a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Law allows creationism to be taught in Tenn. public schools

Law allows creationism to be taught in Tenn. public schools

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...xAT_story.html

A bill that allows Tennessee public school teachers to teach alternatives to mainstream scientific theories such as evolution will become law this month after the governor refused to sign or veto the measure, The Washington Post’s Valerie Strauss reports.
    OH boy....here we go.
    Tree Huggin Hippie who hunts elk with a bow and appreciates a good dark beer. An enigma walking.
    Oh, and I'm not a dude. A

Quote Originally Posted by Huntin4Elk View Post
    I don't have a problem with it. Teach the kids as much as possible and let them decide for themselves.
    Ron Paul

2008 Hoyt Katera XL in Inferno
    2008 Hoyt Katera XL in APG Camo

Quote Originally Posted by Huntin4Elk View Post
    What a joke. Maybe they should teach the Scientology version of what happened too?

Quote Originally Posted by CherryJu1ce View Post
    I don't have a problem with it. Teach the kids as much as possible and let them decide for themselves; only getting one "theory" like evolution or creationism is anything but beneficial.
    THIS!!! ^^^^^^

I don't have a problem with it. Teach the kids as much as possible and let them decide for themselves.
    First off, their is no genuine scientific controversy over evolution--the consensus of science is that it is true. The "controversy" is a religious one which has no place in science class. So there is no scientific controversy to teach. Second, children are not research scientists. So we teach them the consensus of science, and the scientific method, rather than tell them to figure it out on their own.
    <evidence><
    ..../............\.......
    Hoyt GM OR - Adcock ACS LB - Bickerstaffe ELB - USA Archery Level 2

"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers.” HL Mencken

hahahaha this is going to be great to watch. Atheists heads will explode.
    if a woman starts hitting me and won't stop , she's gonna get her lips tapped.

How much time will be wasted in the classroom on this that could've been used to actually further a child's education?
    The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

I can't say I have a problem with this. They aren't being forced to teach anything.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    The beginning of wisdom is admitting "I don't know"

Quote Originally Posted by Warbow View Post
    First off, their is no genuine scientific controversy over evolution--the consensus of science is that it is true. The "controversy" is a religious one which has no place in science class. So there is no scientific controversy to teach. Second, children are not research scientists. So we teach them the consensus of science, and the scientific method, rather than tell them to figure it out on their own.
    Were you brainwashed into being an atheist or believing in evolution? No...you made those decisions for yourself after doing your own research and weighing the possibilities of the respective topics you learned about.

Quote Originally Posted by DougKMN View Post
    I can't say I have a problem with this. They aren't being forced to teach anything.

Good point. Just because a law allows creationism to be taught in schools doesn't mean that every school board is going to include it in their curriculum.
    Ron Paul

I hope they don't waste much time on it. I'd rather pickup another advanced math class than waste time with fairy tales 101.

But that's just my opinion.
    "Odocoileus Virginianus"-Mother Nature's original fast food
    Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, Hate me because I'm way smarter than you Juan.
    Steelers in 2015!!!!

Were you brainwashed into being an atheist or believing in evolution? No...you made those decisions for yourself after doing your own research and weighing the possibilities of the respective topics you learned about.

Good point. Just because a law allows creationism to be taught in schools doesn't mean that every school board is going to include it in their curriculum.
    Kind of makes me wonder why they need a law for it....

The beginning of wisdom is admitting "I don't know"

Quote Originally Posted by BigHarry View Post
    How much time will be wasted in the classroom on this that could've been used to actually further a child's education?
    about the same as evolution being taught as fact hahahaha.Or maybe as much time as teaching kids about the m homosexual lifestyle hahhahaa

Quote Originally Posted by Punch_Master View Post
    I hope they don't waste much time on it. I'd rather pickup a advanced math class than waste time with fairy tales 101.
    I tend to agree. The US ranks 25th+ in standardized math scores worldwide...
    Ron Paul

Look, OK, that's just about the most ridiculous thing a person could say. Yes, yes, teach then alchemy, astrology, and creation myths and say they are alternatives to science. Brilliant. We'll be the nation of the dumbest people on the whole planet within a generation. Goodbye world leadership, we're teaching our children to be morons now! Good-bye those of you who put a man on the moon, we're headed for the caves with the other third-world dung-heap nations. Goodbye America, we're a religiously-run nation now, like Iran! Yippee! Hell-fire, Cletus!

