Thread: Anyone Work for American Family Insurance?

Anyone Work for American Family Insurance?

I am going through the hire process. I did alot of research and so far really like what the company offers. Since 1998 I have been a physical education teacher and coach. Looking forward to a career change. Just wondered if there were any agents on this forum. Education and teaching just takes away too much time from my family and hobbies.

Worked in the industry long enough to realize it wasnt for me. Have to be willing to scrape by for a few years. Then, if you make it, you might see some good money coming in. Google it and you will find a lot of info from people who work or worked in the business.

I did a ton of research. I liked the Agent in Training program that AF offers. $3000 per month for 12-18 months plus 1/2 of all commissions. An agent trains you for that period of time until you are ready to go out on your own. You work out of another agents office under their supervision. Seems like the best training program of all the companies out there. It is not like I am getting rich in education. My salary has been froze for 4 years and health insurance cost have increased. I actually am making close to $1000 less than I did 4 years ago. Kids and parents have gotten more difficult to deal with. 14 years and I need something different.

I have known a few people that bought the pie in the sky run down they give you but soon realized it wasn't everything that it was cracked up to be-----IMHO I wouldn't give up your real job.
    Have a good day and a better hunt

Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    I did a ton of research. I liked the Agent in Training program that AF offers. $3000 per month for 12-18 months plus 1/2 of all commissions. An agent trains you for that period of time until you are ready to go out on your own. You work out of another agents office under their supervision. Seems like the best training program of all the companies out there. It is not like I am getting rich in education. My salary has been froze for 4 years and health insurance cost have increased. I actually am making close to $1000 less than I did 4 years ago. Kids and parents have gotten more difficult to deal with. 14 years and I need something different.
    Fact: there are more sales people who are millionaires than all doctors and lawyers combined. going from the safety of teaching to the uncertainties of commissioned sales is quite a change, and many have done it very successfully. Keep in mind, commissioned sales people are working for themselves, the 9-5 working hour mindset will guarantee failure, and clearly is not for everyone. Most people prefer something more stable either because they are not wired for the risk/reward, or their life situation doesnt give them the flexibility to take the chance. Most people in sales are not born that way and got there more by happen stance than by design. If you decide to make such a switch, consider that sales is both an art and a science, and the more successful people treat it as a lifetime study.

Sales is a both a developed skill set and a mental mind set. The product is the vehicle, and you must be comfortable with it, the tenor of the company, and the people around you. If they give you material and tell you to go get it done, its probably not a good situation. If they will train, retrain, and train some more, its a great start. Once you develop the skill set, it is transferable to another product in the future.
    Shooting Hoyt now, dabbling with Bowtech...

Judging by your initial post, I see a mismatch of priorities and if that was stated in an interview, I would have doubts if I would hire you for sales. "Too much time from family and hobbies" and the opportunity to make real money do not go together, particularly at the beginning. changing careers is an all-in move where you can forget about your private life for the first year, particularly in insurance where its all about building your book as soon as possible. you will have more flexibility in the daily schedule, but you can count on 50-60 hour work weeks, whether done late at night, early in the morning, or a few hours on weekends. keep in mind, it you like the profession and the results, its not really a task but fun. at some point, you could probably relax and clip a few coupons but not initially. On the other hand, I feel coaching is a great resume item for sales since it implies introspection... the ability to look at a situation, figure out what is going wrong, and fix it on the spot or take it back to practice and work on it there in preparation for the next game. keep in mind, you are no longer working for "The Man" but for yourself and your family. The more in, the more out.

Shooting Hoyt now, dabbling with Bowtech...