a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: What would you do?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    25,852

    What would you do?

    So I'm sitting in my office and watch this guy pull into my parking lot with a long trailer. He decides to pull into a bank of empty spaces where my truck is parked to one end. I watch him pull in and I just KNEW he was going to hit my truck with the tail end of his trailer. Sure enough.

    Went out, he was very apologetic. I check out my truck and there is a scratch on the back corner just above the bumper. It's about an inch long maybe a half inch wide. He offered to pay for it, but I told him....Dude it's a truck and it's a scratch. I really didn't feel like going through all the nonsense we would have to go through and him getting a hit on his insurance. He told me that if I changed my mind, he worked in the building next door.

    Would you have done the same thing or would you make him fix it???
    Tree Huggin Hippie who hunts elk with a bow and appreciates a good dark beer. An enigma walking.
    Oh, and I'm not a dude. A

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CA, inland empire
    Posts
    26,122
    charge him a small fee & hit the bar
    Not as smart or as good looking as punch master but I charge 1/4 of what he does & I take coupons

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    25,852
    Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    charge him a small fee & hit the bar
    DAMMIT.....I can't believe I didn't think of that.

    I am going for Sushi Happy Hour tonight too.
    Tree Huggin Hippie who hunts elk with a bow and appreciates a good dark beer. An enigma walking.
    Oh, and I'm not a dude. A

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Funky Town USA
    Posts
    30,577
    Ya don't the right think IMO.If more were as nice this world would be abetter place.I think you believe in karma so ya got some good coming your way. see aren't you glad your not a atheists. If you were would be suing hahahahahaha
    if a woman starts hitting me and won't stop , she's gonna get her lips tapped.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    6,980
    Depends on the severity of the damage. Also depends on if the truck is new or not. Brand spankin new?? Ehhhhhh....IDK. But more than likely I would have done what you did because I wouldn't want to go through the aggravation of getting it fixed.
    Kravguy said I could have my mancard back.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    25,852
    Quote Originally Posted by sticshooter View Post
    Ya don't the right think IMO.If more were as nice this world would be abetter place.I think you believe in karma so ya got some good coming your way. see aren't you glad your not a atheists. If you were would be suing hahahahahaha
    LMAO....Yes, I do believe in karma.

    Quote Originally Posted by savedbygrace View Post
    Depends on the severity of the damage. Also depends on if the truck is new or not. Brand spankin new?? Ehhhhhh....IDK. But more than likely I would have done what you did because I wouldn't want to go through the aggravation of getting it fixed.
    It's a 2006 Toyota Tundra.........it's in pretty good condition although this isn't the Tundras first scratch.

    My husband drove it through the brush last year while we were mushroom hunting and gave me what he calls Custom Idaho Pinstripes. He told me to stop being such a girl, it's a truck.
    Tree Huggin Hippie who hunts elk with a bow and appreciates a good dark beer. An enigma walking.
    Oh, and I'm not a dude. A

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    6,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin4Elk View Post



    It's a 2006 Toyota Tundra.........it's in pretty good condition although this isn't the Tundras first scratch.

    My husband drove it through the brush last year while we were mushroom hunting and gave me what he calls Custom Idaho Pinstripes. He told me to stop being such a girl, it's a truck.
    I tend to think more along your lines. Anywho, kudos to you for being nice about it.
    Kravguy said I could have my mancard back.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    25,852
    Quote Originally Posted by savedbygrace View Post
    I tend to think more along your lines. Anywho, kudos to you for being nice about it.
    LMAO....Now that I think about it.....my husbands truck was rear ended last week. Totally messed this dudes car up. My husband thanked him for taking some of the rust off of his stinger and that was that.
    Tree Huggin Hippie who hunts elk with a bow and appreciates a good dark beer. An enigma walking.
    Oh, and I'm not a dude. A

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    32,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin4Elk View Post
    So I'm sitting in my office and watch this guy pull into my parking lot with a long trailer. He decides to pull into a bank of empty spaces where my truck is parked to one end. I watch him pull in and I just KNEW he was going to hit my truck with the tail end of his trailer. Sure enough.

    Went out, he was very apologetic. I check out my truck and there is a scratch on the back corner just above the bumper. It's about an inch long maybe a half inch wide. He offered to pay for it, but I told him....Dude it's a truck and it's a scratch. I really didn't feel like going through all the nonsense we would have to go through and him getting a hit on his insurance. He told me that if I changed my mind, he worked in the building next door.

