a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Low Carb

Low Carb

Many won't agree with this, but I and others feel it is accurate. Short term carb restriction is fine and necessary if getting ready for a show, but for long term use, I feel it is detrimental to your health. I think Paleo is the best route, but they did eat roots, leaves, bark, or anything else they could eat regardless if it had carbs or not. They just didn't have any food so they ate what they could. Yams and tubers were an important staple in their diet and they are carb laden. Here is an article from an expert with 40 years of dieting knowledge. The part that I find interesting is the mention about calcium excretion. Hopefully, we can discuss this civilly.

http://scottabel.blogspot.ca/2012/03...in-really.html

I think the carbs we are taking in today are a lot different then the carbs they ate way back. Look at the average americans diet and how many carbs they are taking in. I can almost guarantee it is way more then they need, which is why there is a problem with obesity in the U.S. Everyone is eating "fat free" stuff cause that's what is good for us, right? But everything that is convenient and fast is full of carbs. Just my opinion.
    Darton DS 3800

It's rather quite simple; You either do it or you don't!

Carbs are fine. Eating them at the right times is what most struggle with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mathews Z7 - classic
    Hoyt Vector 32 - Bone Collector
    Hoyt Spyder 30

Quote Originally Posted by HOYTLVR View Post
    I think the carbs we are taking in today are a lot different then the carbs they ate way back. Look at the average americans diet and how many carbs they are taking in. I can almost guarantee it is way more then they need, which is why there is a problem with obesity in the U.S. Everyone is eating "fat free" stuff cause that's what is good for us, right? But everything that is convenient and fast is full of carbs. Just my opinion.
    I agree, but some if not a lot of the fat free stuff isn't good for us.

i think there are a few problems with carb comsumption in modern societies. first and foremost, our main carbohydrate staple, wheat, is not fit for human comsumption. like you said initially, if people actually ate starchy tubers, etc as their main carb source, that would be a great start. secondly, the term "paleo" means different things to different people. from an evolutionary standpoint, a "paleo" diet for south americans would include yams and starchy tubers, for inuit people, it would not. depending on the region of the world where your people evolved and adapted, the food choices you had would have been limited. fast forward to modern times, a lot of the paleo gurus preach low carb. i think this is extremely effective for rapid fat loss and in order to help repair damaged metabolisms. that being said, our modern interpretation of low carb is also a little skewed. the average american consumes 300-400 or more grams of carbs per day. this should not be considered average or standard by any means. for me, high carb is 200 grams. and that's a ton of carbs to eat in one day. like i have said in other posts, i tend to cycle my carbs, kinda trying to be as paleo as possible. early humans wouldn't have had endless stockpiles of sweet potatoes and white rice to cook up at will. they would have come across these things while foraging and gorged themselves on them. same with a beehive full of honey or a raspberry bush. furthermore, those rich carb sources are seasonal. 10,000 years ago, heck, 100 years ago, you didn't drive yourself down to wegmans and pick up fresh strawberries in the middle of the winter. the idea of eating locally and eating seasonally is much closer to what eating "paleo" would be. one more thing, i also agree with dmax on the carb timing idea... the ideal time for carb consumption is post workout.

All great points - the real difference is how our body handles the different carbs, how they are absorbed and how quickly.

When you think of "natural" heavy fiber type carbs there is only so much we can eat at a sitting, they are fuller, and harder to consume compared to a pile of donuts or cookies

I really like the "primal" or "paleo" method of eating - I do think it has HUGE health benefits much further than what we see on the scale. However my biggest hold up is getting the veggies, never been a fan of them. I only like the bad ones, or actually the starches in the group.
    Kevin Garceau

Owner: G-Force Archery and Outdoors
    Custom high performance arrows built to your needs.
    I can help with any and all archery accessory needs at competitive pricing

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Only View Post
    I agree, but some if not a lot of the fat free stuff isn't good for us.
    Yeah, that was a little sarcasm i was using. Everyone thinks nonfat means healthy when in fact it is usually packed with more sugar.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Darton DS 3800

It's rather quite simple; You either do it or you don't!

carbs are essential for weight management.
    Just depens on what you want to do, and use carbs accordingly
    Cycle North Powersports Prince George, BC Canada
    National 3d champion
    Provincial indoor fita champion
    Bow Hunter and avid outdoorsman

Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Dmax said basically what I was going to, you need carbs and the more active you are the more of them you need. I have found that I lose weight and can take in up to 150g a day and 2000 calories. The thing is most are in the afternoon or morning before workouts and activity. You dont want to sit down to 5 slices of bread and pasta every night at 7pm then go to bed 2 hours later.