Thread: Need advice!!!

Need advice!!!

So my dad shot a nice whitetail this past season. He was debating weather or not to get it mounted so it has been sitting in a freezer. He is pretty set on not doing it anymore due to the fact that there are a lot of things happening this summer so getting it mounted is pretty much out of the question. He says he might cut the antlers off and be done with it. I'm definitely not letting him do that! So the other night we were talking about taxidermy (schools and such), as I've always had interest in being a taxidermist. He brought up maybe practicing on his deer. Now that really got my attention. I'm quite interested but I'm lacking experience. How big of a task is this? I'm patient with things like this but I would be really nervous as to mess up. I definitely wouldn't want to totally fail an attempt at this but it seems like a better idea then just hacking those antlers off! I don't know what I should do I just want your opinions. All feedback would be helpful! Thanks in advance!

Do a ton of research on taxidermy.net before you start, worse case scenario it comes out crappy and he cuts the rack off anyway. Or you retry with a new cape or just rehydrate that cape and do it over..

But I would think you will spend more money getting equipped to mount it for him than it will cost to pay a taxidermist to do it, only difference is in the end you will have all your stuff for next season already, if you plan on going forward with the taxidermy idea.

Good luck
    JerseyJaysTaxidermy.com
    BarbertownSportsmensClub.com

Let's see a picture of the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJays View Post
    But I would think you will spend more money getting equipped to mount it for him than it will cost to pay a taxidermist to do it, only difference is in the end you will have all your stuff for next season already, if you plan on going forward with the taxidermy idea.
    Absolutely, no doubt about it. Eventually, doing your own taxidermy will pay off. But it takes a loooong time.

Yeah that's a good point. It just seems like something you really need experience doing.

I knew a great taxidermist and I ask if he would give a class to a friend and myself. We paid him 500 each and I have mounted my 3 sons, brother deer and some of my elk. I've saved more than you'll ever spend on equipment.

I've been looking around. What tools are completely necessary?

ttt

Spend some time going through old posts on taxidermy.net. Learning taxidermy isn’t something that can be explained in one paragraph, and there’s no particular list of things that are needed. Everyone has their own way of doing things.

Some of my best clients are those that wanted to get into the business. They quickly realized there is more to it than just putting a cape on a form. I am not saying you cannot learn the techniques, but there is alot of artistic talent that helps along the way. That and countless hours studying reference and anatomy to learn the musclature and how it works. Some will do well and some not so good. The best advice I can give you is to get in with someone that does high quality work and absorb everything you can.
    wildlifebydesign.net