    Would you have done the same thing or would you make him fix it???
    I *have* done the same thing on several occasions. In retrospect, I think I was wrong to do so in some and right in others. I was wrong to let it go when a teenager driving a giant 1970's family car with a pointy front bumper rear ended me when I stopped for a yellow light (It was an intersection with Red Light cameras--they don't make us safer IMO, just make more money for the government). Anyway, the plastic looked ok, but I didn't realize that the metal underneath was damaged and my bumper was compromised. But for parking scratches, I think it was ok not to make a big deal of it--but I could have just been acting like a door matt

    On the other side of the equation, I scratched the bumper of a car while parallel parking. I found the owner they said it was no problem. Then they called back and claimed their boyfriend said they should get it fixed. That repair cost over $500 in the eighties. They don't just fill and spot paint. They paint or replace the entire bumper cover. It can be over $1,000 these days. Ridiculous.

    So you can be magnanimous/doormatt or assertive of your rights/selfish jerk. There are ups and downs to both.
    <evidence><
    ..../............\.......
    Hoyt GM OR - Adcock ACS LB - Bickerstaffe ELB - USA Archery Level 2

    "Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers.” HL Mencken

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    25,852
    Warb.....I'm a doormat from way back. I'm better than I used to be but habits are hard to break. LOL

    Edit....I suppose I should say I'm not as bad as I used to be. LOL
    Tree Huggin Hippie who hunts elk with a bow and appreciates a good dark beer. An enigma walking.
    Oh, and I'm not a dude. A

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    6,980
    I wouldn't consider what y'all did (H4E or Warb) as being "doormat" behavior. I consider that being kind and forgiving.
    Kravguy said I could have my mancard back.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    32,360
    Quote Originally Posted by savedbygrace View Post
    I wouldn't consider what y'all did (H4E or Warb) as being "doormat" behavior. I consider that being kind and forgiving.
    It isn't always easy to know which is which. With the teen age rear-ender, I understood his error. But on the other hand, his father tried to intimidate me telling me how he was a lawyer and such and such. I never got the car fixed, never filed a claim. I was out of pocket for something that wasn't my fault. But, I like to be nice to people (even if that might not come across in this forum ). So, who knows.

    And as to small damages, I've gotten a number of small dings on various parts of my car. If people would just scratch my car in the same place all the time I could get them fixed cheaply, but instead the estimates are in the *thousands* because the damage is on different places. :P So, letting people off even for small things can wind up costing you (well, me, in this instance) big bucks over time, or leave you with a crappier vehicle with a lower resale value. I'd be better off sending folks a nice thank you card for paying to repair the damage they did to my car than just saying I'll live with the damage or cost to repair what they did
    <evidence><
    ..../............\.......
    Hoyt GM OR - Adcock ACS LB - Bickerstaffe ELB - USA Archery Level 2

    "Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers.” HL Mencken

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    MN, Minneapolis area
    Posts
    22,576
    My dad in law calls it "adding character". His car has a LOT of character. My truck only has a little.

    My 17 year old was recently at fault in a small fender bender. The guy she hit was very kind and understanding, thought he could fix it himself. They did have the cops do a report, and they exchanged info. He called a few days later to let her know he was able to remove the dent and everything was ok. I really appreciated that.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by MN_Chick View Post
    My dad in law calls it "adding character". His car has a LOT of character. My truck only has a little.

    My 17 year old was recently at fault in a small fender bender. The guy she hit was very kind and understanding, thought he could fix it himself. They did have the cops do a report, and they exchanged info. He called a few days later to let her know he was able to remove the dent and everything was ok. I really appreciated that.
    Kind of restores my faith in humanity a little bit.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    MN, Minneapolis area
    Posts
    22,576
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenBubba View Post
    Kind of restores my faith in humanity a little bit.
    I think there are a lot of good people in the world. The crappy people are just louder and more noticable.



  16. #16
    You did the right thing. Extending a little grace to someone's mistake may come around and you'll be on the other end. I've let off several people over the years for tattooing my vehicles. I had one of my salesman basically back into my brand new Vw CC which caused about $300 damage,I let him off the hook. Had a neighbor one time back into one of my cars when I was wholesaling cars,which hurt selling it,let her off too.

