a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: My unistrut string jig/stretcher/..........

My unistrut string jig/stretcher/..........

I hope to eventually make this into a bow press by mounting coat hangar blocks over the uprights on this jig. I also think I can make it into a shooting machine, draw board, and arrow flexer. It has taken me awhile. Haven't had any big blocks of time to work on it.

Ignore the crappy welds. My rods were old and dampish, and my side angle grinder has shot craps. It was my dads grinder and about 35 years old. Tried to find the problem and it was just fried inside.

It's not totally finished but here it is...

You weren't kiddin' about the welds. Look almost as bad as mine, and my grinder works. But a nice project. .
    Blessed be the Lord, who daily loads us with benefits...the God of our salvation. Psalms 68:19 KJV Hunt 06 Darton Tempest. Beman Field 340s w' NAP QuickSpins & KillZone, F-85 TFO sight Comp 06 Darton Tempest; Victory X-Ringer, ACC 300s. TrophyTaker rest, Tox' sight. Backup 96 Darton Wrangler w' Rev' Archery cams Muzzy rest, TruGlo TFO Hunting bows Anchor Sight optical "No Peep" T.R.U.Ball Sabretooth 4 finger release.

Hello,
    I'm going to be gentle ,, your welds are not good enough for this project ,, if you are within driving distance of Carroll county
    if you come here i will help you out
    We the unwilling , led by the unknowing
    are doing the impossible , for the ungrateful
    we have done so much with so little for so long
    that we are qualified to do anything with nothing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJZYG5qwHHI

jigs

Hello,

i build jigs and stretchers and if you ever have one come apart
    it will scare the ShXt right out of you i had a string let loose not a weld that gave way under tension ,, on the do all machine you are wanting to build this into the strut does not have the strength to do all
    the task as a base platform .. i have built the machine you are seeking so i can give you some pointers on it as well .
    if interested you can get back with me .
    good luck on your project , you took a idea and made it into metal .
    and thats a good thing
    TS2

We the unwilling , led by the unknowing
    are doing the impossible , for the ungrateful
    we have done so much with so little for so long
    that we are qualified to do anything with nothing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJZYG5qwHHI

Yep they look like crap, but they will hold. Being a farmer I have built alot out of metal, and repaired a lot of things that break. Disk frames, truck frames, bale trailers. I even made a new frame from scratch for my 1984 toyota pickup, and a flatbed for it. Toward the end of this project I discovered where I had some good rod and those welds came out sweet.

The welds do look like crap, but they will hold more than the string will take. Down the road I may redo or make another one. Won't take a 1/4th the time doing a second one.

Took me quite a while to get my welder set up to the correct amperage. I had a strange thing happen in my shop a year or so ago. I thought my welder had shot craps, well after disassembling it and doing a lot of volt meter testing, I finally traced it back to the breaker box. Now get this... just by chance everything in my shop worked except the welder. I had installed breakers in the box and they all ended up on the same leg.....except the double breaker for the welder. The double breaker for the welder checked out fine. But, the main breaker for the whole box was only supplying current for one leg in the box. The other leg was totally dead. As near as I could tell the main breaker was full of those japanese beetles that look like lady bugs. Never could get it cleaned out to where it would work again, so I was out $50 for a new main breaker.

What I also now wonder is if those beetles could have been acting like a resister and lowering my amperage in my welder. Reason I wonder this is that I hade been welding up gates with this same metal as this jig is made out of, at about 85 amps. Before I thought my welder had shot craps I had thought it was getting weak and requiring more amps(which didn't seem logically possible at the time). This is the first project I have done on light steel since I installed the new breaker...I had to get down around 52 this time to keep from burning large holes in it.

I know I will have to hook the strut to something solid to take the pressure, and it may be couple months before I get to use it. Right now I am calving, and getting planters ready to plant, and 1000 other things that have to be done in the next 6 weeks. I also am a full time 7-12 math teacher so I am burning the candle at both ends.

Just a question or concern, I also have my jig and stretcher with the Uni Strut and stretch to 300 lbs, the strut is bolted to a solid 2X6 and I still get a big bend in the plank and strut, with out the plank I am sure the strut really bend. Another question, I just built a string at 104 inches adn I was at the very ends of my 10" strut, how long can you go with your screw setup? PS, I also had a sting come off an it did scare the P _ _ _ out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeMont View Post
    Just a question or concern, I also have my jig and stretcher with the Uni Strut and stretch to 300 lbs, the strut is bolted to a solid 2X6 and I still get a big bend in the plank and strut, with out the plank I am sure the strut really bend. Another question, I just built a string at 104 inches adn I was at the very ends of my 10" strut, how long can you go with your screw setup? PS, I also had a sting come off an it did scare the P _ _ _ out of me.
    Do you have it bolted to the edge of the 2x6, or on the wide side? I know that several guys on here have theirs clamped down to a solid bench. They can also increase the length by adding another piece of strut to thier bench. I haven't checked the overall length yet but I am betting it will go to around 108-112".

Thanks for all of the comments. When I get some time I want to get better pictures and show how I made the sliding end of the jig. I didn't want to "steal" one of my wifes cutting boards so I thought about using a section or two cut out of the side of a five gallon bucket. Instead I used a piece of an old cattle feed trough liner that was busted up. It is about twice the thickness of the five gallon bucket and flat instead of curved.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeMont View Post
    Just did a little thinking and figured out how to make this strut make a string close to 120".( 118ish anyway)

Since all of this clamps to the strut, the end where the crank or wheel normally is could be inserted first into the center of the strut and the sliding tower could then be put in last. The posts could also be moved closer to the ends and placed in the strut so that they were near the very ends of the strut. The part of the tower with the stretcher hooks might need to be cut a little shorter with this design......or you could even weld a cap onto the top of the square tubing and have a very short post on top of it.(no need for a long post. This would put the post and stretcher on the same upright.

Your lead to your stinger could be fried a little bit causing it to run colder than normal also I'm guessing its a Lincoln buzz box based on the welds and 6010 rods are the only thing that wana work for em nice design though I like it!
    Big Buck Down!