Thread: What weight limbs next?

What weight limbs next?

I got recurve bows for my wife and me about a month ago. We got USA Archery bows from LAS, the Prostyle riser (66") and the lighter Cartel Triple riser (62") for my wife. My wife is shooting 18# @ 28" draw and has a 25" draw length. I am shooting 23# @ 28" and I have a 28" draw length. I expect that my wife will start to use the 23# limbs in 2 or 3 months, which will be 25# on her riser. I want to get higher poundage limbs for me and wondering what I should go up to next. I'm 66 YO, will not be hunting and don't plan to compete or to shoot beyond 50 yds at the most. I'm thinking of moving up to either 30# or 32# limbs and would like to make these my last set of limbs. All of these limbs are Samick Polaris. So what are some opinions - 30#, 32# or something else.

When I stepped up recently, the advice I got from others on here was 4-6#. I did 6#, and it was definitely a noticeable jump, but I was used to it and comfortable shooting with them within about a week to 10 days. I shoot almost everyday, so that was a factor in the speed of adjusting, I'm sure, but still, I think the advice was pretty good. 4-6# in a single jump. I was back to shooting within a couple points of my personal best within 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by m013690 View Post
    When I stepped up recently, the advice I got from others on here was 4-6#. I did 6#, and it was definitely a noticeable jump, but I was used to it and comfortable shooting with them within about a week to 10 days. I shoot almost everyday, so that was a factor in the speed of adjusting, I'm sure, but still, I think the advice was pretty good. 4-6# in a single jump. I was back to shooting within a couple points of my personal best within 2 weeks.
    sounds about right. i usually recommend 6#-8# jump under 30#'s, 4#-6# jump under 40#, and no more than 4# jump above 40#. 4# is the lowest change you should make, as the limb bolt adjustments can usually cover about 4# so that there's a smooth increase from limb to limb.
    Alan

Thanks for the replys. My original thought was to go to 30#. I guess I'll stay with that. Our bows are not ILF bows, so they are not adjustable. At least I don't think so.

30# limbs represent a 30% jump in weight from 23#. That's 30% more muscle effort on each shot. If you feel that your 23# limbs are super-duper easy to work with ... that is one situation. If your limbs are already fairly strong to you, that is a different situation.

Not knowing how the 23# limbs feel to you, it is hard to speculate as to what type of jump to make that would be comfortable.

Polaris limbs are inexpensive. Jumping to 30# in two steps may be an option (unless money is extremely tight). I'm an older gent myself, and I made a 6# jump in limbs on an adjustable ILF rig that 'bout made my ears ring! Fortunately, I could adjust them down to what amounted to about a 4# jump, which made all the difference in the world. I could still maintain form from day one with that particular jump. Otherwise I would have had to dump the limbs and repurchase lighter ones.

Measure twice and cut once on this one. The manly lads with their youthful vigor do indeed offer sage advice, yet wrestle not with the slower development of sinew within the arms and shoulders of their envious, though enthusiastic, elder tribesmen.

Good luck.

The 23# limbs, which I measured at 23.4# at 28", are comfortable to shoot for longer periods, but I wouldn't call them super easy. I can afford to go up in 2 steps, but I don't have money to spend needlessly. I could have afforded a lower end ILF rig, like a Privilege/Privilege or Excel/Privilege, but I didn't think that it was necessary to spend the extra money for recreational shooting. Besides, I wanted the limbs to be interchangeable between my riser and my wife's riser and she would have been unhappy if I had spent the money on the ideal 21" Excel for her and the 23" Excel for me.

Again, thanks for the response. I'll think about going to 28# for the next step and perhaps just end up there. I shoot pellet guns and we play table tennis, both recreationally. I've never had a desire to compete in either, at least not seriously. Nothing more than local club, if at all. I think all the local archery club shoots are compound, mostly 3D.

Your range sounds like mine. We've got a pellet gun rig hanging next to the archery bags (a cut-out trashcan with carpet inside to bounce the pellets into the bottom for easy collection). Got the same setup in the garage for rainy days and late night sessions. Darts, too. We call it the "Projectile Room".

I'll bet the 28# will feel just right for a step-up and keep you shooting your longer periods without undue fatigue. Have fun!