Thread: starting daughters in trad

starting daughters in trad

Dear all,
    as the title states, I would like to get my two daughters (8 and 10) started in archery.
    One already has a Samick takedown at 10# with white gloss, 'sporty' limbs, they also both have one of those cheap fibreglass bows each in 10 & 20 lbs.
    Here's the thing. Firstly, they both get a little frustrated nocking the arrows and have difficulty keeping the arrows on the shelf. Occassional mini meltdowns.
    Then they see dad blast away with a Hickory Creek 23 Magnum Drawloc at 80#. I have a Sage, and I'd prefer to shoot that with them, but I'm waiting on new limbs and arrows right now. They would like something less 'sporty' and 'Olympic' looking and something more attractive (whether that is trad styling or more 'tactical' in nature-both would be better than the 'Olympic' look.)
    I could of course go for a pair of Mission Crazes with whisker biscuits (sexy and easy to shoot). The only thing is that the kind of casual plinking/stumping which is just plain fun and easy for kids to endulge in (me too, I love stumping) IMHO lends itself better to a recurve than a (relatively flat, fast and hard shooting) compound. I'm more than happy to be corrected on this assumption, though.
    So...what are your recomendations for a pair of recurves, attractive to a pair of girls, which can take a whisker biscuit and maybe even upgrade to higher # limbs later? I really don't want to miss this window which exists now.
    Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Tony Banks,
    Sth Korea

They are girls and you are very fortunate to have two daughters to love and share this sport with ya. I'm also sure you are aware of the way the females think and do so I would recommend that you let these two girls go thru what you think they would like, give them multiple choices and let them pick their own bow. thats the only way your gonna have two happy girls and the only way Dad is gonna be happy in the hereafter! good luck and take care of those girls!
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

Pink. My daughter (10 years old) did not care what she shot so long as it was pink! Check out the Samick Polaris, it comes in some pretty kid oriented sizes and is a real bow that can have heavier limbs installed down the road. My 16 year old loves hers.

I would also suggest you checkout the bows from Joe at elkridge archery. He specializes in kids bows that are all wood and colored in any style you want. Prices are very affordable and he makes great bows. We have a ton of women in the SCA shooting his bows.
    07 Hoyt Ultra Elite & Pro Elite's (spot setup)
    HOYT Staff shooter / Marchio's sports hut
    Lewis Hollow, Ron Foley Custom TD Longbows
    Zippers Custom TD Longbows
    Longhorn Custom's, Jim Belcher Longbows

Martin Hunter 65#, Omega Longbow 63#, Bear Super Kodiak Grayling Green 64" 59#,
    Damon Howatt Super Diablo #51, Omega Raptor 36#
    http://cavemangym.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBanks View Post
    they both get a little frustrated nocking the arrows and have difficulty keeping the arrows on the shelf. Occassional mini meltdowns.
    Sounds like that's a skill that will have to be developed, and it will take maturity and patience. I would look at the situation as a parenting opportunity to teach (or allow them to develop) those attributes, rather than cop out and surrender to their emotions by buying a recurve with a whisker biscuit (if such a thing even exists).

Having beginners start their draw with a canted bow, then move to a more vertical orientation, often helps them keep the arrow on the shelf.
    Martin Hunter 65#, Omega Longbow 63#, Bear Super Kodiak Grayling Green 64" 59#,
    Damon Howatt Super Diablo #51, Omega Raptor 36#
    http://cavemangym.wordpress.com

Funny how so many girls are getting into archery these days. Thanks Hunger Games!

My daughter started with a cheapie PSE 20# recurve and wanted a pink compound. That is, until she shot one, and just didn't like the feel of it. So I got her a Samick Polaris for her birthday and handed down the PSE to my nephews. She's a very happy girl and really prefers recurve over compound right now. She's asked to go shooting after school tomorrow, and who am I to refuse her?

My girls 7 and 9 shoot Polaris's

I would not set them up with a whisker bisquit

Just be patient they will work thru it

Honestly, a Polaris off the shelf is the way to go. It is so simple the kids can't help but figure it out.

Dear all,
    Yeah, I think you'all might be right. I guess the Polaris and pink arrows that they choose themselves is the way to go for now. Nock points will help with the arrow falling off the string.
    Cheers all,
    Tony Banks

Quote Originally Posted by JParanee View Post
    My girls 7 and 9 shoot Polaris's

I would not set them up with a whisker bisquit

Just be patient they will work thru it

These girls look good! What pound are drawing?? I'm trying to figure out what draw weight to get my 11 year old.

That's great...aint nothin like it. Precious girls you got there.
    I bought my 8 year old daughter a pink bow called LiL Sioux from Academy Outdoors for about 25 bucks, dont know if those stores are in your area but it's a good bow for that age.
    I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.

-- Winston Churchill

After teaching nearly 30 kids two days a week this year - I have found that one thing to help the kids keep the arrow on the shelf is to tell them to not let their fingers touch the arrow nock - most kids tend to squeeze the arrow nock between thier fingers and this is one reason why they have trouble keeping the arrow on the shelf.

If you want to have a blast with the girls and their friends buy a pinata and let them shoot at it - here is a video of the kids I help instruct shooting at a pinata last week - they loved it - we did it again this week but this time we attached it to a long rope and I pulled it in front of them so that they shot at it while it was moving by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6OXTWFb6L0

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanDeerSlayer View Post
    These girls look good! What pound are drawing?? I'm trying to figure out what draw weight to get my 11 year old.
    Those are the 18 to 20 # limbs

I started them both with the 12 pound limbs for form.

So when I bought te bows I got a 12 pound set just to teach on and 2sets of the 18 to 20 pound limbs to work into

The nine yrs old went right to the heavier limbs as soon as she felt good and the 7 yrs old shot the 12 pound ones for a little over a month or so till she jumped up.

A friend just got the 54 inch Polaris in 20 pound limbs for his 11 yrs old and sh is fine

In my mind you can never start to light only to heavy

I like having he lighter limbs around just to go back to if they have form issues

I know people say don't worry about kids form just let them shoot but I was self taught and 35 yrs or so ago ya learned on your own my dad ve me a bow and my brother and I figured it out

And believe me I developed less than a perfect style .

Imagine being started out right. That's what I want for them. I will be asking all here of my daughters to the Whittingham shoot At the end of the month nd I am so excited

Good luck and have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Curve1 View Post
    That's great...aint nothin like it. Precious girls you got there.
    I bought my 8 year old daughter a pink bow called LiL Sioux from Academy Outdoors for about 25 bucks, dont know if those stores are in your area but it's a good bow for that age.

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by sharpbroadhead View Post
    After teaching nearly 30 kids two days a week this year - I have found that one thing to help the kids keep the arrow on the shelf is to tell them to not let their fingers touch the arrow nock - most kids tend to squeeze the arrow nock between thier fingers and this is one reason why they have trouble keeping the arrow on the shelf.

If you want to have a blast with the girls and their friends buy a pinata and let them shoot at it - here is a video of the kids I help instruct shooting at a pinata last week - they loved it - we did it again this week but this time we attached it to a long rope and I pulled it in front of them so that they shot at it while it was moving by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6OXTWFb6L0

Archery is my favorite sport That I share with my daughters

My ten yrs old wants to shoot a deer this year and you should have seen my kids face when they came up the driveway and saw I had the turkey decoys out for a look

Next we will practice from the blind plus I just ordered a BTD Jake