I'm tellin' ya, Lincoln was wrong, he should have let the south go into their merry land of BS, we'd have flying cars up north by now.
    "'Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise': thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents."

Kids don't get to decide for themselves in school. They have to learn it to get the grade. They have no choice, unless they want to fail! Kids are influenced by what they learn at a young age. I decided in school that I didn't like math, I like science. Math wasn't interesting to me and I failed at it. So what if a kid decides they're not interested in religion? Is the school going to fail them?
    Scott Outdoors & Archery Everything you need with low prices and fast shipping!
    Arrows from Beman - Carbon Express - Easton - Gold Tip - Victory
    Hunting Apparel such as Scent-Lok - Robinson Outdoors Inc. Scentblocker - Natural Gear - Russell Outdoors - & More!
    scott-outdoors-archery@comcast.net

There are going to be a lot of atheist doing this when word gets out.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
    Look, OK, that's just about the most ridiculous thing a person could say. Yes, yes, teach then alchemy, astrology, and creation myths and say they are alternatives to science. Brilliant. We'll be the nation of the dumbest people on the whole planet within a generation. Goodbye world leadership, we're teaching our children to be morons now! Good-bye those of you who put a man on the moon, we're headed for the caves with the other third-world dung-heap nations. Goodbye America, we're a religiously-run nation now, like Iran! Yippee! Hell-fire, Cletus!

I'm tellin' ya, Lincoln was wrong, he should have let the south go into their merry land of BS, we'd have flying cars up north by now.
    so much drama. Relax were not Iran.I and many other Christians don't wanna be like Iran.Chill for crying out loud.So you guys can't brain wash kids anymore. Now they can pick what they believe.

Bingo!
    ~Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do.
    ~Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak.
    ~An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by sticshooter View Post
    so much drama. Relax were not Iran.I and many other Christians don't wanna be like Iran.Chill for crying out loud.So you guys can't brain wash kids anymore. Now they can pick what they believe.
    Yeah bro, and they talk about religious brainwashing. What's that H word..oh yeah, hypocrites.
    ~Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak.

I don't see this as a big issue........If parents don't like it they can home school there kid and keep them in a bubble so they don't hear any possible other ideas except what mommy and daddy want them to be....

I figure this is what religious folks have had to do to keep their kids bubble wrapped fair is fair right.......

Fair and Balanced with a splash of Sarcasm, and pinch of Reason

Life is about balance. Be kind, but don't let people abuse you. Trust, but don't be deceived. Be content, but never stop improving yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKSTER View Post
    I don't see this as a big issue........If parents don't like it they can home school there kid and keep them in a bubble so they don't hear any possible other ideas except what mommy and daddy want them to be....

I figure this is what religious folks have had to do to keep their kids bubble wrapped fair is fair right.......
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKSTER View Post

huh?

[snicker] uhhhh, no, many. many, religious folks send their kids to public school everyday [including myself] knowing that when it comes to science classes, it's gonna be biased to one theory.

That's where discussing things with your childeren plays in.

I think the class should be an elective course and not a required course. That way the kid has a real choice and are not forced to learn about religion. There is no need for a kid to be required to take a class that is not going to be required in college. That way the ones that don't have any interest in religion are not punished by getting a failing grade.
    Scott Outdoors & Archery Everything you need with low prices and fast shipping!
    Arrows from Beman - Carbon Express - Easton - Gold Tip - Victory
    Hunting Apparel such as Scent-Lok - Robinson Outdoors Inc. Scentblocker - Natural Gear - Russell Outdoors - & More!
    scott-outdoors-archery@comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post

I don't know any Christians that reject science. We all studied science in school just like I imagine you did.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast