a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: better than shibuya?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    nebraska
    Posts
    598

    better than shibuya?

    im about to order a new shibuya ultima.

    i have shot copper john, shibuya, toxonics and surlock contender.

    the shibuya is by far my favorite for overall quietness (no noise at all).

    i know the windage unit is more expensive but that is not an issue for me as i wont get another one (just shoot as a hobby, not for competition).


    is the surlock quest-x much of an upgrade from the condender? can you compare it to the shibuya?


    how about other sights such as the agf tip turn , arc systems sx200, bernardini freedom sight (the one with the big threaded vertical adjustment bolt) or the axcell4500 recurve sight?





    i will most likely stick with shibuya but just wanted to hear comments on some of the others especially if you have compared them to the shibuya ultima.


    thanks.
    GOOD FUN AND GOOD SHOOTING, Ryan.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    22,113
    I consider the Shibuya ultima and the Sureloc top recurve sights to be at the top of the heap. I have used both for many years. The advantage of the Sure loc is quick aperture changes-which is an advantage in tough field courses where you might bust an aperture-thus I use SL when I was a serious field archer since I could carry a couple extra apertures in the holders. I use the Ultima for most other things. For compounds Sureloc is the only sight I use. Its also the only sight I use on TNC xbows-I like the cheaper version with the loc down. A sureloc challenger was what my student Brent Hankins used to set the NFAA record and win two world championships.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    TARGETWORLD/HOYT Staff Shooter
    Proud CEO of Cincinnati Junior Olympians-the first JOAD CLUB
    I buy from BCY/ProLine

  3. #3
    You weren't kidding about the Bernardini Freedom sight having a big threaded rod! Pretty crazy stuff.
    If anyone was curious (I was), found it on this thread-
    http://www.archery-interchange.net/f...om-sight-13680

    100_0190.jpg

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    back "home" in Texas
    Posts
    11,739
    What Jim C said.

    The Shibuya Ultima and Sure Loc Quest-X are both world class sights that each have different features. Comes down to which features you find most important IMO.

    John
    Renegade Archer

  5. #5
    IMHO, the Copper John ANT II has been the best target sight ever made. Unfortunately discontinued because too expensive to make in comparison to the retail price, I just hope soon or later it will be back.

    Sights all suffer from same problems: vibrations make the elevation part loose to the vertical support, and they become noisy and, worse than this, unstable after some time. So, to choose the perfect size you should look to sights on your friend's bows used for one year at least, and check how the mobile part holding the aperture can be moved by hand even if theoretically blocked. Almost all sights move, but very few. My daughter is shooting the ANT II since more than 6 years with no problems, and I'm using an old ANT II used before by Michele for years already, that stil has no vibration or movements at all.

    Then, another criterium to choose a sight is to check how much you can move the aperture horizontally without using tools. It does not look such an important feature, until you get in a very strong cross wind and you will find you can't move sigh on side anymore... In this situation, the Shibuya Ultima is one with the most limited excursion, and I still question myself why manufacturer has not fixed this critical point on a sight that for all other aspects is almost perfect.
    ______________________________ _______________
    Do or don't do. Not to try. Yoda

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Vittorio View Post
    Then, another criterium to choose a sight is to check how much you can move the aperture horizontally without using tools. It does not look such an important feature, until you get in a very strong cross wind and you will find you can't move sigh on side anymore... In this situation, the Shibuya Ultima is one with the most limited excursion, and I still question myself why manufacturer has not fixed this critical point on a sight that for all other aspects is almost perfect.
    I thought it was just me that had that problem with the Shibuya!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Acehero View Post
    I thought it was just me that had that problem with the Shibuya!
    You might be using the additional block, otherwise the Shibuya sight is a perfect scope. The the horizontal travel is enough under any circumstance UNLESS you are shooting at 20 mts or shorter distance. Put Sur-Loc and Shibuya on a table and check their components and you will soon realize the difference in quality.
    ScoringApps.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Vittorio View Post
    IMHO, the Copper John ANT II has been the best target sight ever made. Unfortunately discontinued because too expensive to make in comparison to the retail price, I just hope soon or later it will be back.
    I love my ANTS Evo II. Felt more solid than my friends' sure-loc and shibuya compound sights, and just a touch lighter than the Axcel.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    back "home" in Texas
    Posts
    11,739
    and I still question myself why manufacturer has not fixed this critical point on a sight that for all other aspects is almost perfect.
    I completely agree. Having to find an allen wrench to adjust the aperture windage, or remove the aperture, is not convenient at all. This is why I still continue to use my Sure-loc's.

