a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Martin Silencer Nitro cams Review w/pics

2012 Martin Silencer Nitro cams Review w/pics

Well here it is. I got to open (officially) my new martin Silencer today and go out and shoot it. This bow feels so good in my hands. It has a slim grip which greatly reduces grip torque compared to my older one (which doesn't have such a bad grip itself). The bow is pretty shock free and whisper quiet. It came with vibration dampeners installed in each end of the riser. The riser is a machined riser according to martin. It IBOs at 340 FPS with the Nitrous cams. But since I ordered a 60 lb bow I will never see that full rated speed. But let me tell ya this bow is no slouch in the speed dept. This think cranks arrows to the target with blistering speed. It has a relatively short brace height and this was apparent with my average form. I had a tough time tuning this bow today due to 30 mph wind gusts and form errors. I finally realized that it was poor follow through that was causing occasional erratic flight. Once I started concentrating harder on my form my arrow flight started improving greatly, I was able to get my centershot set and my sights adjusted and I was drilling bullseyes. This bow is definitely less forgiving by far than my old bow which had a 7" brace height itself.

The first thing I noticed when drawing this bow is it draws so smooth. Partly due to the speed bearings in the cams and also due to the design of the Nitrous cams. These cams are gaining a reputation of blistering speed and a super smooth draw from what I have been reading and they are not lying. I mean there is no hump whatsoever. There is not much, if any, creep at full draw. If you do it is coming down. But once you are settled in to the wall it is so comfortable to hold that you can almost hold it forever it feels.

It has an adjustable draw stop on the cam that lets you fine tune the draw length after the initial setting as well as giving you a rock solid wall. The draw stop is on one cam but since the Nitrous cams are slaved to each other with the bus cables there is no chance of timing issues once the initial cam timing is set. This bow can either have the Nitrous 1.5 which draw length adjusts from 25-28" or the Nitrous 2.0 cam which draw adjusts from 27-30." I ordered this bow with the 45-60 lb limbs and a 28" draw length. It came to my door set at 28" draw and the draw stop set dead center (halfway between the + and - sign).

The bow has quick disconnects for the stabilizer and the string stop. The limbs are 1.5" wide like the new Mathews limbs. I thought the finish was pretty nice. The grip saddle has a pad that is made of some sort of rubber.

I put between 75-100 arrows through this bow today and my shoulder cannot even tell. I honestly don't feel like I have shot more than a dozen shots from my old bow. After 60 shots or so the string stretched a little and the peep was out of alignment. I brought it inside and pressed it and put 1/2 twist in the string to correct and went back outside for the photo shoot.

My overall review is alot of bow for the money. I paid $469 dollars for this bow from Fishing and Hunting USA, a proud AT sponsor, with an AT discount. Most places are selling this bow for $100 more. He priced me an Onza at $499 and most places are selling them for $599. I equipped this bow with a NAP Apache drop away containment rest, a peep sight, and a Tru Glo 5 pin sight.

This bow is blazing fast, accurate, smooooth drawing, lightweight, very quiet and shock free, and a short (32.25") axle to axle length. I am not disappointed. Pick one up yourself and give it a try.

IMG_5155.JPGIMG_5176.jpg
    IMG_5162.jpgIMG_5163.JPG
    IMG_5165.JPGIMG_5166.JPG
    IMG_5167.jpgIMG_5169.JPG
    IMG_5171.JPGIMG_5172.JPG
    Everyones an expert. If you don't believe me, just ask them.

2012 Martin Silencer Nitro cams
    1997 Martin Speed Demon, Z Cams

Great review and pics! Dig the camo cams.

Yea I like em too. Gonna be a good turkey bow.

Sweet looking bow indeed! Martin has an awesome 2012 line-up and you get a lot of bow for not a ton of cash.

Love your cloaked cams! Those look awesome!
    Rules for posting in the Classifieds-Please click on the link: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/announ....php?f=8&a=168

Proud Staff Shooter for T.R.U Ball releases, Black Eagle Arrows, ProLine Bow Strings, Bohning Archery, Bling Sling & Onestringer Arrow Wraps

good looking bow, thanks 4 the info on it. wish the nitro cams would hit 31-32" draw, like a silencer xl..

