Thread: Hand/wrist/ back tension releases - Whats best for target shooting and hunting?

Hand/wrist/ back tension releases - Whats best for target shooting and hunting?

I have been watching videos with people shooting targets with the hand held releases and wonder if one would better for me. I have been shooting a wrist release since I was introduced to hunting at a younger age. They look simple enough to use. I am wondering if they make you more accurate? As far as a back tension release, I have no idea how they work, but they sound mighty tough. What are your takes on this?

I think what works best with your body mechanics is best for you. That being said I was a wrist strap release guy for many years. One day I tried a thumb release and I'll never look back. Jumped my points a bunch. My brother can't shoot a thumb release to save his life. Try and find some different releases to try and see which one works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by FullDrawMedic View Post
    I think what works best with your body mechanics is best for you. That being said I was a wrist strap release guy for many years. One day I tried a thumb release and I'll never look back. Jumped my points a bunch. My brother can't shoot a thumb release to save his life. Try and find some different releases to try and see which one works best for you.
    yeah ive heard that many times people who goto a thumb release seem to like it much better.

as far as backtension release once you take the time to learn it, they will make you more accurate from what i hear. im just starting to learn BT releases myself
    On the search for a 2014 carbon spyder
    2014 Faktor turbo, for sale
    Black eagle arrows
    Prairie archery

Quote Originally Posted by FullDrawMedic View Post
    Its sure would be nice to shoot without anything around my wrist. I get annoyed with it when I dont want to remove it to do other things. I think I will go to my local shop today and look around to see if they have anything I can try out.

Quote Originally Posted by l3rian View Post
    Its sure would be nice to shoot without anything around my wrist. I get annoyed with it when I dont want to remove it to do other things. I think I will go to my local shop today and look around to see if they have anything I can try out.
    This is what I thought too, till you do a few spot and stalk hunts and have to worry about where your release is all the time. Or in a trees stand if you clip it on the strink then bump the trigger when you reach for the release and watch it fall to the ground. I need/want my release attached to my wrist while I hunt.
    To the OP, my take is that learning how to shoot using backtension will dramatically improve your shooting. I shoot 3D and spots with a hinge release and BT all year, but I will hunt only with a trigger, either thumb or index finger.
    Lien2

Quote Originally Posted by Lien2 View Post
    This is what I thought too, till you do a few spot and stalk hunts and have to worry about where your release is all the time. Or in a trees stand if you clip it on the strink then bump the trigger when you reach for the release and watch it fall to the ground. I need/want my release attached to my wrist while I hunt.
    To the OP, my take is that learning how to shoot using backtension will dramatically improve your shooting. I shoot 3D and spots with a hinge release and BT all year, but I will hunt only with a trigger, either thumb or index finger.
    Thats a very good point with the thumb release. I guess I didnt think about that. I'll have to keep that in mind.

You are making a huge mistake if you go to a bow shop and just try one, you will suck and hate the handhelds if you do it this way. You need to do the reading of a book such as bernies idiot proof archery and enter the world of back tension correctly or you are just wasting months if not years of your life. I read the book last january and now I am over a year and 3 months into learning back tension and it is wonderfull and will make you better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lien2 View Post
    Yep.
    I shoot bows. All kinds of bows.

My opinions are MY OPINIONS. Take them for what they are worth.

People use all types for both purposes, I use a thumb hand held for everything. I dont think BT would be the way to go for hunting , but some guys do use em

I switched to a four finger thumb release about a year ago and I don't think I will ever go back to wrist strap. It helped me improve form and be more accurate.
    Mathews Solocam Z7 Xtreme, Monster 7.0, Conquest Triumph, MR6, Creed, 2 MR5'S, Drenalin, Gold Tip, B-Stinger, Axion, Truball
    Hough's Archery-Pro Staff
    Bohning Staff Shooter
    Truball Staff Shooter

If you're looking for just ONE release for everything a thumb trigger is probably best for most. I would suggest both a hinge and a thumb with similar sized/shaped handles, though. However, I've even been hunting with my hinge, it's just a matter of becoming proficient with it.
    Sent via my 1918 Bell hand crank phone

Thumb triggers are not for everyone but you may love them so its best if you can try some out before buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster of Xs View Post
    If you're looking for just ONE release for everything a thumb trigger is probably best for most. I would suggest both a hinge and a thumb with similar sized/shaped handles, though. However, I've even been hunting with my hinge, it's just a matter of becoming proficient with it.
    I see you mention a hinge release, how is that different from a thumb release?

I see you mention a hinge release, how is that different from a thumb release?
    Thumbs have a trigger actuated with the thumb, and a hinge release has no trigger at all (it's a backtension release).

Thumbs have a trigger actuated with the thumb, and a hinge release has no trigger at all (it's a backtension release).
    Ok, im picking up what your saying. With the hinge release I believe there is a anchor point and then a extra bit of pull to fire your arrow?

Ok, im picking up what your saying. With the hinge release I believe there is a anchor point and then a extra bit of pull to fire your arrow?
    That would be a pull-though or tension activated release. A hinge has, well, a hinge. Handle rotation, which happens while increasing tension, is what trips the release mechanism.

No.... I hinge release is a hinge release. It has a hinge that must be rotated by your hand..... A back tension is something like the Carter Evolution+ that is fired purely by tension and not motion.
    I shoot bows. All kinds of bows.

My opinions are MY OPINIONS. Take them for what they are worth.

Quote Originally Posted by SHPoet View Post
    No.... I hinge release is a hinge release. It has a hinge that must be rotated by your hand..... A back tension is something like the Carter Evolution+ that is fired purely by tension and not motion.
    More or less. But I don't rotate my hand while using a hinge. Just relaxed fingers and an increase in tension is enough.

I found this post on BT releases. Its a good explanation of how it works.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=335251