a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Coach Brown...

Coach Brown...

.... has been busy. Don't know if anyone's seen these

http://www.archerygb.org/members/ope...ing_videos.php

Great coach and a huge part of JOAD archery in California when I was growing up. Proud to say he was my personal coach as a kid. Still hoping USArchery will bring him back into the fold someday soon.

Haven't seen those before, great vids, thanks for posting

I've always liked Lloyd and his teaching style.
    Renegade Archer

His way of explaining stuff works well for me. It's simple and focused. There's a lot of over-complication out there, I think

This is fantastic for newbies like me. It helps to reinforce what our coaches try to teach. Thank you so much for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Newbie View Post
    This is fantastic for newbies like me. It helps to reinforce what our coaches try to teach. Thank you so much for sharing!
    Ditto here. Thanks, hooktonboy. Great resource.

I just started up shooting again recently but two or three years ago, when I was starting out, I used to go to the UCSD archery range here in San Diego. One day there was an archery class and coach Brown was teaching. He let me and one of my friends into the class for free because we had our full olympic recurve setup and others were just using the range equipment. Either way, after the first day we were chatting and I had said off the cuff, "I want to be good enough to go to the Olympics one day." Without skipping a beat, coach Brown said, "Well stick with me and ill get you there." I was 23 or 24 back then and I didnt have my life in order, so unfortunately I couldnt stick with archery consistently. I wish I had stuck with him though :/

Oh well! My life is straight now so ive started over again haha. Been shooting for 4-5 hours a day, every day, for the past month :P

Great videos! There needs to be more of these and much higher level videos out there for people to see!!

Disclaimer: I've always shot by feel and not necessarily technical. I do execute most of what is taught, I just do not purposely do it when shooting SO the one thing I thought was really interesting was the draw shoulder rotation.

Most, if not all, of the US elite now draw the string completely away 'draw line' and come to anchor from the side of the face. The reasoning of this is something that always interested me, but I'm wondering if this is a way to ensure that the draw should is being rotated properly?
    The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.

One man's ceiling is another man's floor

Matt, drawing away from the line and bringing the string back to the face is one way to direct the pressure of the bow in toward the line of the arrow, as opposed to allowing that front shoulder to be pressed away from the line on the draw.

I used a similar technique back in 2004, starting my draw very high in order to keep my bow shoulder down from the beginning of the draw cycle.

John
    Renegade Archer

I was lucky enough to be invited to attend a coaching seminar with Lloyd Brown not long after he arrived in the UK.

He has an excellent coaching style and is a great communicator. I can still remember what he told me about my stance and draw style, and am applying it now my shoulder is sufficiently recuperated for me to start shooting again.

We're very lucky to have him