Martin does have a great lineup for 2012. I Got my Cougar FC in the other day and it is a wonderful bow easy to tune and fast and quiet. The pad on the grip saddle is leather i a thinking about taking mine off and shooting just riser so that the bow pulls me into the grip instead of me sticking to the pad.
    2011 Strother SX-1 Predator---------->2010 Strother Inspire----------->2012 Martin Cougar FC-------->2010 HCA X10
    JBK Bowstrings

Nice man congrats.....I got mine 2days ago in black and 70lb... I have a thread where I was going to do a review myself and I have a chrono also. I guess I'll share my opinion too and we are going to be the only two ppl with reviews on this bow haha

Sweat rig!
    "let the fans make the noise" -jh

Quote Originally Posted by italiabowhunter View Post
    Nice man congrats.....I got mine 2days ago in black and 70lb... I have a thread where I was going to do a review myself and I have a chrono also. I guess I'll share my opinion too and we are going to be the only two ppl with reviews on this bow haha
    Yea I would love to see the chrono results. I am shooting bow at max weight of 60 lbs with 5575 gold tips cut to 29" and 100 gr tips. And this thing smokes em to the target.

I suspected the grip saddle coulb be leather when I was typing it up. But the family was waiting for me to get done so we could go watch the amazing race lol so I didn't take the time to go grab it and look for sure.

Nice bow...but its bass ackwards. Lol
    '09 HCA Speed Pro
    '14 HCA Axis

High Country Archery-the fastest bows under warranty

469? wow. Im thinking of sending him a pm . I really love the FC cougar pro w/nitros, wonder what that would cost

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_Shooter1 View Post
    Yea I would love to see the chrono results. I am shooting bow at max weight of 60 lbs with 5575 gold tips cut to 29" and 100 gr tips. And this thing smokes em to the target.

I suspected the grip saddle coulb be leather when I was typing it up. But the family was waiting for me to get done so we could go watch the amazing race lol so I didn't take the time to go grab it and look for sure.
    Hey so I put my Silencer thruogh the chrono..my setup is at 68lb, 29 inch DL, 410gr arrow Beaman ICS hunter 340, just a loop on the string because i use a hindsight, trophy hunter fallaway rest.
    I ran it 3 times the speeds i got were 305 fps, 302 fps, 303 fps..so on average 303 fps. According to backcountry speed calculator the IBO im hitting is 337 fps which is 3 fps below advertized 340 fps which is really really good!!!!
    Im really happy with the result. when i get home from work i will do my review in more detail!!!

great review. the silencer is a fabulous bow. i love mine!
    2012 Rytera Nemesis -- Limbsaver Windjammer 7" Stabilizer -- Sword Twilight Hunter -- QAD HD Bone Collector Drop Away Rest-- Beman ICS Hunter Elite 438 Grains -- Broad heads: QAD Exodus Swept Back & G5 T3!

+2 What Kyle said..... Love my Silencers!

Great review and really liked the camo cams....

Awesome! I can tell its fast when I shoot it.

Excelellent recview and pictures. Thanks for posting. Definitely considering this bow. If there are any Martin Dealers that may have one for a test drive withing 60 mi of Rochester NY please shoot me a PM.

You are making me want one. Martin sure gives value per dollar.
    2012 PSE Freak 42 barebow, Fingers
    2012 Hoyt Vector Turbo 50#, QAD,
    2010 Hoyt Alpha Max 50#,tt blade, 3D Hinge
    Bear Take-down 55# -- Martin X200 @45#-- Martin Savannah @35#
    Working on a "warf" Hoyt Spectra

Ive had mine for 3 days...agree with all the above...definitely an awesome bow

Your right there. I love mine still.

thanks for the awesome review! picked up a silencer! cant wait to try the thing!

How close to the draw stop is the cables? They look pretty darn close to hitting it.
    "If there is a sacred moment in the ethical pursuit of game, it is the moment you release the arrow or touch off the fatal shot." --Jim Posewitz

Quote Originally Posted by l3rian View Post
    How close to the draw stop is the cables? They look pretty darn close to hitting it.
    ???? Nothing hits. What do you mean?

I just ordered mine with the Nitro cams also. Dealer said Martin is shiping within 2 days of order. Can't wait!

Great review of the Martin! I started out long ago with a Martin so I have a real soft spot for them. I've not owned one in years but every year I read peoples reviews like yours. Seems like most guys are plenty happy with the Martin line. Congrats on your new bow!!

Norm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast