a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: want to start doing some serious pike fishing

want to start doing some serious pike fishing

I have set myself a goal this summer to catch a pike worth having mounted the only problem is i never have gone out looking for these fish the few i have gotten were on "accident" trolling for pretty much anything. what do you guys like to use to go after them i have access to a boat fishing light and like 5 big tackel boxes of lures. and a whole summer to do it.

Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Well im not much of pike fishermen at all but some basic things to keep in mind. Put yourself in the best spot first off all, choose the best lake then scout it for the optimal area where they may be at on that particular lake. Then try different tactics over say a weeks span. Try in in the morning for a day using various lures, do a mid day fish one, an afternoon fish, then try a evening/night fish. Once you see where you had the best luck target that specific time each time you go out. And remember what you caught them on before, most times if it works once it works forever. Then once you figure all that out dont tell anybody if you want to keep enjoying it. That all put together is the main reason I feel im successful at fishing. Ive covered alot of water so I know where the fish are and where not to waste my time, and Ive thrown thousands of baits so I know what to keep going back to. I have 6000 dollars worth of lures but I use about 25 dollars worth on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by pabuckslayer08 View Post
    Well im not much of pike fishermen at all but some basic things to keep in mind. Put yourself in the best spot first off all, choose the best lake then scout it for the optimal area where they may be at on that particular lake. Then try different tactics over say a weeks span. Try in in the morning for a day using various lures, do a mid day fish one, an afternoon fish, then try a evening/night fish. Once you see where you had the best luck target that specific time each time you go out. And remember what you caught them on before, most times if it works once it works forever. Then once you figure all that out dont tell anybody if you want to keep enjoying it. That all put together is the main reason I feel im successful at fishing. Ive covered alot of water so I know where the fish are and where not to waste my time, and Ive thrown thousands of baits so I know what to keep going back to. I have 6000 dollars worth of lures but I use about 25 dollars worth on a regular basis.
    I honestly couldn't have said it better myself. I have been fishing pike for some years and I have always Rap X-raps followed by a red daredevil

i fish in a river so its really tough to scout based on the current and depending on if the hydro plant is running it can be really quick moving or barely a trinkel over the falls. would i better off using live bait or trying to use different lures. What kind of areas would i be finding them like thick weeds drop offs fallen trees, ect?

I've had best luck for big ones through the ice with live suckers, large minnows, or chubs.

That being said, another good tactic is a large inline spinner, like a #5 or bigger aguilla, black fury, or vibrax, I like em with well dressed hooks think big profile. So find outer edges of weeds, especially with drop offs, the best I think is the deeper weed lines further from the shore, work these by either casting or trolling a steady retrieve, you can jig it a bit but mostly steady retrieve. For the deeper areas, countdown to like 3-5 before beginning to reel so your spinner runs deeper just over the weeds.

If your gonna use bait go big and set it out on the deeper weed lines too, don't let the bait hide in the weeds though, just above or out past a drop off.
    Good luck, keep us posted.
    My other bow is a Marlin 1895G 45-70 Gov't open sights
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiobooners View Post
    In all seriousness I do hope ppl understand that a deer is not worth losing your dignity over.

Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by xPATx View Post
    i fish in a river so its really tough to scout based on the current and depending on if the hydro plant is running it can be really quick moving or barely a trinkel over the falls. would i better off using live bait or trying to use different lures. What kind of areas would i be finding them like thick weeds drop offs fallen trees, ect?
    Well fish it with the hydro off and on and see whens best, that will make a huge difference in the bite. Like said above try live bait as I think it does work best but try a few rods at a time, drop 2 down at different levels with live bait then toss a X rap on top. I bet you do well

I have had good luck using bucktails and spinnerbaits. Quite a few people around the area here also use suckers for live bait and have good success.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. Plato
    2013 Hoyt Spyder Turbo, 413 gr Gold Tip XT's, 307 fps, TT Smackdown, BG Ascent

I went fishing in a small lake with a guy and we caught a bunch of them using large minnows . But that place was loaded with them
    Hunt/target: Bowtech Insanity, MBG accent w/ vengeance head and dovetail, limb driver, Paradigm carbon hammer and QD, Black eagle
    trad: Hunterbows 3 piece hybrid longbow, bear kodiak

When I was in Alaska for a month I stayed at my cousins house on a lake filled with pike. We would go fish the Kenai or the Ocean all day and then I would fish the lake for most of the night. I would go around the edge of the lake on a small boat. I would either be at the weed line or in the weeds, and I would vertical jig a variety of tubes and other bright and flashy things and I would catch at least 10 fish an hour. I fished so much that I was catching 5 times the fish my cousin was just because I had the technique perfected. What is really fun is when you can sight fish for them. You can watch their reactions to your bait and if there is more than one it is not uncommon for them to fight over it. The only way that sight fishing works though is if you see them and they don't see you. If they see you they might not swim away immediately, but they will not take your bait.