a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

View Poll Results: Which head would you shoot at elk?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rage

18 15.79%
  • Shwacker

12 10.53%
  • Ulmer Edge

84 73.68%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elk hunters, lets pretend there are only 3 broadhead choices...

Elk hunters, lets pretend there are only 3 broadhead choices...

If these were the only 3 broadheads available for elk hunting, which one would you pick? No write-ins. You have to use one of these or else you can't bowhunt elk. Feel free to explain why you chose your head. Thanks for voting.
    You can't shoot a big one if you shoot a little one first.
    You can't shoot anything if you aren't out trying.

Ulmer edge -I like the profile "the most".

Sorry to not follow the rules. But you should list a fixed blade. Expandables are fine for deer , but not for elk in my opinion. Of those three I would go Ulmer, but would pick a fixed blade out of all of them
    Kifaru International

Quote Originally Posted by jdcamo View Post
    Sorry to not follow the rules. But you should list a fixed blade. Expandables are fine for deer , but not for elk in my opinion. Of those three I would go Ulmer, but would pick a fixed blade out of all of them
    I know I know. This poll is hypothetical. Lets pretend that the Obama administration took control of game management and this is a rule that they put in place because they don't have faith in people to properly tune their equipment.

I guess the Ulmer edge only because they're made by Trophy Taker and I currently shoot the Shuttle T's.....as for Rage hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by jdcamo View Post
    I agree and I won't vote for any of them. But thats me, good luck this season..

Quote Originally Posted by flystrait View Post
    Vote for one! This poll is strictly hypothetical. I will be using a Slick Trick product this season.

Ulmer edge look real sweet, I can't wait to try them out. Rage work fine on elk, I'm just not real impressed with the QC on them it has gotten kinda pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by 123 4/8 P&Y View Post
    Vote for one! This poll is strictly hypothetical. I will be using a Slick Trick product this season.
    Alright since its hypothetical I vote for the G5 woops I mean the shuttle T, damn I meant the Ulmer..

So, in a hypothetical poll, a product that has not even started shipping yet is hands down winner...interesting.

I would knap a fixed blade out of a piece of flint.

Quote Originally Posted by elkmtngear View Post
    I would knap a fixed blade out of a piece of flint.
    That's illegal!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXXgun View Post
    So, in a hypothetical poll, a product that has not even started shipping yet is hands down winner...interesting.
    Guess the other two are just that bad. Lot's of guys were able to use the Ulmer Edge last season with some pretty awesome results, word gets around.

I guess I cannot vote either.
    I am a previously convicted elk killer and felon.
    Life is Good!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXXgun View Post
    That's how things roll on AT. Put a celeb's name on it and some marketing, and guys will jump on it. By next year there will be a Hanes Blade or similar, and we'll forget all about the Ulmer Edge.

Even though it hasn't shipped, you can still judge on design. There is nothing "innovative" (as their website claims) about The Ulmer edge. It is basically the Rocky Mtn Gator (which Redhead now makes) with a smaller cutting diameter. The rear deploying, free swinging blades are a good idea (they can pivot around hard bone). I've killed many deer, hogs, and turkey with that design. It is a good design, and I prefer it to Rage.

That's illegal!
    Well, since it was made illegal by a buffoon with absolutely no hunting experience........you gotta do what you gotta do.

But in sticking with your fantasy (uhh, I mean hypothetical), I would test the crap out of all three if that's all there was, then pick the one that held up the best and was most reliable. I've already tested the Rage......it's out. I don't know anything about the other two.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 LH PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

I know I know. This poll is hypothetical. Lets pretend that the Obama administration took control of game management and this is a rule that they put in place because they don't have faith in people to properly tune their equipment.
    But you left this as an out.
    Feel free to explain why you chose your head.
    I'll take the ticket.

Reason: I only shoot 56 pounds anymore and those heads are just too big for me to get decent repeatable penetration.
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

Quote Originally Posted by flystrait View Post
    Same here, if I don't feel it will make an ethical kill (just my view) I wouldn't hunt. So i'll pick none and just take a camera over these choices.

i voted for shwacker, but just because i felt sorry for it.

You guys make it sound like you can't kill an elk with an expandable. .... or (in other threads) without a Kifaru pack .... and Kuiu or Sitka clothing ...

It's a hypothetical question. It's not ideal, but it's just pretend. No need to freak out. Just play along or don't play at all.

And I don't believe for a minute that anyone here would give up elk hunting if you had to use one of these 3 expandable.

If those morons took control of game management you wouldn't have to worry about which head to shoot, hunting would be over
    Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.
    Semper Fidelis to all of my fellow Marines, past and present.

Authorized Dealer for PSE, G5 Prime and Strother Archery

Rage 3 blade. Going to stick with what I know. I shoot deer with them no problem and don't care about what others think. That said they are not what I am taking on my first hunt this year.

Quote Originally Posted by freebird134 View Post
    You guys make it sound like you can't kill an elk with an expandable. No, I just don't like the extra large choices you give (but, I haven't seen the actual production Ulmers yet so don't know what their spec's will ultimately end up at. . If you were do add something nominal like a Steelhead then there'd be some other choices for expandables. .... or (in other threads) without a Kifaru pack .... and Kuiu or Sitka clothing ...
    You could also kill an elk with an atlatl, hatchet, and a shovel but they aren't good choices for me.

The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmuley View Post
    You could also kill an elk with an atlatl, hatchet, and a shovel but they aren't good choices for me.
    When there is a thread about atlatls and hatchets, I hope you'll chime in! But here we're talking about 3 expandable broad heads.

Quote Originally Posted by freebird134 View Post
    When there is a thread about atlatls and hatchets, I hope you'll chime in! But here we're talking about 3 expandable broad heads.
    I would simply not hunt if I had
    to use equipment I have zero faith
    in..

Not even a legal choice in some states
    I hunt elk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast