Thread: Arrows kicking left?

Arrows kicking left?

I shoot a bear grizzly recurve, 55#@28 but I have a 30 inch draw. I'm shooting easton 2219 with 125 grain tips. I have four inch parabolic truflight feathers. I have been shooting a lot lately and my arrows seem to have started kicking to the left. I know it's not a spine problem because they are bareshaft tuned and squared off so I know it's not my arrows so the only other place to look is my form. Any idea of what may cause this? Thanks.

Every time you shoot a arrow?

You checked your brace height to make sure it's hasn't changed? Make sure you're not twisting the string with your string-fingers, check your nocking point?
    I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.

-- Winston Churchill

I'd retune. I'm betting you wouldn't have the same problems with a 2216. You're right handed? I used to shoot right around that length and poundage. Just checked some FS charts - you're too stiff. Check out Stu's calculator.

Bowmania

When you're at full draw move your string a little left of/away from the riser wall (if you're right handed)...bet they stop kicking left.
    "A person voicing their opinion on the net is often times an admission of character."
    BLACK WIDOW PSA II TD RECURVE 62"/43# @28"
    1975 HERTERS PERFECTION MAGNUM RECURVE 60"/44# @ 28"
    BUSHMEN "AMERICAN NATIVE" R/D LONGBOW 64"/37# @ 28"

I have that problem and I have to make sure the arrow is right under my eye or it will go left and if I relax too much at full draw, I have a tendency to pluck the string just enough to send the arrow to the left. Mainly it is where the arrow is located under your eye. RangerB taught me that in one of his videos!
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

I have that issue if I am pushing with my bow arm, then on the release I push the bow left. I try to not push the bow just resist the pull without muscle just bone on bone resistance. That worked for me and solved my left arrow problem.

Good luck, C-lo
    Check out my Archery blog: http://charlesarcheryblog.wordpress.com

It does get very frustrating to have that happen. It usually happens to me on the first arrow of an end in my NFAA shooting. I don't know why it happens and thats whats so frustrating about it!
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

Yes I am a right handed shooter and yeah I thought I was too stiff too but when bareshaft and paper tuned they were perfect so I don't think it's the spine. I'll try moving it in under my eye. Thanks guys.

I noticed another thing today......I wasn't squareing up my shoulders. If your shoulders are swung around some facing toward the target it will effect the arrow flight LEFT....I squared up my shoulderes and it helped.
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

Arrow flying left or tail kicking left?

Tail kicking left, the arrows hit where I'm looking they are just at an angle in the target. I may get some heavier points to weaken the spine see if that helps

I went from 125 tips to 145gr tips and it helped me.....
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

Tail left, hmmm try a lighter point
    I am not Trad, I just like shooting recurves and longbows.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradbow94 View Post
    Tail kicking left, the arrows hit where I'm looking they are just at an angle in the target. I may get some heavier points to weaken the spine see if that helps
    OH, thats different, I was thinking a form issue!
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

Tail kicking left for a right-handed shooter shows the arrow being too light spine.
    I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.

-- Winston Churchill

2219 should be more than enough spine for a 55# bow. I shoot 2216s out of my SuperK at that same weight class. I get that reaction sometimes with a string pluck.

Good luck,

Patrick

He is pulling 30", so approx 61# at fingers. I think they should spine ok, but my suggestion still stands try a 100 gr tip.... left tail kick is weak, right tail kick is stiff.
    I am not Trad, I just like shooting recurves and longbows.

I would say it check the form first. Equipment can be the cause, but in my experience most of my issues shooting fingers are less gear related and more user error related. I can make my arrow kick in just about any direction if I pluck, torque, or otherwise muff the shot.

I am blessed with a wife that shares my addictions

All that expensive gear and still no X's

You stated in your post, "I have been shooting a lot lately and my arrows seem to have started kicking to the left."

Most people I have worked with, myself included, in this position have simply continued shooting past their physical limits. Fatigue sets in and minor form flaws (high wrist holds collapse, bow arm/shoulder collapse, anchor points creep, etc.) take over. If you keep shooting in this state, like when you're trying to figure out why a certain thing is happening, these form flaws tend to become ingrained in your form.

A simple way to deal with these problems is to get close to the target butt, so you don't miss it, and shoot with your eyes closed for a while. Do this when you are fresh and concentrate proper form and how the each shot feels. This makes it easier to pick up subtle changes in form because you're not thinking about aiming, arrow flight, or why the arrow didn't hit the spot but, only about your form.

After a few minutes of this, go back to your normal practice routine but, don't try to push past your physical limits. If you get tired, take a break, drink a frosty beverage (of your choosing) and continue when you are refreshed.

While all the above replies are valid, I wouldn't change anything till I was sure about the form issue, especially if everything was working before. With a little work, your form will usually correct itself and all will be well. If you make a bunch of changes now, when your natural form settles back in you might be pulling your hair out, again, because the changes you made are causing problems.

Good luck.