Archery Talk Forum banner

Best glue for inserts

31K views 66 replies 55 participants last post by  Kstigall 
#1 ·
What is the best glue for inserts on carbon arrows has anyone ever tried insert iron from bohning archery i am sure this has been beat to death but here we go again.

#4 ·
I tried it and it did not hold all my inserts. I am big on preparation and thoroughly prepped my shafts. After much trial and error nothing beats loc-tite super control gel (which is impact resistant) for both vanes and inserts! You have to clean and prep well, apply it and spin it into the shaft (spreading the glue) and pushing it in as controllable and fast as possible because it sets quick. I have also had to remove inserts with the loc-tite and a heat gun did the trick with no problem. So my absolute recommendation is this $3 dollar superior product over $15 products with fancy labels.

#6 ·
Hands down the best glue for inserts in low temp hot melt glue .Plus you can get about 20 sticks for a couple bucks .I heat the stick up and rub it on the insert ,than I hold the insert in my hand and heat it up again and twist and shove it in the shaft .I hold it in my hand to keep from over heating it .

#11 ·
Yuuuuuuppp!

If you have cash to burn use supper glue of some form of that. If you want to be able to re use your nibs, inserts and nock inserts then use hot melt glue. It works all day long then when you want to remove something simply apply heat and it comes out.

Break an arrow? Bring it home for parts. Get dirt in an insert and the broad head doesnt thread as well as you would like pull it out.

If you have to replace a nock but the knock is so butted you cant get pliers on it you can remove the knock insert and push it out.

Super Glue an arrow and it is a one and done arrow. Use hot melt and you can re use inserts, NIBS and nock inserts. @ $15 a bag for each you can save yourself $45.00

#9 ·
So what is best if you want to be able to remove the insert? Hot glue? Loc tite? I've lost inserts ( and broadheads) into foam targets because factory installed crossbow bolt inserts came undone. I've used 2 part epoxies which is permanent. But I want to be able to remove my inserts from my Trad arrows.

#19 ·
Let me clue you. It works better than anything else I've tried. The only inserts I've lost are the ones I shot into trees. The problem with hot melt is that when it gets warm the bond breaks down. Shooting into targets creates a lot of friction. Need Im say more?

#25 ·
Hot melt is beautiful. It's easy to line up your broad heads and vanes using this stuff too. Never lost a head after hundreds of shots.

#31 ·
I like the insert iron it works well but you have to give it time to cure. I usally give it 24 hrs. I have tried gorilla super glue and it did not work I ruined 3 vanes I could not get it to dry. I did all the prepping I could do. So I still use fletchtite platinum for vanes.

#32 ·
Low melt "stick" on all glue-in points , Loctite 480 for screw-in inserts .... none of these ever failed me to date .

Gorilla glue and reg. gel loctite break down within few months of shooting - especially if shot at hard targets like new block , blob or wet excelsior bales.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.