Thread: Anyone hear about a new Crossbow bill in WI?

Anyone hear about a new Crossbow bill in WI?

I heard from a friend that Gov Walker has a bill on his desk he is expected to sign allowing everyone to use crossbows to hunt in Wi. It apparently excludes the use of crossbows during the bow/deer season unless you meet the current rules. He was supose to sign it before turkey season started, which just did, so has anyone got a update on this?

TROPHY HUNTERS SUPPLY LLC
    Authorized Dealer of: Elite Archery.. PSE..ONEIDA EAGLE.. Xpedition..& OBSESSION Bows- Ten Point.. Scorpyd..& Barnett crossbows-AXT-Carbon Express-Rage-QAD-Tru Fire-Stokerized, KTech Stabilizers-HHA..CBE..& Trijicon Sights- we have many more products, please call! www.trophyhunterssupply.com text to 920-562-0099 sales@trophyhunterssupply.com CALL/TEXT OR EMAIL US FOR FAST REPLIES!! Store number 920-833-BOWS (2697)

Quote Originally Posted by thirdypointer View Post
    I heard from a friend that Gov Walker has a bill on his desk he is expected to sign allowing everyone to use crossbows to hunt in Wi. It apparently excludes the use of crossbows during the bow/deer season unless you meet the current rules. He was supose to sign it before turkey season started, which just did, so has anyone got a update on this?

Amendment 3 to the bill was to include all crossbowers in the regular archery deer season after age 55. Amendment 3 was tabled 65 to 30 with every Republican assemblyman voting to table it and every democratic assemblyman voting to include it. Tabling means excluding it from the bill.

Your friend is wrong.

Crossbows are NOT included in the regular deer archery season.

You misunderstood my post, i said they are not included in the archery season for all, but for everything else they were going to allow it for everyone, thats whats on Walkers desk.
    Authorized Dealer of: Elite Archery.. PSE..ONEIDA EAGLE.. Xpedition..& OBSESSION Bows- Ten Point.. Scorpyd..& Barnett crossbows-AXT-Carbon Express-Rage-QAD-Tru Fire-Stokerized, KTech Stabilizers-HHA..CBE..& Trijicon Sights- we have many more products, please call! www.trophyhunterssupply.com text to 920-562-0099 sales@trophyhunterssupply.com CALL/TEXT OR EMAIL US FOR FAST REPLIES!! Store number 920-833-BOWS (2697)

Quote Originally Posted by thirdypointer View Post
    You misunderstood my post, i said they are not included in the archery season for all, but for everything else they were going to allow it for everyone, thats whats on Walkers desk.
    Ahhh. That is the problem. See, my friends are all "bow hunters". They define "bow hunting" as "taking a deer with a bow". If a law change doesn't include adding use of crossbows to the regular archery deer season, that is why you won't see any of us talking about it. Point is, none of us are affected, so none of us care about the law change.

And if someone comes on and posts about "the big change in the archery rules" ... and it turns out not to affect the archery deer season ... well, it will look like that person has an agenda to sell ... one that doesn't affect our "deer archery season" and therefore doesn't deserve -- and won't get -- much notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    Ahhh. That is the problem. See, my friends are all "bow hunters". They define "bow hunting" as "taking a deer with a bow". If a law change doesn't include adding use of crossbows to the regular archery deer season, that is why you won't see any of us talking about it. Point is, none of us are affected, so none of us care about the law change.

And if someone comes on and posts about "the big change in the archery rules" ... and it turns out not to affect the archery deer season ... well, it will look like that person has an agenda to sell ... one that doesn't affect our "deer archery season" and therefore doesn't deserve -- and won't get -- much notice.
    Not sure where your going with that statement? I didn't say it's going to affect the bowhunting season, just that others can legally use crossbows for another way to take everything else outside the bow deer season. I see this as a huge positive for the young crowd. My 12 yr old daughter doesn't want to shoot a shotgun for turkeys as she's afraid of the recoil, a crossbow would be a great weapon for her. I hope this bill does exist and passes for my kids sake to get into hunting without the fear of recoil and noise.

We can't seem to get Sunday hunting through, but you can carry your crossbow anytime you want to here is the Commonwealth. I found it amazing how slow it has been for other states to do away with their non supporting crossbow laws. If I want to book an outfitter hunt there are a lot of places not in play. I'm not the only one that has an impact on.
    Mainstreet 405/330
    Hawke XB30 Compact
    Matrix 380
    Hawke XB30 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
    We can't seem to get Sunday hunting through, but you can carry your crossbow anytime you want to here is the Commonwealth. I found it amazing how slow it has been for other states to do away with their non supporting crossbow laws. If I want to book an outfitter hunt there are a lot of places not in play. I'm not the only one that has an impact on.
    Well, I would trade you Sunday hunting (which doing without seems a silly payment based on a God I was brought up to worship who doesn't care one way or another) about complete crossbow inclusion.

Our "self-appointed guardian" of what is and what is not 'a true bowhunting' tool -- the Wisconsin BowHunters Association -- has had a strangle hold on the issue and was keeping the crossbow from full inclusion. I think they mis-stepped when they failed to support full inclusion of crossbows at age 55 and are about to lose their self-appointed moral high ground on the issue because of that mis-step. It looks to me like the gates are opening despite the WBA trying to hold them shut. We will see if this is the beginning of the end of their foolish behavior. I hope it is. They have no one to blame but themselves.

The bowhunters ass. is losing ground fast when it comes to crossbows in Wisconsin. They're tossing bones out at this point hoping we'll go for it and be satisfied. That's not going to happen. Crossbows are going to break their way into the archery season full inclusion, regardless.

Here's where the bowhunters ass. is at.

The seven stages of a project:

1. Wild enthusiasm

2. Disillusionment

3. Confusion

4. Panic

5. Search for the guilty

6. Punishment of the innocent

7. Promotion of non-participants

The bowhunters ass. is on stage 6 at this point and there's little more to come from them as crossbows become legal for all in Wisconsin during the regular archery season.

Watch...it will happen!

I wanna be standing right next to Ron when it happens, too. I'd pay $10K to my favorite charity for full inclusion to happen that way.

While I am not in Support of full inclusion of Cross-Bows in the WI. Archery Deer season I will share the info provided below to you folks.

WIS. ACT 252 - AB 384 – Crossbows Authorized Under Certain Hunting Licenses

This Act expands the types of weapons that may be used under the authority of the regular (gun) deer, elk, spring and fall wild turkey, small game, and Class A bear hunting licenses, to include the use of a crossbow, and in the case of the regular (gun) deer license, the authority to use a bow and arrow. The is no longer a requirement that a person must be at least 65 years old or be disabled and hold a crossbow permit in order to hunt with crossbow under the authority of any of these licenses. This new authorization takes effect on April 20, 2012.

What has not changed is the type of weapons authorized for hunting under the “archery” hunting license. Therefore, a crossbow can still only be used to hunt deer or small game under and Archery license by a person who has attained the age of 65 or who holds a permit that authorizes the use of a crossbow.

When there is an open season for hunting any species with a firearm, a person with the appropriate license may now also hunt that species with crossbow and a bow and arrow during that open season. This means a person may use a crossbow and a bow and arrow to hunt deer under the authority of a regular (gun) deer hunting license during any firearm deer season, including the muzzleloader only deer season. It also means that any person hunting bear or turkey under the appropriate license, or small game under a small game hunting license, may also use a crossbow, bow and arrow or firearm to hunt those species authorized under that license. Since this Act will likely take effect on April 20, 2012, a person hunting turkey this spring may also use a crossbow beginning on Friday of Time Period B of the 2012 spring turkey hunting season.

Crossbows used for hunting any species under any license must meet the minimum draw weight of 100 lbs., have a working safety, and be used with bolts or arrows of not less than 14 inches in length with a broadhead.

It is important to remember, during the archery deer season or a small game season when a person is hunting under only the authority of an Archery hunting license, a person still cannot hunt deer or small game with a crossbow unless the person is authorized under a disabled permit to use a crossbow or is age 65 or older.

I personally feel that inclusion for anyone age 55 and over would be excellent comprimise for archery season.

for any other season where a firearm is a legal method, such as firearms deer season, turkey season etc, i see no reason why anyone at any age cant use a crossbow as it is i firearm as well. In my opinion anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Urses Hunter View Post
    While I am not in Support of full inclusion of Cross-Bows in the WI. Archery Deer season I will share the info provided below to you folks.

WIS. ACT 252 - AB 384 – Crossbows Authorized Under Certain Hunting Licenses

This Act expands the types of weapons that may be used under the authority of the regular (gun) deer, elk, spring and fall wild turkey, small game, and Class A bear hunting licenses, to include the use of a crossbow, and in the case of the regular (gun) deer license, the authority to use a bow and arrow. The is no longer a requirement that a person must be at least 65 years old or be disabled and hold a crossbow permit in order to hunt with crossbow under the authority of any of these licenses. This new authorization takes effect on April 20, 2012.

What has not changed is the type of weapons authorized for hunting under the “archery” hunting license. Therefore, a crossbow can still only be used to hunt deer or small game under and Archery license by a person who has attained the age of 65 or who holds a permit that authorizes the use of a crossbow.

When there is an open season for hunting any species with a firearm, a person with the appropriate license may now also hunt that species with crossbow and a bow and arrow during that open season. This means a person may use a crossbow and a bow and arrow to hunt deer under the authority of a regular (gun) deer hunting license during any firearm deer season, including the muzzleloader only deer season. It also means that any person hunting bear or turkey under the appropriate license, or small game under a small game hunting license, may also use a crossbow, bow and arrow or firearm to hunt those species authorized under that license. Since this Act will likely take effect on April 20, 2012, a person hunting turkey this spring may also use a crossbow beginning on Friday of Time Period B of the 2012 spring turkey hunting season.

Crossbows used for hunting any species under any license must meet the minimum draw weight of 100 lbs., have a working safety, and be used with bolts or arrows of not less than 14 inches in length with a broadhead.

It is important to remember, during the archery deer season or a small game season when a person is hunting under only the authority of an Archery hunting license, a person still cannot hunt deer or small game with a crossbow unless the person is authorized under a disabled permit to use a crossbow or is age 65 or older.
    Thank you, this is the info I was asking about and looking for! Has this bill been signed yet? I don't want to find out from a warden I'm misinformed lol.

So to hunt with a crossbow in Wisconsin (if this law does indeed pass) the hunter will only need his regular "gun" license? He will not have to purchase a archery license unless he/she qualify for a handicapped permit or is 65 years of age or older? The state of Wisconsin will be losing out on a lot of license $$$$$! I take it the WBH took this into account when it ghost wrote this bill! Putting all these crossbows in the Wisconsin woods will only make hunters want to hunt in archery season (Rut) even more. The WBH thinks if huntes can hunt in gun season the crossbow issue will go away!!! BOY did they miscalculate that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim50 View Post
    The WBH thinks if hunters can hunt in gun season the crossbow issue will go away!!! BOY did they miscalculate that!!!
    Amen to that!!!

I won't go into detail but they're soon to find out it's a whole lot easier to let the cat out of the bag than it is to get it back in again!

Please share the info when available!

This is a great step towards a bigger picture. Never understood why someone 65+ can use a crossbow but a 10 yr old (who can legally hunt with a mentor) can't? Hopefully things are going to change soon as a result of this first step!

You have a good question! Ask some WBH members I'm sure they have the answer! I agree with you I do hope this is a move in the right direction.

Talked with the WDNR yesterday, this bill passed and takes effect tomorrow April 21st!