a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Practice Nocks that are Equivalent to a lighted Nock???

Practice Nocks that are Equivalent to a lighted Nock???

Hey Guys and Gals,

I currently shoot 20grain lighted nocks for hunting and am looking for an alternative while practicing. Is there any tricks to adding weight to standard nocks? Or is their any heavy nocks made specifically for this?

Thanks,

Jon
    Mathews Heli-M Tactical~#65+28in.=275 fps(415grn Goldtip 7595)
    Mathews Monster 7~#60+28in.=280 fps(415grn Goldtip 7595)
    QAD/ Trijicon Accupin/B-Stinger/TGB Nocks/ STAN/Goldtip/Slick Tricks
    Trijicon Staff Shooter & Bleed It Outdooors Staff - CHECK US OUT!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYcKFXu9UVs

I've been using lighted nocks for many years now and I have never worried about the difference in weight----honestly it isn't going to change anything you will see.
    Have a good day and a better hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Dale_B1 View Post
    I've been using lighted nocks for many years now and I have never worried about the difference in weight----honestly it isn't going to change anything you will see.
    Actually a couple things will change when switching to the lighted nocks

1. Dynamic to static spine match will shift to the stiffer side - if you are already to the stiff side of the matching range, the lighted nocks will place you in the mismatched range
    2. FOC - switching to the lighted nocks decreases your FOC. While not overly critical, it could drop you out of the recommended 11% to 15% range for a hunting arrow

OP - Some of the lighted nock manufacturers provide practice nocks to use prior to the season, I just can't remember off the top of my head which ones(not enough coffee in me yet this morning)
    2009 PSE Xforce GX 60#/27 1/2"(283 fps w/366 grain arrow)
    2011 PSE Omen Pro 60#/27 1/2"(298 fps w/382 grain arrow)
    2011 PSE Bow Madness XL 55#/27 1/2"(258 fps w/386 grain arrow)
    2011 PSE Axe-6 58#/27 1/2"(IBO)(298 fps w/300 grain arrow), 55#(ASA)/27 1/2"(287 fps w/305 grain arrow)

Practice with what you have. When the batteries go out they have now become your offical practice nocks. Buy a new set to use during a hunt and go from there.
    PantherCreekBowhunters.com

I think I might use a pin nock setup for practice(17grains) and then my nockturnals(20 grains) for hunting. Just wondering what you guys do?
    Trijicon Staff Shooter & Bleed It Outdooors Staff - CHECK US OUT!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYcKFXu9UVs

you can cut off some golf tees and glue in some regular nocks and trim with a grinder to size....
    2008 PRO ELITE.... INDOORS..2010 ALPHA BURNER.... HUNTING..2012 ELITE ANSWER.... ALL PURPOSE..

firenock, they have weighted nocks to take the place of his lighted nocks.

I've heard of people taking a wood screw into the back of a nock.

Shoot the ones you have and when the batteries die you now have some practice nocks. Yes you must practice with them because they will not shoot the same as your regular nock. The difference can be 6 inches.

Depending on the inside diameter of your arrows, you could epoxy in bb's, wooden skewers, lunker city fishing weights or use the alum. 10 grain insert weights from gold tip. If the arrow's inside diameter is too small maybe just load it up with glue or epoxy to balance it out.

Lunker city weights
    http://www.basspro.com/Lunker-City-S.../15702/-958148

Gold tip weight screws, they make these for kinetic (.204) and std carbon (.246) diameter
    http://www.lancasterarchery.com/gold...04-insert.html
    Last edited by BuckKilla; April 13th, 2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinos2 View Post
    firenock, they have weighted nocks to take the place of his lighted nocks.
    Exactly. =)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
    University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterManiac7 View Post
    Hey Guys and Gals,
    I currently shoot 20grain lighted nocks for hunting and am looking for an alternative while practicing. Is there any tricks to adding weight to standard nocks? Or is their any heavy nocks made specifically for this?

Thanks,

Jon
    Jon,

We at Firenock actually make a practice lighted nock, not only just for practice but for 3D and Target. Target Firenock circuit will shut off by itself 17 seconds after activation. As for match weights. Matching the weight of a lighted nock is simple but match it in flight is not. The practice Firenock that we come standard in our S style, A Style, and other do not match in weight, but match it dynamically. Putting weight in an arrow, one also need to think of where that weight is. i.e. in case of our Firenock A, the entire circuit is over 2" long, and the stainless match weight plate is much shorter. For the dynamic weight base on a 29" arrow, the match weight need to be 1.8 grains lighter as it is 1.2" shorter and the density of stainless is way higher than the battery and the circuit. So if you really want to "Match". Match the FOC point of the arrow when you add weight; not just the weight alone!
    Dorge O Huang dorgeh@firenock.com • Office: (815) 780-1695 • Fax: (309) 356-5007
    Operating Manager of Firenock LLC, The Most Advanced Lighted Nock® Company • URL: http://www.firenock.com • Web Store: http://shop.firenock.com
    Maker of Firenock®, Aerovane®, Aerovane Jig, iBowSight™, AeroRest™, APS (Arrow Preparation System), AeroPoint™ with FACT(Firenock Arrow Concentric Technology), AeroInsert™, AeroOutsert™, AeroBolt™, AeroBushing™, Aero Concept Target System, and Hydro® systems.

Quote Originally Posted by FUDS View Post
    I've heard of people taking a wood screw into the back of a nock.
    This is all I do. Find a wood screw just barely larger than the hole in the nock so that when you screw it in the threads bite into the plastic. Then use a dremel and cut off the screw a little at a time until the desired weight is reached. In reference to firenocks, while they make a great lighted nock, I can't stand their practice nocks. Very thin part of plastic holds the metal weight in the end of the nock. Problem is that plastic can break during a harder impact and send the metal (steel) weight flying down you arrow shaft. Metal weight vs aluminum insert, insert never wins. I speak from personal experience.
    ‎5000 years ago, Moses said 2 Israel, "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses & camels, & I will lead you 2 the Promised Land." When Welfare was introduced, Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, & light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land." Now the government has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels & mortgaged the Promised Land to China

I use beman vi-brake nocks in my easton and carbon express arrows for practice, They weigh 20 Gr. same as nockturnals.
    Attached Images Attached Images

good idea

bout Guest
    Lumenok are the best nocks to use I have won Vegas indoors and many other great shoots with them , I hunt with them as well , they make nocks for pratice as well,

Quote Originally Posted by bowmanxx View Post
    I use beman vi-brake nocks in my easton and carbon express arrows for practice, They weigh 20 Gr. same as nockturnals.
    I thought about these, interesting!

They are a perfect match.
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterManiac7 View Post
    I thought about these, interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by vnhill1981 View Post
    This is all I do. Find a wood screw just barely larger than the hole in the nock so that when you screw it in the threads bite into the plastic. Then use a dremel and cut off the screw a little at a time until the desired weight is reached. In reference to firenocks, while they make a great lighted nock, I can't stand their practice nocks. Very thin part of plastic holds the metal weight in the end of the nock. Problem is that plastic can break during a harder impact and send the metal (steel) weight flying down you arrow shaft. Metal weight vs aluminum insert, insert never wins. I speak from personal experience.
    I have to agree, if you only just click our practice weight into the nock, it will sure fly out. Our practice weight as stated in the updated manual should be clean and super glue to the nock for continuous practice. We use to use set screw for our practice nock in v1.0-v1.5 back in 2006-2007 which is not a bad idea, except it take too much material from the plastic and cause the nock (Which we use GT S nock back then). By super glueing the metal plate, it now works as designed. The best part is that it is as balance as it gets as it is design just like our circuit! So the weight distribution starting point is identical.
    Dorge O Huang dorgeh@firenock.com • Office: (815) 780-1695 • Fax: (309) 356-5007
    Operating Manager of Firenock LLC, The Most Advanced Lighted Nock® Company • URL: http://www.firenock.com • Web Store: http://shop.firenock.com
    Maker of Firenock®, Aerovane®, Aerovane Jig, iBowSight™, AeroRest™, APS (Arrow Preparation System), AeroPoint™ with FACT(Firenock Arrow Concentric Technology), AeroInsert™, AeroOutsert™, AeroBolt™, AeroBushing™, Aero Concept Target System, and Hydro® systems.

Interesting, thank you!