Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I am a believer in barefoot / minimalist running.

i have a pair of trail gloves. i love them. i also have a pair of nike frees, and a pair of vibram five fingers. for dress shoes, i stick to sanuks (the boardroom model is pretty nice), and i can even get away with some of the more casual ones at work too. but there are lots of brands out there

Good to see another barefoot runner! I purchased my first pair of Vibrams a week ago and have been running/working out in them since. Posture and form have improved. Calves are killing me (which is a good thing!). I've also been able to runner quicker and much longer. With regular running shoes I would always get tired out and have to slow down drastically. With the vibrams, I was able to run at a constant fast-pace (had to slow down, but not as often as before).
    Loved them so much that I just purchased a pair of Free+ 3.0, v4's!

Quote Originally Posted by ijinxd View Post
    Good to see another barefoot runner! I purchased my first pair of Vibrams a week ago and have been running/working out in them since. Posture and form have improved. Calves are killing me (which is a good thing!). I've also been able to runner quicker and much longer. With regular running shoes I would always get tired out and have to slow down drastically. With the vibrams, I was able to run at a constant fast-pace (had to slow down, but not as often as before).
    Loved them so much that I just purchased a pair of Free+ 3.0, v4's!
    OK. I thought I was a little odd! Glad to see others are experiencing more speed. I've been running in a pair of Fila Skeletoes for a few weeks, and my pace has been about 20-30 sec. per mile faster than in traditional shoes. I didn't have the calf pain that others talk about - had a little, but nothing debilitating. I was a pretty neutral runner anyway, hit mid-foot and no pronation, so maybe this helped with the calf pain issue?

Quote Originally Posted by CILhunter View Post
    OK. I thought I was a little odd! Glad to see others are experiencing more speed. I've been running in a pair of Fila Skeletoes for a few weeks, and my pace has been about 20-30 sec. per mile faster than in traditional shoes. I didn't have the calf pain that others talk about - had a little, but nothing debilitating. I was a pretty neutral runner anyway, hit mid-foot and no pronation, so maybe this helped with the calf pain issue?
    That could be it. From what I understand, the motion the skeletoes and vibrams forces you to do is what causes you to work out your calves. Since you already do this (or have, in the past) you probably didn't feel it as much.
    The speed increase took me by surprise! I really didn't think I could run faster while still maintaining comfort. I won't lie though, my feet were on fire after 2k!

I bought some Flows 4yrs ago, I read that you needed to "break them in" or "ease your legs into it" pssht I figured ,I'm a runner I will do fine...ran 2 miles on asphalt and my calves hurt for 2 wks, been running in them every since, currently have the Bikilas and looking to get the new seeya's...the Army banned them in physical fitness uniform, I need to get some other minimalist shoes for the PT test, running in trad shoes sucks lol, any suggestions?
    2014 E35 70# RTX
    2012 Answer 60# AT Snow
    "Elite.....You can't own just ONE"

Quote Originally Posted by StoneyN View Post
    I bought some Flows 4yrs ago, I read that you needed to "break them in" or "ease your legs into it" pssht I figured ,I'm a runner I will do fine...ran 2 miles on asphalt and my calves hurt for 2 wks, been running in them every since, currently have the Bikilas and looking to get the new seeya's...the Army banned them in physical fitness uniform, I need to get some other minimalist shoes for the PT test, running in trad shoes sucks lol, any suggestions?
    any of the merrell "glove" shoes would probably do the trick

Quote Originally Posted by StoneyN View Post
    You can't beat Inov-8's in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by fap1800 View Post
    I do need new dress shoes. I found a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves, as most of my running is trail running, for a decent price.
    I bought the trail gloves too for working out and weekends. For dress & work shoes bought Terra Plana Vivo barefoot Ra model. I have a wide foot and they have a nice wide toe box, really like them.

I wish there was more research out there regarding barefoot or minimalist running shoes. Unfortunately, researching something like this is just about impossible unless you follow avid runners for years and years.

On that note, I wonder if making the switch would have any impact on gas exchange capacity. I wouldn't think so, but changing running mechanics should, by all means, have some impact on running efficiency as well.
    Ron Paul

2008 Hoyt Katera XL in Inferno
    2008 Hoyt Katera XL in APG Camo

I haven't seen anyone racing in these finishing first.

