Thread: Bow Help

Bow Help

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and have been looking around on the general forum and didn't seem to fit in until I found the western bowhunting forum. I am looking into a new bow. I went to the bow shop today and shot the helium, carbon element, vector 32, MR7 and MR8. I didn't like the vector at all, the helium felt too small, I didn't like the no creep on the element. But I loved the MR7. I have previously been shooting a Matthew's switchback XT 60#'s with 28.5 draw length. I am looking for an upgrade. I was wondering if you guys had any personal experience with the MR7. I will be hunting mainly elk but also some deer, antelope, bear and mountain lion in Idaho with it. and i was also wondering about the MR6, the bow shop didn't have one and i have read good things about it.

Dakota

What features do you like about your current bow? Then I would suggest when looking for a new bow make those features a priority.

Some people like a smooth drawl, others prefer more speed, or a high let off. It's all personal preffence.

Stick with what your comfortable and confident with. I've found those are the best shooting bows for me.
    -Brian

Sounds like the bow already picked you. While I'm not a Mathews fan, the MR7 is a great bow. I've shot one at 80# and it was relatively smooth. It's a little heavier, especially towards the top, than I like, but then again, that's me.
    A local shop owner has shot the 6" bh Monster since it came out, and he thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, he shoots it exceptionally well.
    I actually owned a 2010(?) 6" Monster and hated it, I put a Shrewd grip on it, 50-60# limbs, different stabilizers, anything I could think of to make it a shooter for me, all to no avail. I finally got rid of it and went back to Bowtech.
    Contrary to popular belief, there is a difference between sharing knowledge and forcing your opinion.

With my current bow I like how it is a little heavier because it helps me hold a little steadier. I like the creep at full draw that my bow has. I don't know about the brace height because I haven't shot any with extremely short brace heights. I didn't mind the little harsher pull of the MR7 because it wasn't terrible. I am looking for a bow to have a much flatter arrow trajectory. Do you guys think the 1 inch in brace height between the 6 and 7 will make a huge difference?

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Monster series.
    Mathews Solocam Z7 Xtreme, Monster 7.0, Conquest Triumph, MR6, Creed, 2 MR5'S, Drenalin, Gold Tip, B-Stinger, Axion, Truball
    Hough's Archery-Pro Staff
    Bohning Staff Shooter
    Truball Staff Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by HoughsArchery View Post
    Personally I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Monster series.
    So is there a lot of difference between the MR6 and MR7? The shop didn't have the 6 but I have heard of alot of people liking them. I've never shot a 6" BH

Why change? You are already shooting one of the best bows Mathews ever built. But if you do change, I might be interested in your Switchback

Quote Originally Posted by >>>---WW----> View Post
    Why change? You are already shooting one of the best bows Mathews ever built. But if you do change, I might be interested in your Switchback
    Haha I am not interested in getting rid of it. I just want something with a flatter trajectory. I've shot my XT for since I was 14 (5 years) and am
    Just looking for something newer.

Quote Originally Posted by cummins42 View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and have been looking around on the general forum and didn't seem to fit in until I found the western bowhunting forum. I am looking into a new bow. I went to the bow shop today and shot the helium, carbon element, vector 32, MR7 and MR8. I didn't like the vector at all, the helium felt too small, I didn't like the no creep on the element. But I loved the MR7. I have previously been shooting a Matthew's switchback XT 60#'s with 28.5 draw length. I am looking for an upgrade. I was wondering if you guys had any personal experience with the MR7. I will be hunting mainly elk but also some deer, antelope, bear and mountain lion in Idaho with it. and i was also wondering about the MR6, the bow shop didn't have one and i have read good things about it.

Dakota
    I was in your situation last year and ended up with a Z7 mag. Was looking hard at the monsters and the primes also. I do feel like having a shorter BH the my older bow (switchback) I have to shoot a lot more to keep up with my form. I shot my switchy really well and sometimes still kick myself for selling it.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.