    It's the guys who try to LEAVE that you make pay and pay big !!!
    Acts 10:13
    <+><

  17. #17
    depends on if the truck is a new $45k truck or a truck thats been around. if someone scratched my old farm truck i wouldnt care, but if someone scratched the new rig different story. when the first scratch gets put on that rig I want to be the one who scratches it, call be selfish, but thats just me.
    HOYT MAXXIS 35 31" DRAW
    100% PURE REDNECK
    "YOU MAKE YOUR MONEY IN AMERICA, SO BUY AMERICAN MADE"
    "LOST YOUR JOB YET? KEEP BUYING FOREIGN"

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Newark, Ca
    Posts
    9,843
    It also depends on the bumpers. Your truck's is likely a piece of steel bolted to the frame. On a car it might be one of those that has a system to absorb collisions up to 35 mph, and even what looks small could have compromised it's function.
    "Huh, dude...I think we got hit by a big boat...Hey, quit bogarting the bowl, dude...why am I wet?..." -hdracer

    Staples Sucks I Use Office Depot

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin4Elk View Post
    So I'm sitting in my office and watch this guy pull into my parking lot with a long trailer. He decides to pull into a bank of empty spaces where my truck is parked to one end. I watch him pull in and I just KNEW he was going to hit my truck with the tail end of his trailer. Sure enough.

    Went out, he was very apologetic. I check out my truck and there is a scratch on the back corner just above the bumper. It's about an inch long maybe a half inch wide. He offered to pay for it, but I told him....Dude it's a truck and it's a scratch. I really didn't feel like going through all the nonsense we would have to go through and him getting a hit on his insurance. He told me that if I changed my mind, he worked in the building next door.

    Would you have done the same thing or would you make him fix it???
    Are you kidding.... the anguish I would have felt for this BLEMISH on the pristine look of my wagon hauler.... Oh no... and I mean... DID IT HAVE TO HAPPEN??? Look what you've done... "you know this is what nitemares are made of right?" tsk... tsk... tsk...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,783
    Next time you see him, just hand him $500 to go with the $500 he already took from you. He'll feel much better.

    Seriously, if any other damage occurs to that area, you will have to deal with prior, non assessed damage in your claim. I gave a break to a young woman who was on her way to her bridal shower when she ran into my rear bumper. I had some prior damage that was about to be reported and figured it would all be taken care of. Took the adjuster about 5 seconds to determine there were two incidents and I had no information on the woman to file a claim. It cost me.


    "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    8,571
    It this had happened to me, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in my truck.
    Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Frederick, Maryland
    Posts
    29,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin4Elk View Post
    So I'm sitting in my office and watch this guy pull into my parking lot with a long trailer. He decides to pull into a bank of empty spaces where my truck is parked to one end. I watch him pull in and I just KNEW he was going to hit my truck with the tail end of his trailer. Sure enough.

    Went out, he was very apologetic. I check out my truck and there is a scratch on the back corner just above the bumper. It's about an inch long maybe a half inch wide. He offered to pay for it, but I told him....Dude it's a truck and it's a scratch. I really didn't feel like going through all the nonsense we would have to go through and him getting a hit on his insurance. He told me that if I changed my mind, he worked in the building next door.

    Would you have done the same thing or would you make him fix it???
    If it were me either he or his insurance company would've paid for the damage done. Whether you would've actually had it fixed or just taken the money would've been up to you.
    "Odocoileus Virginianus"-Mother Nature's original fast food
    Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, Hate me because I'm way smarter than you Juan.
    Steelers in 2015!!!!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    13,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin4Elk View Post
    LMAO....Yes, I do believe in karma.



    It's a 2006 Toyota Tundra.........it's in pretty good condition although this isn't the Tundras first scratch.

    My husband drove it through the brush last year while we were mushroom hunting and gave me what he calls Custom Idaho Pinstripes. He told me to stop being such a girl, it's a truck.
    05 Tundra 4WD here....


    I have so many scratches and dents on it, I probably wouldnt have noticed it. And yeah, stic is right as are you... Karma!
    "Im a Dapper Dan man"

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    25,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattlepop View Post
    Next time you see him, just hand him $500 to go with the $500 he already took from you. He'll feel much better.

    Seriously, if any other damage occurs to that area, you will have to deal with prior, non assessed damage in your claim. I gave a break to a young woman who was on her way to her bridal shower when she ran into my rear bumper. I had some prior damage that was about to be reported and figured it would all be taken care of. Took the adjuster about 5 seconds to determine there were two incidents and I had no information on the woman to file a claim. It cost me.

    LMAO....Dude it is a one inch long little scratch. Seriously?????
    Tree Huggin Hippie who hunts elk with a bow and appreciates a good dark beer. An enigma walking.
    Oh, and I'm not a dude. A

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin4Elk View Post
    LMAO....Dude it is a one inch long little scratch. Seriously?????
    Well...I suppose if an inch isn't important to you... biggrin.gif


    "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •