a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Law allows creationism to be taught in Tenn. public schools

Quote Originally Posted by Warbow View Post
    Ah, that would be deism. The god of Deism, a hands-off god that just starts the universe and kicks back to watch, is compatible with evolution. But such a hands off god is also irrelevant to it. And there is no point in talking about such an uninvolved and unprovable god in science class any more than there is in talking about Invisible Pink Unicorns.
    It requires discussion due to the fact of 75-80% of the world believing in a creator....I would guess that only 1-2% believe in invisible pink unicorns. Your saying that it shouldnt be included in a science class because there is no way to test the hypothesis. Maybe science should devote time to finding ways to test this, instead of just shunning it, and only focusing on what the funding/funders want to see.
    2011 Athens Afflixtion

"Smooth seas do not make for good sailors"

Quote Originally Posted by DougKMN View Post
    The fact that theories are fluid does NOT mean they are invalid. That is one of the key differences between science and religion. Religion is based on belief. It is rigid and unchanging. Science allows for things to be wrong and allows for theories to be refined. You seem to be stuck on this crazy notion that theory = fact. It is not the case. A theory is a abstract derived from a collection of observations, be they natural occurring or done in a model. Theories change as more and better data becomes available, it is one of the keystones of science. When Einstein said Newton's theory of gravitation was not correct, and came out with his own theory, there was no violence, no murder, and no threats thereof within the science community. Can't say the same wasn't true when science first questioned the BELIEF that the Earth was flat or the center of the universe. Just ask Bruno.

And as for the females....DUUUHERRRRRRRR....w e KNOW that any progeny gets half of its genetic material from its father in any organism that reproduces sexually.
    I understand how theories work. I wonder if you guys think Christians don't study science in grade school or college or something. When a theory doesn't hold water it should be abandoned. Yes?

Have you ever compared a male peacock to a female? Do you need me to help you think that through?

Quote Originally Posted by cobowhntr View Post
    Sorry I should have added some sarcasm smillies. I figured you get it with my response being what it was, you know Hawking as a proponent of creation. Although the question about his theories was legit. Also buried in my sarcasm was the notion that only those you listed are considered scientific giants, although at least one is was a creationist.
    Anyhow this article is an interesting read:
    http://creation.com/biblical-roots-of-modern-science

However what do you think of your man Tesla's stance?
    From a purely objective and scientific viewpoint, he makes sense. From a human sociological standpoint, it needs....ummmm....polishing.

Quote Originally Posted by frankchugga View Post
    From a purely objective and scientific viewpoint, he makes sense. From a human sociological standpoint, it needs....ummmm....polishing.
    War had a diatribe about crap in milk. ........

I agree, his understanding was consistent with his beliefs.
    Walk Your Talk

AnonArcher;1063891584]The irony is - it explains the Giraffe perfectly.

First - no one I have ever seen (except Christians) thinks that the theory of evolution means anything about conscious decisions. It is called selective advantage - no more, no less.
    Well, you need to take a week off from posting then and catch up on all the evolution threads, then get back to me.

Let me demonstrate. Let's assume that giraffes live in a world of limited resources - there just aren't enough leaves to go around (imagine an unexptected drought one year). Some percentage of the entire population is going to starve to death. As all of the lower leaves are consumed - only the tallest giraffes can reach food - and thus they persist through this population bottleneck. Suddenly the genes for relatively short necked giraffes are gone. Everything is great and the population expands again. Another bottleneck - only this time it takes an additional length of neck to survive. Repeat pattern for millions of years.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, back it up there man.

First, if all the short-necked giraffe's died off from your "one year drought", then that would mean all other vegetation browsers would die off too. By your logic, this would mean we'd only have long-neck giraffe's roaming the earth, as far as vegetation browsers go. There would've went the whitetail deerhunting industry! The cowboys and indians would've had to fight each other on foot.

Second, what do you mean by "this time it takes an additional length of neck to survive"? in the next bottleneck?

Or here is one for Rattus. Let's assume millions of years ago there was a squirrel (or at least - an ancestor of the squirrel) living in a tree. Let's further assume that said squirrel has a predator chasing him. He reaches the end of the branch and it is either jump or be eaten. So the squirrel jumps. Depending on the height the squirrel may live or die. But lets say some squirrels have a little more skin between their front and back legs than normal. When they jump under the circumstances given above - the extra skin slows their descent just slightly so that they can live while jumping from a higher distance. There genes are passed on and webbing between the front and back legs becomes positively passe'. Repeat for millions of years and squirrels are gliding from tree to tree effortlessly. And Rattus is claiming that squirrels wanted to fly - they simply lived better lives because of a little extra skin. A squirrel never once needed to learn to fly or even intended to fly.

Anthropomorphic thinking from both of you.
    OK, so let's go with the squirrel deither decides to jump or he gets ate, so he jumps......first, he doesn't know the extra skin can be of that benefit for him, but we'll say he gets lucky his first jump. OK, so, where do you go from there? What exactly do you mean by "Their genes are passed on"? Does that include the decision to jump? Are you including a decision into "genes passed on"?
    ~Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do.
    ~Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak.
    ~An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by MoBo Act 4:12 View Post
    Well, you need to take a week off from posting then and catch up on all the evolution threads, then get back to me.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, back it up there man.

First, if all the short-necked giraffe's died off from your "one year drought", then that would mean all other vegetation browsers would die off too. By your logic, this would mean we'd only have long-neck giraffe's roaming the earth, as far as vegetation browsers go. There would've went the whitetail deerhunting industry! The cowboys and indians would've had to fight each other on foot.

Second, what do you mean by "this time it takes an additional length of neck to survive"? in the next bottleneck?

OK, so let's go with the squirrel deither decides to jump or he gets ate, so he jumps......first, he doesn't know the extra skin can be of that benefit for him, but we'll say he gets lucky his first jump. OK, so, where do you go from there? What exactly do you mean by "Their genes are passed on"? Does that include the decision to jump? Are you including a decision into "genes passed on"?
    No... once that squirrel took that LEAP, he was having quite a bit of fun with it... then he decided to teach his brother... the game caught on and then the first squirrel decided to start teaching flying to others... but alas.... along came the Govt... nope.... not without unionizing... but hey... we'll give you nuts for winter... but... oh.. we're gonna have to take some back fer us.. I mean ... we got you unionized after all... we deserve something don't we... an besides... you all is indian squirrels.. and so, squirrels learned to fly.... but then... a spider, weaving a web of intrigue... had a friend squirrel and sayed... hey squirrel.. you want some jeans that you can pass on to yer other squirrels as they all get their pilots license...

Quote Originally Posted by rattus58 View Post
    No... once that squirrel took that LEAP, he was having quite a bit of fun with it... then he decided to teach his brother... the game caught on and then the first squirrel decided to start teaching flying to others... but alas.... along came the Govt... nope.... not without unionizing... but hey... we'll give you nuts for winter... but... oh.. we're gonna have to take some back fer us.. I mean ... we got you unionized after all... we deserve something don't we... an besides... you all is indian squirrels.. and so, squirrels learned to fly.... but then... a spider, weaving a web of intrigue... had a friend squirrel and sayed... hey squirrel.. you want some jeans that you can pass on to yer other squirrels as they all get their pilots license...
    Dang! my head's spinning rattus!

So maybe squirrels have an Air Force eh?

I'll have to keep my eye on the treetops tomorrow while i'm turkey hunting! [season starts]
    ~Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do.
    ~Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak.
    ~An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678