Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often do you wax your strings?

shoot daily and wax about once a month or when I see fuzz...
    SOB (Sweet Old Bill) Bill Olmesdahl
    Sand Dune archery club MB SC,
    Gibertville rod and Gun NY,
    Seniors archery 3D/ hunt Oneonta NY

Shoot recreationally 2-3 times a week and hunting.
    Not sure how much this theory applies to bow string BUT I wax about once a week. I'm a beadwork artisan and waxing string and rubbing it in is a must! The more wax, the better. Waxed string in beadwork will last over 100 years (Look at Native American beadwork in museums. They used bees wax.) That said, it's my opinion that the same applies for the bow strings (not to last 100 years of course!). Taking care of them increases their life.
    Again, from my experience in beadwork, you don't want it to fuzz! Fuzzing means string damage.
    I will do my first string cleaning after I start shooting outside, the rewax, wax, wax.

I wax mine when it fells like it needs a waxin....

I wax mine when someone here brings up the question, 'how often do you wax your string?' so thanks for bringing it up, it must be time.

Martin Bengal, trophy ridge sight, easton ST Epic 340's

I shoot probably 5 days a week at least and on average 100 shots a day. I wax probably twice a month and when ever I see any fuzz. If I am seeing fraying, I am thinking time to order a new string and replace it.
    Team PSE, PSE Militia, DS Advantage sight Team FeatherVision

Quote Originally Posted by ILOVE3D View Post
    I shoot probably 5 days a week at least and on average 100 shots a day. I wax probably twice a month and when ever I see any fuzz. If I am seeing fraying, I am thinking time to order a new string and replace it.

So about every 2,000 shots for you?

I'm a competition shooter, recreational shooter, hunter, and bow tinkerer. I probably shoot one of my bows every day. I wax strings when they need it. Indoor bows rarely get waxed, just not subject to much abuse. Outdoor / 3-D bows, get waxed a little more because they are subjected to different elements and a little more abuse. The hunting bows get waxed more often, and they are probably the ones that get shot the least, but they are put through a lot...
    There's not much of a lesson to be learned the second time a calf kicks you in the balz.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12