Thread: Laced Up My Bushmen Longbow Tonight! (PIX)

Cool Laced Up My Bushmen Longbow Tonight! (PIX)

Was getting discouraged with the grip on my bushmen longbow as what once felt great?...became a pivotal point of inconsistant results for me..and even though the grip has beautifully sculpted in finger grooves?..there's this hump like mid palm just was just a tad too exagerated for my hand..so today?...i called the bowyer..asked him what it would take to work that grip down to less of a hump in the middle and broaden it out..he was very obliging...told me it would be less than $100 and he could do it for me this weekend and that i would hafta be there for him to do the custom fitting...but...he also mentioned that because it's one of his top shelf/high gloss bows?..that i'd hafta leave it with him to complete the finish work..cause he put on like 12-15 coats of clear epoxy..and he didn't sound real happy..so?..i got to thinking..and stopped by the arts and crafts joint on the way home and?...

I punched the lacing holes in at the bottom of the finger groove locations so that they would cinch up and retain the sculpted finger grooves..

and it worked out great!

the lacing registers on my fingers great as well with an ultra repeatable grip position as the close-out knot registers right against bottom of my pinky and the web between my thumb and index finger registers right acros the top hemmed rolled edge and?..

doubling up the leather in the throat greatly reduced the pivoting hump deal!

I think my bowyer can relax this weekend cause...i love the new grip..pretty proud of myself for my first crack at leatherwork and?..only $24 and change!
    "A person voicing their opinion on the net is often times an admission of character."
    BLACK WIDOW PSA II TD RECURVE 62"/43# @28"
    1975 HERTERS PERFECTION MAGNUM RECURVE 60"/44# @ 28"
    BUSHMEN "AMERICAN NATIVE" R/D LONGBOW 64"/37# @ 28"

there goes the pretty wood.

Pretty is as pretty does. It does hide the nice wood but if the grip doesn't work what good is pretty wood. Nice DIY fix...

Quote Originally Posted by Kayo View Post
    there goes the pretty wood.
    Ah...there's plenty of pretty wood left exposed...besides..the leather onyx covers up what my hand does anyways..and?...what goods a pretty girl if she dont...well...you know...but those hot chicks in leather? LOL!
    "A person voicing their opinion on the net is often times an admission of character."

as long as it shoots good

Do what feels right and if it helps your feel and accuracy, its the right thing to go with.....
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

Quote Originally Posted by Easykeeper View Post
    Pretty is as pretty does. It does hide the nice wood but if the grip doesn't work what good is pretty wood. Nice DIY fix...
    Thanks EasyKeeper and like i said...it ain't hiding anything my hand wouldn't be covering up anyways and frankly?..i prefer the looks..but more importantly?...i'm actually quite taken by the increase of what design engineers call "The 3 F's"...

FIT, FORM & FUNCTION!

Quote Originally Posted by Kayo View Post
    as long as it shoots good
    Shoots better than it ever has!

Quote Originally Posted by rembrandt View Post
    Do what feels right and if it helps your feel and accuracy, its the right thing to go with.....
    Rem...with the "3 Extra Register Points" it created...

1. The web between my thumb/index finger line-up with the top of the leather roll/hem

2. The bottom of my pinky finger resting againt the top of the close-out knot

3. (and the most telling) The laces registering through the first joint of my fingers

along with retaining the shape of the sculpted finger grooves?...i was amazed at the added feel and accuracy..by feeling where those front laces were running across my fingers?..i could grip a little deep and send groups just to the right of center or grip a little shallow and send groups just to the left of center and/or of course "center"...and i wasn't sure i was n't gonna rip it off 10 times faster than i put it on but...it's definantly staying as it also fills my hand real nice like..and creates a much wider/broader grip surfac and that's something my bowyer widdeling on it wouldn't be able to do...i'm very pleased i gave this make my own custom leather grip deal a try.

Looks better than mine. I use tennis racket tape.

Quote Originally Posted by reddogge View Post
    Looks better than mine. I use tennis racket tape.
    Thanks man..i was proud for my first crack at leatherwork..and if it hadn't been for that hole puncher only being $9.99?..i'd of probably wound up trying something like tennis racket tape..even though about just serving the throat area (to build it up) with the leather lacing..whatever gets the job done and the arrows flying consistantly into the spot!

Hugh...I can't believe I didn't get more responses posting this..oh well...guess I'm way more proud of myself and thrilled with the results than the www is. LOL

I've always liked a leather grip on a bow, I've got a nice 50's style recurve that has one. Like you said the laces give some good reference points. Kind of a classy look too IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Easykeeper View Post
    I've always liked a leather grip on a bow, I've got a nice 50's style recurve that has one. Like you said the laces give some good reference points. Kind of a classy look too IMO.
    There ya go EK! That's the word I was looking for.."classy"..and I concur..and as I was fiddling around last night acclimating myself to and discovering the many virtues the registers of the new grip offered?...I also discovered something else...the cut of my longbows window and found that if I hold the strikeplate
    Perfectly vertical?...it gives me an extremely consistent "cant"..and that worked out real well too!

Quote Originally Posted by JINKSTER View Post
    Hugh...I can't believe I didn't get more responses posting this..oh well...guess I'm way more proud of myself and thrilled with the results than the www is. LOL
    I can't believe that being a custom bow he didn't ask for a drawing of your hand to start with..that's what makes it custom (JMO)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Okie View Post
    I can't believe that being a custom bow he didn't ask for a drawing of your hand to start with..that's what makes it custom (JMO)
    wow...I need to quit posting.

Jinkster, I think it looks great! I've been looking at those Bushmen bows. How do they shoot? Tell me a little more about the bow itself and how it shoots. Thanks.
    2012 PSE Bowmadness 3G
    2010 Athens Accomplice 34

Quote Originally Posted by superslamsam View Post
    Jinkster, I think it looks great! I've been looking at those Bushmen bows. How do they shoot? Tell me a little more about the bow itself and how it shoots. Thanks.
    The Bushmen Longbows are beautifully crafted...all of them and Steve Jewett is an extremely talented craftsmen/bowyer as the draw on his bows is so glassy smooth they feel hydraulic in draw..mine gains almost exactly 2#'s per inch from 23"s all the way too30"s...

with beautiful tillering on the limbs..very smooth, steady and zero rocking on the draw.

how do they shoot?..

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1737885

apparently?...waaaaayy better than me!

The new leather wrap looks great! Where did you get the hole punch?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalArcher View Post
    The new leather wrap looks great! Where did you get the hole punch?
    Michael's Arts & Crafts...$9.99 for the hole punch, $7 for the leather and $3 for the lacing..$20 was better than the bowyer having to break a finish of umpteen coats of clear epoxy and as bonus points I wound up with several grip register features that widdling on it wouldn't not have produced..at first I did hesitate asking myself if I really wanted to cover up that beautiful wood but I'm glad I did..cause besides the grip position benefits?...it gives the bow a real nice classic look...I'm very happy I went the way I did...and I think the bowyer is too! LOL