Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diaphram Problems!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PREZ View Post
    Sounds to me like you dont have a good seal.
    thats what i was thinking too. sounds like air is escaping around the reed.
    "The Arrow is everything"
    "Never Give Up........Ever"
    "I Call, They Come, I Kill Them" Gregg Stevens
    "Not all Elk Encounters are Created Equal" Paul Medel aka ElkNut1
    "The Rockies are no place to find out you are not in shape" Trophyhill

One thing that I have learned is that dont' be afraid to bend the frame (if metal) and don't be afraid to cut the tape around the frame to make it fit your mouth better...

J
    Visit my website update weekly -- A WHOLE BUNCH OF GOOD STUFF...Visit My NON-COMMERCIAL Website -- The New Mexico Sportsman

I have been practicing on a singel reed ( the one in the pic) for the past week and have not really gotten amywhere. So i purchased a (closer) from ELKNUT1 and this call is soo much easier to use, it fits my mouth better and seals perectly to my mouth. no more air is escaping. I feel like i have a completly different range of sounds. calf to bugle i feel so much more confident in the call and in my self. I have even branched out to make turkey sounds due to the season!!
    ill try and get some sounds up later.

Deryck

Quote Originally Posted by jamaro View Post
    One thing that I have learned is that dont' be afraid to bend the frame (if metal) and don't be afraid to cut the tape around the frame to make it fit your mouth better...

J
    yup, that is exactly right. "all reeds are not created equal"
    "The Arrow is everything"
    "Never Give Up........Ever"
    "I Call, They Come, I Kill Them" Gregg Stevens
    "Not all Elk Encounters are Created Equal" Paul Medel aka ElkNut1
    "The Rockies are no place to find out you are not in shape" Trophyhill

Quote Originally Posted by isda View Post
    I have been practicing on a singel reed ( the one in the pic) for the past week and have not really gotten amywhere. So i purchased a (closer) from ELKNUT1 and this call is soo much easier to use, it fits my mouth better and seals perectly to my mouth. no more air is escaping. I feel like i have a completly different range of sounds. calf to bugle i feel so much more confident in the call and in my self. I have even branched out to make turkey sounds due to the season!!
    ill try and get some sounds up later.

Deryck
    Deryck,

Good on you for taking the initiative to learn good calling techniques. I'll tell you the truth, the vast majority of our opportunities for success are thanks to calling confidently in the field... I feel its a huge advantage that we have over other hunters in my area.

You touched on an important point, in that every diaphragm will fit different. I feel confident in my calling abilities with my call of choice, but I have a handful of others that I can't get good sounds out of. To ho even further, I have multiples of the same diaphragm, some sound great, others are not perfect. That said, I usually buy a few different diaphragms to try out every year, pick my favorite and commit to it for the season. I've pretty well narrowed it down as to what size/shape/latex design I prefer now, but it took some experimentation.

Can't wait to hear your latest calling with your new reed!

so here is what i have learned so far it has not quite been two weeks and i am feeling confident in the cow and calf sounds but the bugle is something to work on. I was wondering how to make the screaming sound during the high pitch bugle. its hard for me to descrine but during the high pitch bugle i hear a screaming along with the high pitch. if you know another way to describe it please clarify me. ive tried to replicate it but cant seem to get it right. is it similar to the begining where i use some of my voice? or is there another way to make it?

http://soundcloud.com/deryck-copley/elk-sounds

isda, Wow dude, you're doing great! You've definitely made a vast improvement! Your cow calls with a bit of polishing up will be very good, learn to add feeling & emotion behind them like you are a real cow talking to her calf or feeling restless or excited, those are more of a 2-3 pitch sound where volume can slightly vary between pitches. Nothing fancy but it makes for good practice & will build your confidence & managing the reed instead of the reed managing you! Next thing you know you will be sharing both cow & calf sounds! (grin)

No need to get too fancy with your bugle sounds, get a good high pitch location Bugle & stay with a similar sounding bugle that you just shared. That sound was one where a bull is calling a cow/cows his way that he hears or sees! By adding a growling tone it then becomes an intimidation or challenge. --- Adding a growl the easiest way is to use your voice, take your tube & growl through it without the reed in your mouth at first. Growl similar to a bear growl, do this in a light tone, medium tone & then a course tone all with no reed in your mouth, get the feel for your different ranges. Once comfortable with making this sound in a controlled manner now add the mouth reed & play with both your bugling & voice growl inflection & it's various levels for fun. You can add this growl in the beginning, middle or end with practice! Have fun & great job!

ElkNut1
    elknut.com
    Vortex Optics Dealer

As always Elknut1's advice is spot on...I would advise buying his calling series, it really helped me.

The only thing I could add is this.

My easiest to use reed is Rocky Jacobsen Raging Bull Brown. I just started using it in last couple of years and although I am not a master caller it seems to be the easiest to use, and I have tried the Primos ones which are similar but the Rocky ones seem to have better sound to me.

Here is a good vid.

I have no affiliation with Rocky Jacobsen or his calls, so this isn't an advertisement.

Isda... did you say 2 weeks or 2 months? That was VERY VERY good for a 2 week old diaphragm caller! I kid you not, by September you'll be ready for calling bulls in.

elknut pretty much summed it up above, so there's no need to go into more detail. Keep working on the fundamentals. You will quickly learn how to move your tongue to produce all of the sounds that your seeking. It sounds to me that you've found a reed that fits you well, which is pretty fortunate on your 2nd attempt!

Quote Originally Posted by isda View Post
    so here is what i have learned so far it has not quite been two weeks and i am feeling confident in the cow and calf sounds but the bugle is something to work on. I was wondering how to make the screaming sound during the high pitch bugle. its hard for me to descrine but during the high pitch bugle i hear a screaming along with the high pitch. if you know another way to describe it please clarify me. ive tried to replicate it but cant seem to get it right. is it similar to the begining where i use some of my voice? or is there another way to make it?

http://soundcloud.com/deryck-copley/elk-sounds
    That's a huge improvement! Keep practicing every day while trying to replicate real elk sounds (or very good callers) and you will be dialed in enough to do some damage come elk season. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
    University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12