Thread: seek advice on form, have videos

seek advice on form, have videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN8D7OpJQk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7U_...Y5lqA1_4tR3D8=

any words of advice, kind or not will be appreciated....except my need for a belt/ better fitting shirt haha

im not sure if im getting that "back tension"

and my "point of aim" is the right edge of paper, at the bottom of the hay bale.

Quote Originally Posted by Jump from plane View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN8D7OpJQk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7U_...Y5lqA1_4tR3D8=

any words of advice, kind or not will be appreciated....except my need for a belt/ better fitting shirt haha

im not sure if im getting that "back tension"

and my "point of aim" is the right edge of paper, at the bottom of the hay bale.
    All in all...I see you're beginning to develop a good foundation to work with. Your alignment looks pretty good.

A few of the shots I did notice a slight colapse before the release.

I can also see that your stregth hasn't quite matured yet with your technique. It looks just a little shakey...but your strength and the solidification of your form will come in time.

What are you specific archery goals?

I'm a little confused about your Point of Aim. Is it on the right edge of the paper of the target you are shooting at...or is it at the bootom of the bale?

Are you right or left eye dominant?

Ray

i would like to eventually get into bow hunting, but i do feel shakey sometimes when i shoot. and what i meant was its that if your traced a line on the right edge of the paper to the bottom of the bale. thats where im aiming.

and im left eye, right handed. i try to keep both eyes open, and just learn the sight picture with them both open

i would like to eventually get into bow hunting, but i do feel shakey sometimes when i shoot. and what i meant was its that if your traced a line on the right edge of the paper to the bottom of the bale. thats where im aiming.

and im left eye, right handed. i try to keep both eyes open, and just learn the sight picture with them both open
    Being left eye dominant and shooting right handed can make the learning of the aiming process harder...but it can be done.

Here are some options:

Have you tried shooting left handed?

You also might try learning to gap of your sight window...especially since your shooting your bow vertical and your Point of Aim at the distance you are shooting is very low.

You can start off by placing some markers on the sight window for reference as in the picture I attached to help you learn your gaps and once you feel like your getting it....take the tape off and see how well your recognize the correct sight picture for a specific distance.

Do you workout? Does that seem like something you would be interested in?

Ray
    Attached Images Attached Images

I tried shooting lefty when I got lessons before I bought my bow. But right handed was much more comfortable/consistent/stable.
    And I like that tape idea. Primitive sight haha.

But I do workout. A lot. But I do so much cardio and have a naturally high metabolism that i don't gain mass too easily.
    My "archery" workout is my school gym has a seated row machine that puts weight on each arm.
    So I do 6-8 reps with 90# Om each arm( do that twice) two sets of 20 with 70#, one set of 50 with 45#. And i do that once or twice a week.

I tried shooting lefty when I got lessons before I bought my bow. But right handed was much more comfortable/consistent/stable.
    How much time did you give to trying to shoot left handed? Was it a couple of hours, a couple of days...a week?

But I do workout. A lot. But I do so much cardio and have a naturally high metabolism that i don't gain mass too easily.

That can explain alot. I had a high metabolism to when I was in school...and you either have to supplement your calories...or eat a heck of a lot more

So I do 6-8 reps with 90# Om each arm( do that twice) two sets of 20 with 70#, one set of 50 with 45#. And i do that once or twice a week.
    I would suggest picking a weight you can max out at 10 reps with and do 5 sets for each exercise....such as squats, bench press, pull downs/pull ups, rows and deadlifts.

Basically speaking....keeping the weight heavy but not to heavy and the reps low will help you gain strength and mass.

Ray

I gave it a few hours shooting lefty( a day of shooting)

And I would like to supplement my workouts because I cant really eat much more. But the cost/time to get supplements is difficult with my schedule.
    And I do a lot more than just the exercise I staided before. But thats my "archery" workout haha. I workout with a competitve power lifter every day. But I'm also working out with the army, which is 90% running ssssooooooo negates all lifting haha. But I'm not as weak as I appear in the video :P

But I'm not as weak as I appear in the video :P
    I hope you don't think that I thought you were weak. In many cases....especially with new archers...the shakeyness is often caused by just trying to get the muscles to cooporate and fire properly and work together to perform the task. It's really no different than someone learning a new dance move or learning a new movement that involves balance.

I have no doubt that you will be looking solid and strong while shooting your bow soon.

Ray

What's the best way to gap the tape like in your picture? Is it just trial and error as you walk distances back?

What's the best way to gap the tape like in your picture? Is it just trial and error as you walk distances back?
    Basically...yes...it's a little trial and error until you find what works best for you.

Generally speaking...the easiest was to gap is to get your aiming reference as close to being on target as you can for a specific distance...which is why it's easier to shoot the same hand as your dominant eye because you can at least get the arrow to disect the vertical line through the target while aiming.

It's also why many archers experiment with going to 3 Under and using a higher anchor.

Ray