Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57

Thread: Best glue for inserts

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    995

    Best glue for inserts

    What is the best glue for inserts on carbon arrows has anyone ever tried insert iron from bohning archery i am sure this has been beat to death but here we go again.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,311
    I'd like to know as well
    '10 bowtech admiral flx, 72#, 29.5" draw, 31" ata, ripcord rest, Gold tip pro hunter 7595's
    2010 ninja GT500, 29.5/60, Easton flatline 400's, ripcord rest, HHA OL5519, doinker stabilizer. 3d rig

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sheffield, Tx.
    Posts
    1,061
    Gorilla Super Glue. Great for vanes as well.
    But God proves His own love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us. Rom 5:8

  4. #4
    I tried it and it did not hold all my inserts. I am big on preparation and thoroughly prepped my shafts. After much trial and error nothing beats loc-tite super control gel (which is impact resistant) for both vanes and inserts! You have to clean and prep well, apply it and spin it into the shaft (spreading the glue) and pushing it in as controllable and fast as possible because it sets quick. I have also had to remove inserts with the loc-tite and a heat gun did the trick with no problem. So my absolute recommendation is this $3 dollar superior product over $15 products with fancy labels.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Independence, KS
    Posts
    2,401
    I have been using the cool flex from bohning and it has been working extremely well.

    Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
    Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
    Bamabows Elite Classic 64" 50@28

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bedford Va
    Posts
    7,406
    Hands down the best glue for inserts in low temp hot melt glue .Plus you can get about 20 sticks for a couple bucks .I heat the stick up and rub it on the insert ,than I hold the insert in my hand and heat it up again and twist and shove it in the shaft .I hold it in my hand to keep from over heating it .
    Wild Turkey Ridge & Twin Oaks ( Both gone but not forgotten )
    TRU Ball Staff
    All black Chill X : )
    All black Chill X

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,188
    Try to go to a train store or a table top game/hobby store and find zap-a-gap medium ca+. The stuff is quite a bit stronger than gorilla glue. Gorilla glue is pretty good stuff though.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    3,563
    I've been using inset iron for about four years and never had one slip. It's great stuff if you know what your doing.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,508
    So what is best if you want to be able to remove the insert? Hot glue? Loc tite? I've lost inserts ( and broadheads) into foam targets because factory installed crossbow bolt inserts came undone. I've used 2 part epoxies which is permanent. But I want to be able to remove my inserts from my Trad arrows.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,533
    hot melt

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,073
    Quote Originally Posted by John-in-VA View Post
    Hands down the best glue for inserts in low temp hot melt glue .Plus you can get about 20 sticks for a couple bucks .I heat the stick up and rub it on the insert ,than I hold the insert in my hand and heat it up again and twist and shove it in the shaft .I hold it in my hand to keep from over heating it .
    Yuuuuuuppp!

    If you have cash to burn use supper glue of some form of that. If you want to be able to re use your nibs, inserts and nock inserts then use hot melt glue. It works all day long then when you want to remove something simply apply heat and it comes out.

    Break an arrow? Bring it home for parts. Get dirt in an insert and the broad head doesnt thread as well as you would like pull it out.

    If you have to replace a nock but the knock is so butted you cant get pliers on it you can remove the knock insert and push it out.

    Super Glue an arrow and it is a one and done arrow. Use hot melt and you can re use inserts, NIBS and nock inserts. @ $15 a bag for each you can save yourself $45.00
    2009 Katera XL
    She's a shooter

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada
    Posts
    719
    Loctite Super glue....



  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Liverpool, PA
    Posts
    4,545
    Hot melt. I have never lost an insert using the cheap craft hot melt sticks.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    UP of Michigan
    Posts
    4,331
    Quote Originally Posted by John-in-VA View Post
    Hands down the best glue for inserts in low temp hot melt glue .Plus you can get about 20 sticks for a couple bucks .I heat the stick up and rub it on the insert ,than I hold the insert in my hand and heat it up again and twist and shove it in the shaft .I hold it in my hand to keep from over heating it .
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleOnMyHead View Post
    Yuuuuuuppp!

    If you have cash to burn use supper glue of some form of that. If you want to be able to re use your nibs, inserts and nock inserts then use hot melt glue. It works all day long then when you want to remove something simply apply heat and it comes out.

    Break an arrow? Bring it home for parts. Get dirt in an insert and the broad head doesnt thread as well as you would like pull it out.

    If you have to replace a nock but the knock is so butted you cant get pliers on it you can remove the knock insert and push it out.

    Super Glue an arrow and it is a one and done arrow. Use hot melt and you can re use inserts, NIBS and nock inserts. @ $15 a bag for each you can save yourself $45.00
    ^^^^^

    The Wal-Mart glue is as strong as the stuff Easton sells in my unscientific testing, plus, like John-in-VA said above, 30 sticks for about $2.49.

    I've used it exclusively for all arrow work (except Locktite gell for vanes) for a couple of years now and love it.

    Pull a target point by setting the tip of the arrow into a pan of boiling water for 5 seconds or so and just whip it twords the floor. Point comes right out.
    You young people will never know the satisfaction of slamming down a receiver on a rotary phone

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    3,563
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanDeerSlayer View Post
    So what is best if you want to be able to remove the insert? Hot glue? Loc tite? I've lost inserts ( and broadheads) into foam targets because factory installed crossbow bolt inserts came undone. I've used 2 part epoxies which is permanent. But I want to be able to remove my inserts from my Trad arrows.
    If you want to remove them use the blue low temp hot melt.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    troutman.nc
    Posts
    328
    I use bob smith super glue for vanes and we started useing the blue low temp hot melt for points and inserts.
    09 z28 ap
    09 gt 500 ap
    12answer max1
    all 27.5"

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    5,638
    I am experimenting with Gorilla Glue, not the super glue stuff. I will let you know if it works for me. $4.99 a bottle, should do inserts for a long long time, if it works!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,146
    Interesting so how do you guys install hot melt?....not with a glue gun right? And how do you remove the inserts without damaging the carbon?
    Mathews Heli-M Tactical~#65+28in.=275 fps(415grn Goldtip 7595)
    Mathews Monster 7~#60+28in.=280 fps(415grn Goldtip 7595)
    QAD/ Trijicon Accupin/B-Stinger/TGB Nocks/ STAN/Goldtip/Slick Tricks
    Trijicon Staff Shooter & Bleed It Outdooors Staff - CHECK US OUT!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYcKFXu9UVs

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Spokane Wa
    Posts
    1,921
    Let me clue you. It works better than anything else I've tried. The only inserts I've lost are the ones I shot into trees. The problem with hot melt is that when it gets warm the bond breaks down. Shooting into targets creates a lot of friction. Need Im say more?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Burnt View Post
    I am experimenting with Gorilla Glue, not the super glue stuff. I will let you know if it works for me. $4.99 a bottle, should do inserts for a long long time, if it works!
    God is good!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Terry, MS
    Posts
    779
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog18 View Post
    I have been using the cool flex from bohning and it has been working extremely well.
    One stick of blue will do
    3 Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.
    Genesis 9:3

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New London, Minnesota, Un
    Posts
    247
    G5 Blu-glu! Best on the market!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Liverpool, PA
    Posts
    4,545
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterManiac7 View Post
    Interesting so how do you guys install hot melt?....not with a glue gun right? And how do you remove the inserts without damaging the carbon?
    I use a butane torch. I heat a tip and then pull it and the insert with pliers. Maybe 2 secs in the flame. The shaft gets warm, but the tip is too hot to touch.

  23. #23
    LocTite Gel... Vanes and inserts.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,073
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterManiac7 View Post
    Interesting so how do you guys install hot melt?....not with a glue gun right? And how do you remove the inserts without damaging the carbon?
    I use my stove. Its easier then a propane torch.

    Depends on the shaft. If it is aluminum I heat the shaft and the stick in the same hand. Then I place the shaft to the side for a second and get the glue lit. I rub the glue around the inside of the shaft and then put the insert in and press. wait 20 seconds and remove the extra.

    If its a carbon shaft I heat the glue and the insert or nib. Use pliers to hold because the insert gets hot fast. Rub the glue all around from top to bottom around the insert...If I am quick then I press it in the arrow. If I am not then I heat the insert with the glue on it then press it in. Have a small pice of wood (2x4) to press on. Your wife will not like you pressing your arrow on her counter top.

    For carbon just boil water and let is sit in the water for 5 minutes to remove.
    2009 Katera XL
    She's a shooter

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Brownwood, TX
    Posts
    389
    Hot melt is beautiful. It's easy to line up your broad heads and vanes using this stuff too. Never lost a head after hundreds of shots.
    Mathews MR7 29" (smoke red) 60#, Bodoodle Pro 5000, Sureloc, CX Linejammer 250's, Truball Little boss, Cartel stab, SWITCHBACK XT 29", 70#, QAD Ultra rest LD, Sword 3rd plane, GT 7595, Scott Shark, Shrewd grip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •