Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by MjBears57 View Post
    Doug, as a physical therapist, there are some good points so far on the thread, but there are definitely some facts that are not straight. You definitely sound like you are going down the proper path. You are doing your own research, which is good. If I am reading correctly you are starting with bracing. Add icing with an anti inflammatory like ibuprofen, stretches for both flexion (cocking wrist down) and extension (cocking wrist up) and you may find some decreased symptoms. If you don't have the ability to pay for medical bills, then going this route is the best for you for the time being. The surgery route may be the final answer, but as a few posters have stated, surgery should be the last option. If you have any questions just PM me, I will be glad to give any additional insight to your situation.
    It does sound like there could be some downside to having the surgery done also. The strange thing is that I have only been having symptoms for a couple of months but wake up every night with my left hand on fire. I do plan on seeing my primary care physician but all that she will do is give me a referral and it takes a few more months just to see a neurologist. For the time being I have a splint and it does actually feel good to perform those hand exercises. I am wondering if I should lay off the shooting for a time or do you think that the pressure applied by the bow is not really causing any adverse affects?

Doug
    but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ dwells within you.....Romans 8

My Wife had carpal tunnel surgery 4 weeks ago today, the first 2 weeks after were a little hard but she is so much better now, in fact we are back in hospital 14th May to look at getting her other hand done.

See the doctor and get it sorted .... you won't regret it!
    A man's got to know his limitations!

Quote Originally Posted by dougedwards View Post
    It does sound like there could be some downside to having the surgery done also. The strange thing is that I have only been having symptoms for a couple of months but wake up every night with my left hand on fire. I do plan on seeing my primary care physician but all that she will do is give me a referral and it takes a few more months just to see a neurologist. For the time being I have a splint and it does actually feel good to perform those hand exercises. I am wondering if I should lay off the shooting for a time or do you think that the pressure applied by the bow is not really causing any adverse affects?

Doug
    Your bow shooting may definitely be causing the some of the problem, more than likely just adding to it though. The pressure applied to the your extended wrist when at full draw and before let off takes place in the cycle causes the tendons and nerves to glide through the tunnel where they can rub on each other increasing irritation and adding additional inflammation. taking a few weeks off from shooting and gradually coming back to your typical schedule may prove to give you some significant relief from your current symptoms. It never hurts to try and rest an injury that is caused by repetition.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

[QUOTE=dougedwards;1063911354
    I am reading that rest from the activity that caused the problem is required.
    Doug[/QUOTE]

Don't know where you read that, but you'll "read" yourself right into useless hands. Get it fixed and fixed now. Nerves worked, they swell, circulation is cut off, nerve damage results. Though rare, it is not usual for someone to have carpal tunnel surgery again - not a pleasant as the first time.

Carpal tunnel (wrist) - thumb and first and middle finger effected. Numbness, dropping things, cramping. No down side of surgery that I know of.

Cubical tunnel (elbow) - ring and little finger effected. Both will feel cold, even freezing. Worst case, not good - lose the use of your arm. Down side of cubical surgery, burns where surgery was performed or nerve rerouted and will burn for a long time, but better than the alternative.

36 years in machine shop and pretty much left handed (long story). I had to have both carpal and cubical surgery at the same time. They put you sleep for Cubical surgery. No problems with right arm.
    Pearson MarXman, Limb Driver, Muddy Virtue HT3s, Bohning vanes, Sure Loc Challenger,
    Super Ball Peep, Stanislawski MagMicro Trio, Onyx, Blackjack and TRU Ball ST360, 30" Cartel.

Put a Mueller splint wrap on my hand and wrist before I went to bed but my hand still burned like crazy in the middle of the night. Wore it all day today too. I will refrain from shooting for a short while but if this condition persist beyond a month I am going to start the tedious process of seeking medical help. Strange that I only remember feeling pain and numbness for the last couple of months but the symptoms seem to be getting progressively worse. Also kind of strange that it is affecting my left hand only and I am right handed.

Doug
    but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ dwells within you.....Romans 8

And a month might just be too long. Your decision.....
    Pearson MarXman, Limb Driver, Muddy Virtue HT3s, Bohning vanes, Sure Loc Challenger,
    Super Ball Peep, Stanislawski MagMicro Trio, Onyx, Blackjack and TRU Ball ST360, 30" Cartel.

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    And a month might just be too long. Your decision.....
    Are you saying that it is possible that there could be nerve damage occurring now even though I haven't had any symptoms at all until the last two months?

Had mine done about 20 yrs ago, if its confirmed do not wait ! Have the surgery, you won't regret it. As with someone else I lost a good 20% of my strength in my hand also.

Quote Originally Posted by dougedwards View Post
    Are you saying that it is possible that there could be nerve damage occurring now even though I haven't had any symptoms at all until the last two months?
    Yes. Symptoms of carpal usual come on gradually, months to years in some cases. If by what you're saying, yours is increasing quickly and this ain't good.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001469/

Read it and do whats in your overall best interest. I have always seen surgery first only if the compression is so bad that there is denervation of the muscles of the hand and they start wasting (getting small and very weak with shriveling skin over where the muscle used to be). Otherwise standard treatment first for a few weeks, no success, talk to physician about surgery.

thanks.....good info there

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12