April 9th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Carbon stab I made
Here's a pic of a carbon stab I made a few weeks ago (the side rod, that is). I bought the carbon fiber a while ago but just finally got around to turning the ends and the weights. The od of the shaft is .64" but I can't quite remember what the id is off hand. All I know is that's its relatively thick and is plenty stiff; maybe even a little bit of an overkill considering the length, which is 12".
Compared to my B-stinger premiere plus (which is my main bar in the pics) in the same length, it's smaller in diameter, but quite a bit heavier. Over all I'm happy with the end results.
The weights I turned are a 4oz, 2oz, and 3 1oz weights. The lathe I was using had quite a bit of chatter, but with a little sanding they turned out all right. Not quite as smooth as B-stinger weights but still very usable.
Let me know what you think
April 9th, 2012, 09:48 PM
I should add, sometime I'd like to put a decal on the rod (just so it looks a little more professional) and spray it with a clear coat but I've yet to come up with any good names. Ideas would be great!
The greatest part of this project was that it only cost about $15. I got the carbon fiber on ebay for about $10 and I'm sure I didn't pay anymore than $5 for the aluminum for the ends. As far as the weights go, luckily I had a long rod of stainless steel laying around so that didn't cost anything.
April 9th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Nice looking work, congrats on a job well done!
April 9th, 2012, 10:59 PM
either your tooling is not set to center , or your speed of feed is way off
Congrats on both the project and makin chips
We the unwilling , led by the unknowing
are doing the impossible , for the ungrateful
we have done so much with so little for so long
that we are qualified to do anything with nothing..
April 10th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys.
Yeah, the lathe I was using was old and hardly had enough power to do turn the ss. We had to use a band saw to cut the weights off then reface them with the lathe to the correct dimensions because the lathe couldn't handle a cut off tool with the ss. It was turned down plenty enough to be centered but yeah, we were getting curls instead of chips so that could be part of the problems plus it was on a light table and it had a lot of vibe to it.
April 10th, 2012, 10:07 AM
This is the most fun I've had since I started dating!!!!