    John
    Renegade Archer

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan b. View Post
    -----or the axcell4500 recurve sight?.....
    My son's using the Axel since Ant II has been discontinued, and he is quite happy with it. Comparing to the Copper John, side movement x 1 click is equivalent, vertical one is double (1 click for the Axel = 2 click for the Copper John). Nothing loose after some tens of thousands shots already.
    ______________________________ _______________
    Do or don't do. Not to try. Yoda

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK GWAS region
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Vittorio View Post
    My son's using the Axel since Ant II has been discontinued, and he is quite happy with it. Comparing to the Copper John, side movement x 1 click is equivalent, vertical one is double (1 click for the Axel = 2 click for the Copper John). Nothing loose after some tens of thousands shots already.
    Hi Vittorio what was Michele reasoning of choosing the Axel sight and what sights did he look at? also what was the reason for not choosing the other sights like sure-loc?
    Zen is when you can hear the sound of one hand clapping

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by DWAA Archer View Post
    Hi Vittorio what was Michele reasoning of choosing the Axel sight and what sights did he look at? also what was the reason for not choosing the other sights like sure-loc?
    Axel offered a 4500 sight to test to Michele, and he as found it to be a good replacemnt for his old Ant II .. that's all.
    ______________________________ _______________
    Do or don't do. Not to try. Yoda

  13. #13
    I have a copper john ants 2 ill sell any of you guys. I switched to shibuya

  14. #14
    Shibuya is the best hands down.

  15. #15
    I've switched to Axcel on both my compound and recurve. I use the AX 4500 on my HPX and it is a VERY SOLID sight. It's not super heavy either and it clicks very smoothly. Can't say enough good things about the Axcel sights.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    nebraska
    Posts
    598
    i am definitely in favor of the shibuya over the copper john.

    thare1774, have you shot a shibuya to compare against the axcel?
    GOOD FUN AND GOOD SHOOTING, Ryan.

  17. #17
    I have, and though they were both great sights I like AX 4500 better. Not because of shooting performance, because as I said they are both great. It has more to do with feeling. I like the feeling if the adjustment better and it just feels so Friggin solid. It's just a clean solid sight

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    nebraska
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by thare1774 View Post
    I have, and though they were both great sights I like AX 4500 better. Not because of shooting performance, because as I said they are both great. It has more to do with feeling. I like the feeling if the adjustment better and it just feels so Friggin solid. It's just a clean solid sight
    Nice. I like that review.anything that has a nicer feel or function compared to the shibuya must be quite a sight add doing something right
    GOOD FUN AND GOOD SHOOTING, Ryan.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    159
    Just thought I would pitch in my 10 cents worth. I have compared both the Shibuya and Axcel sights as I'm currently in the market to purchase a good competition sight and scope. My local dealer is rather partial to Axcel, but I did insist upon looking at both (plus a Sur-Loc and CBE for that matter). I have been impressed with all the quality of all of them, but I have to admit the Axcel did take my #1 choice.

    In a nutshell, let the sight pick you. Hope that makes sense? Go with your gut, do some research, and don't go super cheap.

    Happy shooting, my friend.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Subic Bay Freeport Philippines
    Posts
    2,604
    i use the sure-loc supreme with a recurve aperture block.....superb!!
    two x-factor(25") set-ups with sure-loc supreme/ quest-x /hoyt super rest,cavalier champion II rest,beiter plunger and clicker, soma cex2 29" rod, doinker chubby backweight,fomax damper,jager grips....70" 26# samick athlete limbs..68" 34# border HEX5-H mk2 limbs..32# 68" border CXG limbs...mckinney II 725 arrows...PLUS spigarelli explorer II barebow riser..

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    2,368
    Beiter's plunger is the Cadillac of plungers for superb engineering design-manufacture/precision/durability - I'm surprised they don't make a complete sight. It seems like a natural for them.
    L K S
    Laus Deo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •