to get out till Monday. Its going to be a long, long two days.
    WARNING:
    1.- I am not associated with any company, product or personality.
    2.- I am not sponsored; nor a fanboy.
    3.- I do not harvest, I kill tasty animals and I eat them on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by smokin x's View Post

And if I might add, probably one of, if not the best color combo for trout in streams. Every year I buy three rooster tails in the 1/8th oz size, either the black and yellow spot (or the bumble bee, the bumble bee seems to edge out the spotted one slightly), white with gray spots, and the black with rainbow metallic flakes. White or black/yellow when its sunny, black for early morning, dusk or an overcast day.

@ pabuckslayer08

Thats one hell of a bow brotha! I bet that was one epic battle if hooked in a stream.
    And congrats on the pali! They are fairly frequent in my local waters, but they are known as the uncatch-able trout around here. They are always stockfish and nearly impossible to catch, wont take live bait, powerbait, spinners, or any plug lures. Ive literally dropped every thing you could think of in front of them before and never even had one look twice at anything.

If you get the chance I would deff make a stop in Montana, the cutthroats may not be very big, may not fight like the bows or especially browns you're used to here on the east coast, But you will never ever lay eyes on a more beautiful trout/salmon. (unless you happen to catch a natural male brook) Truely a work of art!
    And Alaska is a must
    You will either fill the boat with fish, or get tired of fishing long before they stop biting if you time it perfect with their runs. Silvers and kings will wear your arm out real fast! And if your lucky you might even hook a grayling or two. They are another one of natures beauties, and another great sportfish to check off the list.
    Heres a secret on the catching the goldens. White wonder bread is a must. I carry 4 slices at all times and start chumbing him and put on a size 18 hook usually with 2lb test and 1 super small split shot and usually they will nail it everytime. Yes I dont even have a AK trip planned or anything and Im still getting gear just for that day. So far I have a 7'6" ML St Croix with a 2500 Shimano reel with 10lb on it and a 8'6" St Croix L action with 6lb test on it. I figure I may not be able to land a 40 pounder on those setups but Id rather break a few off then not have them biting. I really like my light line as you can see from the 2lb trout line. Every once in a blue moon I even try 1lb tippet

You know you could be right about that, let's hope that Turokman chimes in and settles this.

Nice tips.

If you find the right spots those cuts get pretty big too. x2 on brookies.

And Alaska is a must
    Sounds great, but if I have to drive through Montana to get there, I'll never make it.

Quote Originally Posted by rhodeislandhntr View Post
    Hope you gave em heck. I expect a full pictorial account.

Best of luck when you get to hit the water! I wont be able to get out till Monday. Its going to be a long, long two days.
    and that goes double for you.

Heres a secret on the catching the goldens. White wonder bread is a must. I carry 4 slices at all times and start chumbing him and put on a size 18 hook usually with 2lb test and 1 super small split shot and usually they will nail it everytime. Yes I dont even have a AK trip planned or anything and Im still getting gear just for that day. So far I have a 7'6" ML St Croix with a 2500 Shimano reel with 10lb on it and a 8'6" St Croix L action with 6lb test on it. I figure I may not be able to land a 40 pounder on those setups but Id rather break a few off then not have them biting. I really like my light line as you can see from the 2lb trout line. Every once in a blue moon I even try 1lb tippet
    Yeah, 6x or 7x is the lightest I'll go only when I'm flyfishing, only if the trout get fussy.

It would be a Rooster Tail but that is the first cast with it. I caught 3 previous fish with a B&Y Panther the same day

And my personal best 4 years ago 22" 2 lbs. This was caught on a Black and White Rooster. Never had a hit on it before, this was lucky. asdfasdfasdf.jpg

It would be a Rooster Tail but that is the first cast with it. I caught 3 previous fish with a B&Y Panther the same day
    Good call, smokin x's.

Turokman, those are 2 great browns, they are kind of my favorite to go for. There are trout that are prettier, trout that fight better, and trout that are rarer, maybe it's just their personality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast