Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treestand for the Mobile Hunter

Treestand for the Mobile Hunter

I'm looking for a new treestand, particularly one that I can carry in and out of my hunting area so I don't have to hang a half dozen stands.
    So something lightweight that I can easily set up. I'm not interested in climbers; too noisy and there aren't many trees in my area that they will work with.
    Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    Elite Answer
    Trophy Ridge Cypher, Limbdriver Pro V, Stokerized Hunter, TightSpot Quiver, Deer Crossing Archery SD Hunters

LW...check out the hunting beast site...Dan is from your state and I'm sure much of what is there on that site will be of immediate use to you.

I use a muddy setup and love it! Lightweight and very easy to use, I put this setup on trees that you couldn't use a climber or stack on sticks on and was awesome! Very happy with it.
    Tall Tines Recurves

16" Bocote riser and 18" Cocobolo riser

Stained Myrtle 65@28, Myrtle 56@28 and Bocote 43@28 Limbs

Lone wolf, worth the extra money and made in America again

Lone wolf assault and 4-5 lone wolf sticks.

You dont need an alpha unless youre terrified of heights.

Another great stand for less money... LocOn Limit or Windwalker. That stand is not for the feint of heart. My size 10.5 are all that fits the platform theres no monkeying around in that thing.
    Only ever borrow money if someone else is paying it off for you! Do you know what this means?

With getting into public land hunting this past season I picked up a LW and I am very happy with it. Which one you get, Alpha or Assault depends on how much room you like to have. At 6'-4" I went with the Alpha just so my feet don't hang off the front while I'm seated.

I use 4 of the LW sticks and seem to get to around 20', but then again, I can take a fairly large step between sticks.

With a little practice you can learn to do it very quietly and pretty quickly. A lineman's belt on your harness makes it much easier.

There was a thread on here a while back about climbing without sticks that I was active on. I've got all the equipment now just haven't had a chance to try it out. There have also been a couple good threads about "how do you hang your LW ..." that guys have detailed how they hang the stand with the least trips up/down. Something to look up and check into anyway.

Mitch
    '13 Barnsdale My Addiction, SureLoc Challenger, Extreme Scope, BriteSite ProTuner, Underground Archery Products Stabilizers, Black Eagle Arrows, FirstStrings, Stan Blackjack
    '14 Elite E35, Black Gold Ascent, VaporTrail ProV, Underground Archery Product Stabilizers, Black Eagle Arrows, TightSpot, FirstStrings, Scott LBG

Tree Saddle. I have one. I had a Lone wolf too and I sold it. Nothing beats the saddle

Orange County, People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    Quote Originally Posted by practice-more View Post
    With getting into public land hunting this past season I picked up a LW and I am very happy with it. Which one you get, Alpha or Assault depends on how much room you like to have. At 6'-4" I went with the Alpha just so my feet don't hang off the front while I'm seated.

I use 4 of the LW sticks and seem to get to around 20', but then again, I can take a fairly large step between sticks.

Mitch
    Hey Daddy Long Legs, you'd need to set your sticks 4' appart to reach 20' (assuming the top 4' is your stand). You must be the only person in the world with 4' long legs.
    ’11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8” Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver
    The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

I use a Loc-On Limit with Cranford Ezy Climb steps. The Loc-On Limit may not look it, but it's pretty comfortable for me at 6', 220lbs. I wear size 12 boot. You can't dance around, but it is very stable and solid. One thing I might note; your physical conditioning can play a huge part of what you can or cannot endure when it comes to treestand platform size, carrying weight, etc. I've been woefully out of shape and in great physical shape when trying to use light, small stands; I can attest to the difference. I may, however, give the Tree Saddle a try this year.
    "It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man." - Jack Handey

Tree saddle for areas you don't frequent often. Cant beat it I can pack everything in a backpack and never have a missed shot from deer approaching from the wrong direction. It takes some getting used to though. I'm not a fan of heights and the first few times I used it I sat there in a cold sweat the whole time. Lol. On the farms I hunt alot I use the hang on buddy system. Works great. I have one stand that I can hang onto 6 different trees in no time flat if I leave the sticks on it.
    Lethal Injection Archery

If you can find one, get a Tree Saddle. I bought one a few years ago and love it. Last year I did majority of my hunting out of it and had my most successful year with it. It is the best tree stand I've ever sat in, and I have a few very comfortable hang on stands, but can't stand sitting in them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Bruce? View Post
    Hey Daddy Long Legs, you'd need to set your sticks 4' appart to reach 20' (assuming the top 4' is your stand). You must be the only person in the world with 4' long legs.
    I've got a 24' pull rope that I haul my bow up with and it's pretty much tight with it clipped on my belt.

30" to first step
    32" stick
    24" between
    32" stick
    24"between
    32" stick
    24" between
    32" stick
    12" step on to stand

242" or 20.12' to the base of the stand, but yes I have long legs.

I can't remember who here makes them, (I don't have any) but you can get a foot "loop" to hang off the bottom of the first stick or two. This basically makes each of them a 4 step stick and would allow even a shorter legged person to get to 20'

Mitch
    '13 Barnsdale My Addiction, SureLoc Challenger, Extreme Scope, BriteSite ProTuner, Underground Archery Products Stabilizers, Black Eagle Arrows, FirstStrings, Stan Blackjack
    '14 Elite E35, Black Gold Ascent, VaporTrail ProV, Underground Archery Product Stabilizers, Black Eagle Arrows, TightSpot, FirstStrings, Scott LBG

Lw alpha and 4 lw sticks for me. Usually sitting right at 20ft. Takes about 7 minutes from unpacking to sitting in the tree. I hang and hunt each day.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Man that's fast. I tried it 2 times and it was just to much climbing up and down with the stand and sticks. Plus wit
    H the linemans belt u ad to take it on and off between branches

Quote Originally Posted by Liv4Rut View Post
    Lw alpha and 4 lw sticks for me. Usually sitting right at 20ft. Takes about 7 minutes from unpacking to sitting in the tree. I hang and hunt each day.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Mathews ChillR, Limb driver rest, BStinger, Sword, black eagle arrows
    Bowtech Experience

i've been seriously looking at the speed ladder by Leverage tree stands. Anyone have one?

Lone Wolf Alpha and four sticks. Near 20' in almost any tree configuration you need to get in. Sweet setup. Lots of money but i won mine.
    Highstand
    Bear Motive 7
    stay calm pick a spot

Quote Originally Posted by eskimoohunt View Post
    Man that's fast. I tried it 2 times and it was just to much climbing up and down with the stand and sticks. Plus wit
    H the linemans belt u ad to take it on and off between branches
    That is my down fall. I don't use a lineman's belt even though I know I should. Most the trees I hunt have branches but don't get in the way much. I figure It takes about 1 minute per stick with the climbing up and down and usually less than 3 to hang the stand. I hang the first three sticks and then I go back down and grab the stand and the 4th stick. I climb up and hang the 4th stick and then the stand and hunt. If it is really cold out though I need to climb back down and put on my coveralls etc.

If you are trying to stay budget friendly might I recommend the Gorilla aluminum hang ons and Rapid climb steps. I picked up the pair this year after season and walked out of Cabelas with a 188 dollar hole in my wallet, after discounts and coupons. The stand is 13 lbs and the steps are 11 so roughly 25 pounds. I am strictly a public land hunter so I make the 1+ mile walk ins and carry my setups out everytime. I strapped a molle waist belt and alice pack shoulder straps and it carrys like its 10lbs lighter. I havent used it in the woods yet but shooting out of it in the backyard it is very comfortable and roomy. Now I have more money to devote to the " I want to go elk hunting......bad" fund.

Lone wolf and muddy sticks

Lone wolf alpha and screw in steps if legal where you're at.

LW assault w/ four LW sticks.

I had a tree saddle too which was ok but I like the platform of a lock on better.

LW Sticks or Muddy Sticks? I've heard both are great - LW a little more expensive though. What does everyone prefer?
    Has anyone tried the Muddy Hunter Pro or Bloodsport? Interested in them too.

It may sound dumb, but I'm partial to Muddy because I my two favorite shows are Midwest Whitetail and Heartland Bowhunter -- shows Muddy supports.
    Elite Answer
    Trophy Ridge Cypher, Limbdriver Pro V, Stokerized Hunter, TightSpot Quiver, Deer Crossing Archery SD Hunters

Muddy sticks are OK, but you'll have to carry an extra stick to get the same height as LW. Doesn't sound like much, but it is. One more stick to hang and a few more pounds on your back.

As far as I am concerned muddy wouldnt even have a stick if Andrae didnt invent the lone wolf version first. Have fun tying knots hanging on the side of a tree
    Only ever borrow money if someone else is paying it off for you! Do you know what this means?

I'll give another vote to the Loc-On Limit. Also LW sticks are top notch. Currently I just use a strap off the stand & my BOD Alpine harness to climb. Total weight 9lbs & no height limits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast