Thread: Target Panic!!

Target Panic!!

I started shooting competively within the last couple years and never experianced "target Panic". I shot spots this year and started experiancing target panic! just started shooting some foam and my target panic has carried over and its even worse than ever! cant settle in without wanting to punch trigger etc! never had any of these issues!!! what can i do to conquer this!!

One theory of the cause of target panic is that it is a shot sequence that is shot out of sequence or missing a step. The cure is to first write down a shot sequence. In your case, be sure to put "settle in at anchors" before execution. You also want to find a way to execute that doesn't involve your finger doing anything to cause the trigger to release.

Then you go to a blank bale and practice the sequence one step at a time until you can't do it any other way. Without a target to aim at, you should be able to settle in before executing. This will take a long time, at least a month and probably two. There is a good explanation of the process in the book "Idiot Proof Archery". The second step is the bridge. Also explained in the book. It's a long disciplined approach to TP, but you will come out the other side with control over your shot.

On triggering the release. It sounds like you are shooting a wrist release. The book also gives a good explanation of how to shoot those without any action or movement by your index finger.

This process isn't easy because you are re-training your subconscious. But don't be discouraged. You can do it!

Good luck,
    Allen

Get yourself a Stan Element and spend every available moment shooting that release. I also suggest getting a Saunders Firing Line Release trainer. Attach a d-Loop on it and with your Stan Element release you can practice and practice till ya have become accustomed to the release. Stan also makes some Hinge Releases that have a pin you can unscrew from the body and then screw it into the head of it and you can actually draw your bow with no arrow and practice firing the release (but not the bow). I have the large version in a 4 finger it is a Stan Black Pearl DS and I bought the clicker for it too that is sold separately. I also have the Medium 4 finger Stan Black Ice.You can click on Lancaster's Archery Supply and take a peek at them. All the Releases I mentioned can and will help you beat Target Panic IF you put the time in to do it.
    ~ Light Em' Up & Shoot Em' Up with ZBros Archery Sight Lights ~

Thx guys!!

Take your time & follow the steps in Idiotproof archery. If you skip ahead to early you will need to start over. I went thru it & now shoot every shot with back tension & shoot better than ever. GOOD LUCK.

No particular release is the answer. Most of the guys I've helped (link below) have tried many releases, including the one mentioned above. Fact is, a BT release is only a patch, the real objective should be to get one's minds - conscious and subconscious - back in harmony with one another. There is no one way to do this, but it must be accomplished before you'll be permanently rid of TP.
    TARGET PANIC - Extricate it forever from your archery life with the fastest working, simplest, most powerful tool you'll ever find. Holding low, punching, snap shooting, flinching, lock-up, etc. Find several of your AT friends who have already done so on the REVIEWS page at UltimateArcherySolution (add the "dot-com") . Use your AT membership discount code: ATF2 for 20% off. Member, Archery Trade Association

Quote Originally Posted by AJ the TP Guru View Post
    No particular release is the answer. Most of the guys I've helped (link below) have tried many releases, including the one mentioned above. Fact is, a BT release is only a patch, the real objective should be to get one's minds - conscious and subconscious - back in harmony with one another. There is no one way to do this, but it must be accomplished before you'll be permanently rid of TP.
    ^^^This is true. A BT release might help for a while.... or it might not help at all, but you will never be rid of TP without starting from square one in your thinking. You have to relinquish control of the bow and the shot. Trust the bow to shoot the arrow. Until you do, you will be fighting it.
    Z7 -FMJ 340- Hellrazor & Rage 40KE
    The character of a man can be measured by the character of those that consider him an enemy.

does anyone have the book idiot proof archery?? will buy!

get some pro help fast. get it done and over with......90% of the people who do not will suffer forever... its a disease.... just reading a book on the subject will open the mind to a real bad world....... i have seen countless great shooters who have read books, articles etc. just to catch the disease....so there is my warning.