a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Tab modification

Tab modification

Do any of you modify your finger tab in any way? If so, how?

I added two layers of leather and a thin layer of suede as backing to my cordovan face. Way comfortable. But, not surprisingly, it seems to have the side effect of having to push the center shot way out. Going back to a two layer tab.

wow, there's lots of mods available. Changing faces, adding backers, changing finger spacers, building them up, cutting them down, cutting tab leather, cutting or grinding the plate, and changing or modifying the strap are all I can think of now.....but that's about everything.

26 -

Yes. Just about everything on it.

Most common is the length of the faces, second might be shape of the distal end of the faces. Adding layers. Trimming the finger spacer if used. Even modified one back plate.

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

On the back of my AAE tab I changed the shape of the finger seperator black where it marrys up at the back of the tab. Now there's less impact to my palm. I'm also thinking about changing the width of the leather piece behind the cordovan. Currently it doesn't cover my bottom finger very well at full draw.

oh, and does anyone have a link to where I can buy a small piece of leather?

You can purchase uncut leather from Black Mamba....it's really nice stuff for $13.

http://yhst-129515003820449.stores.y...ecoandbal.html

there's gotta be a more cost effective solution than that, and I only want the leather backing not the cordovan

I use the suede leather from my moms old boots, it's perfect and didn't cost me anything.
    I'm a guy, just so you know

look in the yellow pages for a leather supplier. Most have a small leather shop nearby. I go straight to the scrap bin.

Cheap little pieces at craft stores too - Jo-Ann's, Michael's, etc. If you don't need high quality since it's essentially just paddng.

yep, the local craft store had a patch of leather (ble to make 4 tabs) for $3.75 will mod mine a little a little later tonight

I wouldn't be so cavalier about your tab leather choices. There is a lot to leather: the weight, what part of the hide it is from (belly, back, side shoulder), steer or horse, the finish, etc.. Shaping a tab from a piece of leather from a craft store may be satisfying, but it is about as likely to give you a good tab as making an arrow from that good looking dowel you saw at Home Depot.

If you do want a good piece of scrap to shape consult someone knowledgeable like a shoemaker. Your draw hand will thank you, particularly if you are shooting a couple of hundred arrows per day at a substantial draw weight.

Put any value on your time and you will likely find buying a good tab to be the most economical solution.

Regarding finger spacer mods, see this thread.

he only wants the backing leather, you don't need to get all fancy on that.

I'm a guy, just so you know

I took my tab with me to HobbyLobby. The weight of the leather that they have is almost identical, maybe just a tab <cheesy grin> bit thicker if at all, and there were several color choices. Took the leather piece home, traced out the original tab backing leather piece carefully, cut it out with super sharp scissor, and used a nail and hamer to punch all the holes for the Cavalier's screws. Put it all back together, and the bottom part that I wanted changed wasn't changed enough, so I made another backing leather piece repeating the process, and it came out perfect. All in all, VERY easy to do to, so I got out my bow and pulled <another cheesy grin> draw exercises, and it all felt good. Later today I plan to go shoot with it, and see how it performs. I'm betting it will achieve exactly what I want.

i shoot a compound and only use my bottom 2 fingers so I modify the Saunders tabs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NWSpinner,com
    Become a string maker but don't waste your time wrapping your servings by hand check out the NWSpinner!

Teach a kid archery, you'll be rewarded with a lifetime of smiles!

Quote Originally Posted by b0w_bender View Post
    i shoot a compound and only use my bottom 2 fingers so I modify the Saunders tabs.
    b0w bender, how do you use that 'shelf' when it sits that far below your index nuckle? - John

Personally I don't use the spacers sold for Cavalier tabs. The end digging into the first joint of my top finger. I use a plastic/rubber spacer from a cheap tap or an angle tab. It fits way back between the fingers and work for me.

massman, when I first got my Cavalier tab the spacer did the same thing, but a Dremel tool and a little time I ground down the back end (including the two screws that hold it in place) so it has a gentle slope, and it doesn't dig into my joint anymore

btw, the modified leather back piece cover exactly where I want it to and is definitely more comfortable.

with the extra scrap leather pieces I plan to make leather washers for where my stabs join together.

Quote Originally Posted by jhinaz View Post
    b0w bender, how do you use that 'shelf' when it sits that far below your index nuckle? - John
    It sits under my chin and the index finger rests along the side of the nock.
    NWSpinner,com
    Become a string maker but don't waste your time wrapping your servings by hand check out the NWSpinner!

Teach a kid archery, you'll be rewarded with a lifetime of smiles!