Still not conviced they are the key to staying injury free.
    Drink alittle drink, smoke alittle smoke.

I'm forgetting what I forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by GATOR-EYE View Post
    I haven't seen anyone racing in these finishing first.

Still not conviced they are the key to staying injury free.
    Actually, you probably have. Typical track shoes are basically the same thing, virtually no difference in footbed height from toe to heel is the name of the game.

I placed an order for Trail Gloves, Inov-8s, Minimus and Nike Frees. One of them has to work out for me

I had mentioned before that i have wide feet. I am currently wearing new balance minimalist 00. Anyone know of any other minimalist shoe that come in wide widths (4E)? I would like to get another pair but would like some options.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Darton DS 3800

It's rather quite simple; You either do it or you don't!

I have been running and working out in five fingers for about 2 years now. I hate running in normal shoes but it doesn't bother me to wear them. But I have seen alot of people hurt them selves and blame the shoes because they tried to run the same. My speed has increased quite a bit.

I should be getting my Free 3.0, v4's in today. I'll give them a good 3 mile run and let you know how they do, compared to some KSO's!
    And I hear ya, I told myself "I've been walking barefoot my entire life!" Still needed to break them in!

P.S: Thank you for your service.

I have really flat feet- are minimalist shoes ok for me?
    buckhollowsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle48 View Post
    +1 I'm glad I'm not the only one on here I have never understood a woman's need for shoe shopping untill I got a pair; now they are my favorite addition to my workout and daily activities!! This is a big deal for me, I was raised in "roughstock heel" cowboy boots; shoes in general were alot to ask of me but these are awesome! I have my posture, back pain relief and knee pain releif to remind me of this.

Quote Originally Posted by gunrunr View Post
    I have really flat feet- are minimalist shoes ok for me?
    I have really flat feet also and the inov-8's give me plenty of support; I was concerned about it but they've proven to be a good choice!

If your toes are of slightly non-average length and proportions, there's no barefoot shoe with toes on the market that will come even remotely close to fitting properly. I have the toeless kind but I only use them for walking.

My box of shoes arrived the other day. I really liked the Merrell Trail Runners and Nike Frees. The NB Nimbus weren't bad as well. I have to say I wasn't a fan of the Inov-8 195s. I read some good things about them. My toes just felt more restricted in those than my conventional shoes. Perhaps it was just that model. Anyway, in the end I kept the Merrell's. So after two days of light jogging (just a half mile each day) my calves are hurting. It certainly is strange to say the least.

My question is how the heck am I supposed to walk in them...heel first, just as I do now?

Yep, just walk normally. You will find you naturally land slightly flatter but otherwise, just walk normally.
    Strikes me as funny that my mountain bikes wheels are only a half inch shorter than my 29.5" draw length...

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle48 View Post

I didn't find any of those locally and the Merrills were too narrow across the toes, also I broke the 2nd toe on my right foot when I was a kid and it is longer and fatter than the others, tends to rub, finally after trying a bunch of different brands found some NB minimus that work well.
    2014 E35 70# RTX
    2012 Answer 60# AT Snow
    "Elite.....You can't own just ONE"

I made the switch to barefoot running just about a year ago. I haven't worn a pair of shoes while running since then. It almost has to be a lifestyle change. I wear minimalist shoes for everyday work and wear. For daily wear I have a pair of Merrill trail gloves and a pair of LEMings (which are awsome if you have wide feet by the way).

I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend anyone considering barefoot or minimalist shoe running to get the book "Barefoot Running Step by Step" by Ken Bob Saxton

I've had Nike Free's for years my kids wear them too, everyone loves them. I finally bought the vib. 5 finger (Today) and am looking forward to training in them, I waited since I hate stuff between my toes. I tried the barefoot running, but I'm not ready for that yet, anyone who runs barefoot is seriously awesome. It took my buddy a year to adjust, and although his feet are not going to win a beauty contest, he keeps up with me in my shoes, and we run about 5 miles every other day.

In May of 2010, a 31-year-old California runner, Patrick Sweeney, won the Palos Verdes Marathon in a time of 2:37:14—with FiveFingers on his feet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast